Verification of weighing scale 150kg capacity 0.05g accuracy

Dongzkie

Involved In Discussions
Just for example I want to verify a weighing scale 150kg capacity 0.05g accuracy. If this are my test wts calibration result (20kg each) : 19.996, 19.996, 19.993,19.994 and 19.990, If I am going to verify the scale to 40kg, so I am going to add the results of two test weights as reference 19.996 + 19.996=39.992kg? or 19.99 + 19.99=39.98kg? which of this reference were correct 39.992kg or 39.98kg ? should i include adding the last digit?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would say that the first point is that you need to verify the scales at several points, if a 150kg scale. I would select zero, then something close to the 150kg, perhaps 140kg, then three other points.

Given you state it as a verification and not calibration, you get a bit more leeway.

You mention 20kg, so it should be a point.

Then trend your results. Excel can do this over time.

Oh, the mass standards you use need to be calibrated by an accredited calibration lab with MASS in the scope - NOT scales and balance. Also, use gloves to handle the mass standards.

Hope this helps.

notadog

Involved In Discussions
When you add the weights what is the scale displaying? I would say if it is displaying what the weight is then it's verified and as long as the weight has been cal'd then the scale is cal'd. Counting scales are a little different. They can be out of cal and still count correctly. So be cautious.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
need some more explanations. :)
In order to help better, so do we. :)
Type of scale, stated accuracy--not the same thing as readability/resolution, and is 0.05g the internal or display resolution or the actual accuracy statement?
The ratio of 0.05g to 150kg FS is 3,000,000:1, better than anything I've found from the scale house mfr's (2,000,000:1, and that was internal resolution for a counting scale, and not for 150kg). Are you sure 0.05g is correct?

As for the test masses, I would add the full individual values and then round the result if needed. But this all seems too simplified to me. Where's the mass uncertainty or tolerance, and what will you do with it?

Dongzkie

Involved In Discussions
sorry my mistake its 0.05kg :rolleyes:
1.)as for example ( 2 test weights ) : calibration result 19.998 and 19.996 unc of meas is +/-0.002kg, if im going to add the two wts it would be 39.994kg as my reference, if my scale's actual reading is 40.00kg, the error is 0.01kg?
2.) what if ill just add excluding the last digit 0.008 and 0.006, 19.99+19.99=39.98kg as my reference, is this correct?
In order to help better, so do we. :)
Type of scale, stated accuracy--not the same thing as readability/resolution, and is 0.05g the internal or display resolution or the actual accuracy statement?
The ratio of 0.05g to 150kg FS is 3,000,000:1, better than anything I've found from the scale house mfr's (2,000,000:1, and that was internal resolution for a counting scale, and not for 150kg). Are you sure 0.05g is correct?

As for the test masses, I would add the full individual values and then round the result if needed. But this all seems too simplified to me. Where's the mass uncertainty or tolerance, and what will you do with it?

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
I will assume the test weights were calibrated at the same time and place by the same reference masses. Therefor, since their uncertainties have the same source directly, they are correlated.
I would not round or truncate the test wt. values, and the uncertainties add linearly, not RSS.
(19.998 ?0.002) kg +
(19.996 ?0.002) kg =
-------------------
(39.994 ?0.004) kg; (39.990 to 39.998) kg.

If the reading is 40.00 kg, then the indicated error could be from 0.00 to 0.01. Remember, the 0.05kg is likely the readability/resolution, not the accuracy (perhaps 0.1% FS?). The scale should be ok even though it reads 0.01kg high.
This is all superficial and not at all rigorous, but I hope it helps.

A

Automatic

Just for example I want to verify a weighing scale 150kg capacity 0.05g accuracy. If this are my test wts calibration result (20kg each) : 19.996, 19.996, 19.993,19.994 and 19.990, If I am going to verify the scale to 40kg, so I am going to add the results of two test weights as reference 19.996 + 19.996=39.992kg? or 19.99 + 19.99=39.98kg? which of this reference were correct 39.992kg or 39.98kg ? should i include adding the last digit?
If the two masses are KNOWN and you're doing a span calibration at 40.000kg, you'll use the sum of the value. I would focus on corner load and repeatability.

