Verification Process for the existing MDS Product

Hirvo

Starting to get Involved
Next question:
we need to create the Verification and Validation Process (for our cloud based software). The product has been developed about 6 years ago (a startup these times) and in use. Nowadays practically all the development tasks, which are done, are changes and improvements. What do you advise:
- Should we write the process as we were making a new project once again or
- should we write only the verification of the development tasks (for what we use agile method)?
- Or should we write the process as it was done (nobody knows anymore...:)).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
You posted this in the 62304 forum so I presume you're aware of the content. Sounds like your best approach is to take the "legacy software" approach. Realize it's far more than just verification! You'll start by conducting the risk management activities, then define the safety class, then do a complete gap analysis. One of your gap closure activities will certainly be software system testing (verify that the requirements and risk control measures) are met.

Do note that prior to the discussion on legacy software, there is a general requirement that you have a quality management system.

Hirvo

Starting to get Involved
Yes, we have a large risk analyse done. Just thinking how to create the documents. We have a Product Maintenance Process described and I wonder if that can include the verification and validation or do we need to have own document for that (I think it would be easier to read and get the big picture they are in the same document, but I was advised by a consultant to make a separate document about it - I wonder why...)

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
From what you describe, I think I'd have to agree with the consultant. The Product Maintenance Process is just that - process. The verification and validation document(s) is(are) a set of protocols, test results, and reports (with conclusions). The Product Maintenance Process might call out that the V&V work is done prior to releasing an update but you want to let those protocols be managed independently of the Process.

Oh, and just to be clear, a gap analysis is not the same as a risk analysis. I presume you're aware of that but from the last post, I wasn't sure. The gap analysis may show that you don't have a (proper) software architecture document (per the standard). You would need to assess that gap to determine how to close it.

Hirvo

Starting to get Involved
Thank you - sorry, I was unclear ...

At the moment we have
- V&V Process
- Product Maintenance Process

Records/documents/test results
- Verification reports

And my question actually was, if it is wise to write V&V Process, if we have same things described in the Product Maintenance Process...

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
As far as processes go, my rules of thumb are:
  • Do what makes sense for your company (and meet the requirements, of course)
  • Don't duplicate information
Without knowing more, it would be hard to really say if you need both but sounds like there's room for improvement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S "Process Verification" of manual process Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Annex II List A IVDs - Batch Verification Process EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S SAE AS9015 Supplier Self Verification Process - Delegation Programs. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Verification of Process Changes (AS9100 clause 7.5.1.2) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
V Sampling Plan for Final Inspection and Process Verification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
G AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 Production Process Verification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Production Process Verification - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
D Verification Requirements in a Machining Process Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
D Precision Balance Verification and Calibration Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Sample Size in Design Verification & Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Can Process Validation actually be Design Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
Z Incoming Verification process utilizing the supply base Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Differences between Sample Sixes for Design Verification vs. Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Difference between Process Verification vs. Process Validation in APQP? APQP and PPAP 4
A CPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Verification and Validation Process Steps Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Q Verification / Validation methods - 8D (Eight Disciplines) process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Sampling Plan - The process involves verification of employment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D Design and Process - Validation vs. Verification - What is the difference? Design and Development of Products and Processes 20
I Process Verification And Aproval - Phase 4 of APQP APQP and PPAP 3
placebo_master Verification Protocols - when to implement them (and when to skip in lieu of a report) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Software (SaMD) mobile application verification testing: objective evidence Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
J Verification of purchased product / supplier questionnaires ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Verification of the purchased products which are services, like continuous IT services ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C 8.3.4 Verification and Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Compendial method verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
P Software verification and validation procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
S How to perform verification of the Statistical Analysis Software? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
M Sample record for verification performed by importers before placing a device on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Calibration/Verification of customer fixtures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Calibration verification records 7.1.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M ISO14971:2019 - Verification of implementation and effectiveness of risk control ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C Stress / Challenge Conditions for Design Verification Testing to Reduce Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
A Verification protocol example Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Q Sampling method for Distributor verification activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Design Verification Sample Size vs Repeats Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9