Verification that Manufacturing Equipment has maintained a Validated State

D

dedvalson

I am a QA manager with a growing medical device company, I have been tasked with setting up a workflow to verify production line equipment has remained in a validated state after it has been taken off the line for a repair.
Is there any guidance documents or industry standard practices which I could model my workflow from?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

I'm not aware of any standard practice to achieve the above, and honestly, I don't think you need one. "Verify" is just a fancy word for "make sure", IMHO, and "workflow" just conveys an expectation (by whoever tasked you with it) that you explain how you're going to do it. In simple words: "show me how you're going to make sure that that equipment is still in it's validated state."

Of course, the simplest way would be to re-validate it. I'm quite sure you want to avoid that.

The other thing you could do is just "walk through" the last validation report, and make sure that all the stated and implied premises still hold, and that all the validation's outputs (parameter settings, control plans, other recommendations etc.) are implemented, as before the equipment was taken off for repair. Perhaps you should also prepare a monitoring plan (not an extensive one) for the first 1-3 months of operation post-repair, to avoid any surprises - weigh the risks and decide whether this is worth the resources.

Since a "workflow" was required, I'd just put all the above, in sufficient detail, in a written plan, and submit.

Please let me know if I completely missed the point...

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Agree with Ronen (as usual). It's typical to do some kind of demonstration to prove the repairs didn't break anything. If it's too costly, the effort can be done (as Ronen suggested) with increased monitoring. The walkthrough of the last validation report is a good way to structure a risk-based decision on whatever you do end up doing. An FMEA assessing what could go wrong after / as a result of the repair is another good method.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Depending on the type of equipment, it may be appropriate to keep samples of "known" quantities, and simply take measurements on these to ensure you get the expected results.

D

dedvalson

Thank you all for the suggestions, all the ideas given will be a big help to start implementing a workflow.

V

Vthouta

You could simply make a template for Verification and Validation form in a word doc :

Scope of Validation:
(Description of Change – Eg: A new equipment being used for first time, created new tooling for customer and validating the requirements, in-house fixture, etc)

Fixture Used for the validation (if applicable):
(Mention the asset number)

Verified the calibration of Fixture Used: (Yes/No)
(Document the cal due date of the fixture used along with Asset number)

Tools used for Validation:

Verified the calibration of tools Used: (Yes/No)
(Document the cal due date of the tools used along with Asset number)

Performed By: Date:
Validation Method:
(Mention the validation method used while performing the verification and validation)

Statistical sample size used for verification and validation:
Verification & Validation results:
(List down all the results of the verification performed that meets specifications and document the validation results by processing an ECN if required to prove the change)

Comments:

Dispositioned By:
Position: Date:

You can revise the format as per your needs and also could add the monitoring,etc.

Vik

V

Vthouta

Since you are working in growing medical device industry this could be a good read based on your application

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm064971.htm

For process validation - http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM070336.pdf

Based on this document, you can tweak according to your needs. I do completely agree with Ronen that there is no specific standard practice, but if you comply to FDA CGMP it would be a good practice to begin now and helpful in long run.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Since you are working in growing medical device industry this could be a good read based on your application

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm064971.htm

For process validation - http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM070336.pdf

Based on this document, you can tweak according to your needs. I do completely agree with Ronen that there is no specific standard practice, but if you comply to FDA CGMP it would be a good practice to begin now and helpful in long run.
I didn't refer to a "standard practice" for equipment validation (in fact I do know a few of those); rather, I was addressing what the OP was after - a "standard practice" for verifying that the equipment is still in a validated state (i.e. doesn't require re-validation).

Cheers,
Ronen.

G

Grimaskr

I'm not sure if it's applicable to the medical industry, but in various electronics manufacturing plants I've worked in we do a checklist and 'release to production' form after maintenance or engineering experiments have tampered with manufacturing equipment.

It's just a tickler list that asks questions like:
  • Have all safety features (shield, guards, alarms, etc) been reactivated?
  • Have all facilities (water, power, air, etc) been re-connected and checked?
  • Have all process controls (vision systems, guides, etc) been checked?
  • Does any of this maintenance/engineering activity require re-validation of product before release to production?
  • And various other types of reminder questions.
The engineer responsible for the equipment needs to sign off on the checklist before Production starts running parts again. It serves as a good reminder system and shows auditors that you are double-checking things after tampering with equipment.

But again, I'm not familiar with medical industry rules/regs... so I don't know if this is applicable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Print Label Verification for Medical Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
NDesouza Verification of Supplier RCCAs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
I IATF 2016 - 8.5.1.4 Verification after shutdown due to COVID19 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
A Our auditor told if we didn't have a patent we would have to do a validation or verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
J Verification of purchased product / Alexa as a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A What to do when 100 % verification is not 100 % Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
D 510K and Changes to Verification and Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Verification/release medical device modules Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
Ed Panek Label verification and validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
D Supplied item design verification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Ronen E A Rational Basis for Design Verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Medical Device Design verification sample prototype Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
I Medical device Validation/Verification template ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G KPC & KCC verification and updates FMEA and Control Plans 15
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
F AS9100 D - Verification of purchased product - Sheet metal and aluminum extrusion stock AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Testing (Evaluation of) and Verification of Employee Color Vision Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna Informational AS13100 A - Delegated Product Verification Training Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
E Sample size for design verification of variable in single use device Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
S Source of QMS templates including templates for design verification/design validation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Document review is a kind of verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S VoC (Verification of Conformance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S DO 178B - What is the difference between review and verification? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1