Verification vs. Calibration and what to do with the results of each

R

rika_ndry

dear all,
i have some problem with verification and calibration. my question is :
1. why do we have to do a verification for a tool before we used it? eventhough that tool already been calibrated.
2. what i should do with the data calibration result and with the data verification result? should i just choose one of the data to become the standard? if i should choose standard from data calibration result......then what i should do with the data verification result.
i'm so confused...hope someone can help me
thanks.....waiting for reply

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

silvestri

Hello Rika,
I think I can help you only on question #1, because for the second (measurement systems analysis) there are covers much more qualified and experienced than me. They will reply as soon as they wake up... :D

Measurement system verification:
Let's use a little example: your measurement system is a 20 cm ruler screwed on a working table.

We can say that before starting working with it, you should have the evidence that the accuracy of the tool is suitable for the expected measurements. in other words, the bias is not affecting the measurement reliability (let's forget for the moment repeatebility, reproducibility and linearity). in simpler words: that 20 cm are 20 cm plus/minus a negligible something...

But, once you have decided that this ruler is ok for your process, what can happen during the time? Is it necessary to put the ruler in a calibration plan? In other words, the ruler length could change?
in my opinion this event is not very probable.

It's more likely that the friction of the hands and tools on it could cancel the printed digits, or some sharp and heavy object could deform or break it...
That's why a verification is necessary. Because a damaged or difficult-to-read ruler can return a non-accurate measurement.

That's why the measurement system verification is not less important than a calibration and that's why in a working quality system it shall be planned, executed, registered and the results reviewed in order to look for improvement.

Please note that the calibration process doesn't exclude the verification: a caliper with the bent stem (stem?) f.i. after a fall on the ground, returns a bad meausurement, even if it had been calibrated two days before....

U

Umang Vidyarthi

dear all,
i have some problem with verification and calibration. my question is :
1. why do we have to do a verification for a tool before we used it? eventhough that tool already been calibrated.
2. what i should do with the data calibration result and with the data verification result? should i just choose one of the data to become the standard? if i should choose standard from data calibration result......then what i should do with the data verification result.
i'm so confused...hope someone can help me
thanks.....waiting for reply
Silvestri has given you very good advise. Before commencing use of any tool, it is essential to "Verify" that the said tool is in sound working condition. A calibration lable does not ensure that the tool is free from any deformation -due to handling between calib duration.

2. The verification results tells you that the tool used - in betweeen the calib duration - was in good stead. The calibration result tells you that the tool is true within specs, and is not out of tolerance.

Verification results and calibration results can not be swapped or substituted. Which data needs retention for what period depends on your procedure order.

Hope this helps

Umang :D

B

blueicecube

Hi rika_Ndry

"1. why do we have to do a verification for a tool before we used it? eventhough that tool already been calibrated."

- because of the reliability curve of the instrument (we will never know when it can breakdown, something like an insurance & a peace of mind before we use the instrument to measure what we don't know)

"2. what i should do with the data calibration result and with the data verification result? should i just choose one of the data to become the standard? if i should choose standard from data calibration result......then what i should do with the data verification result."

- Previously I did the following (assuming that when you say 'standard' you meant the actual/true value coming out from the instrument)

1. We use the calibration data as the accepted tolerance for the verification of the instrument (provided verificaition is performed by a higher precision instrument or at least, equivalent that is referred as a standard)

2. As for the verification & calibration data, we use it to 'monitor' the performance of the instrument i.e something like a control chart to monitor the condition of the instrument (i.e when there's a trend bias high or bias low, we know that the instrument require servicing/extra checking etc)

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Verification of Calibration Results - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Calibration/Verification Records (IATF 16949 7.1.5.2.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D How to set equipment calibration/verification criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Calibration and Verification Records Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Calibration and Verification requirement for foreign EASA Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 7
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Gauges (Measuring Jigs) Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Calibration/Verification Records - IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.2.1 f) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 "Calibration/Verification Records" Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Using Caliper A to verify Caliper B - Verification of Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Verification instead of calibration?(ISO 9001:2008) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 10
K "Verification of Calibration" - CMM arm General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
I Verification or calibration Fluke 8508a with 5720a? TUR not 4:1? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Q Number of Calibration Verification Points - Calipers, height gages, etc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A Calibration/Verification of thermo-hygrometer in storage areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
G Is this Calibration or Verification ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
D How Working Standard Calibration result use in Verification of Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Calibration Certification Qualification vs. Verification by Uncertified Staff General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
AshleyE Torque Wrench Calibration/Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
G BRC (British Retail Consortium) - Calibration vs. Verification Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
G TS-16949 7.6.2 ? Calibration/Verification Records - Assessment of the Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
JodiB Balance Calibration Verification question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
JodiB Log Book for Analytical Balance Calibration Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Uriel Alejandro How to Record Evidence for Verification/Calibration of Equipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
M Establishing Ranges for Weights for Calibration Verification of a Micro-Balance Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
H Analytical Balance Calibration and Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Precision Balance Verification and Calibration Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Equipment Verification and Calibration Report Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Record Retention requirements of Calibration and Verification Service Providers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K Calibration and Verification Records - TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P Is it compulsory to send new measuring equipment for calibration / verification? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
D Calibration vs. Verification and Measurement Device Labeling General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Basis used for Calibration or Verification of Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar stock ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M Methods for Verification/Calibration of Video (Optical) Extensometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Updating our Laboratory Calibration / Verification Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Difference between Calibration & Verification and How to calibrate Go/No Go gauge? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Audit and Calibration question - does verification alone meet the requirements? General Auditing Discussions 5
D Calibration vs. Verification - Can we calibrate dial indicators in-house? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Internal Calibration or Verification - Personnel Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Verification of calibration certificate Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
R Calibration (Verification) of RF cables General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Telescoping Gage - Calibration or Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Difference between Calibration, Verification and Adjust (Adjustment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Verification vs. Calibration of Dial Weight Dynamometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Definition Calibration vs. Verification of Calibration vs. Verification - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 47