This is one of the most common misunderstanding. The smallest change that can be read by a scale is called resolution. This may or may not be the same as the "e" value. Usually, it is not.

A 100kg x 0.05 resolution will be rated d=0.05, but the e value will most likely be 0.1 to 0.5. The "e" value is the smallest unit that can be used for pricing.

You shouldn't be using precision weights except for the span verification and calibration adjustment. Something like plastic coated gym dumbells or buckets of sand are adequate for linearity and repeatability. You really just need to write down the value for one of them.

Say dumbell one reads 20.755kg. Ok, well write it down. We'll call it "x".
Weigh it repeatedly ten times and take the standard deviation of all the values. Check that the STANDARD DEVIATION is within specs.
20.760, 20.750, 20.755 . . . .

Start in the middle, then measure half way to each direction and document. if the spec is +/- 10g at about 20kg, it means if the middle reads 20.755kg, left reads 20.735, right reads 20.775, it's out of specs.

Linearity is another.
no load + x
add about 20kg, zero, then add x
add about 40kg, zero then add x.
so forth until you get near 150kg

Hysteresis:
Repeat in increasing and decreasing direction and compare the difference.
Preload the scale to about 40kg. zero. add the 20.755kg dumbell. When you read 20.765 going up, that's a 10g linearity error. Zero it, then remove the dumbell. If you read minus 20.750 this time, your hysteresis in this span range is 15g.

A scale could have a passing span calibration using one precision weight right in the dead center and only in the ascending direction. This is the "accuracy check" as often mistakenly called. Scales can pass this and fail the other tests miserably. Normally failure of corner load and hysteresis is caused by cell damage.

Dongzkie

Involved In Discussions
So do you mean that it is recommended or required that adding 2 test weights should be calibrated at the same time in a accredited labs?
Thanks..
I will assume the test weights were calibrated at the same time and place by the same reference masses. Therefor, since their uncertainties have the same source directly, they are correlated.
I would not round or truncate the test wt. values, and the uncertainties add linearly, not RSS.
(19.998 ?0.002) kg +
(19.996 ?0.002) kg =
-------------------
(39.994 ?0.004) kg; (39.990 to 39.998) kg.

If the reading is 40.00 kg, then the indicated error could be from 0.00 to 0.01. Remember, the 0.05kg is likely the readability/resolution, not the accuracy (perhaps 0.1% FS?). The scale should be ok even though it reads 0.01kg high.
This is all superficial and not at all rigorous, but I hope it helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
Q Weighing (Weight) Scales Verification - Blank weight of material General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
I IATF 2016 - 8.5.1.4 Verification after shutdown due to COVID19 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
A Our auditor told if we didn't have a patent we would have to do a validation or verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
J Verification of purchased product / Alexa as a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A What to do when 100 % verification is not 100 % Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
D 510K and Changes to Verification and Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Verification/release medical device modules Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
Ed Panek Label verification and validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
D Supplied item design verification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Ronen E A Rational Basis for Design Verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Medical Device Design verification sample prototype Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
I Medical device Validation/Verification template ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G KPC & KCC verification and updates FMEA and Control Plans 15
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
F AS9100 D - Verification of purchased product - Sheet metal and aluminum extrusion stock AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
S Testing (Evaluation of) and Verification of Employee Color Vision Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna Informational AS13100 A - Delegated Product Verification Training Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
E Sample size for design verification of variable in single use device Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
S Source of QMS templates including templates for design verification/design validation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Document review is a kind of verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S VoC (Verification of Conformance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S DO 178B - What is the difference between review and verification? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
Ed Panek Verification & Validation requirements - Patch that adheres to skin ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Deviation in Design verification Other Medical Device Related Standards 6