Verification vs. Calibration of Dial Weight Dynamometer

C

clara

Hi everybody,
We have to calibrate our dial weight dynamometers but we don't have enough mean to do it.
Could you advice me if we can verify it instead of calibration and which procedure can be implemented.
Thanks very much for you help.
Clara

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi everybody,
We have to calibrate our dial weight dynamometers but we don't have enough mean to do it.
Could you advice me if we can verify it instead of calibration and which procedure can be implemented.
Thanks very much for you help.
Clara

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't have enough mean to do it," but whether or not you should do formal calibration (with traceable standards, and uncertainties calculated) is a function of the importance of the accuracy and repeatability of the measurements. How would you do what you're referring to as verification?

B

Benjamin28

You can use a verification rather than full calibration on any instrument as long as:

It doesn't violate client requirements
It doesn't violate requirements of your accreditation/registration

If it does violate one of these you can then pursue an option of obtaining a waiver from your client...I'm not sure a registrar or ab would issue a waiver...I've actually never come across that scenario before.

Your choice to do this should be based on a risk assessment and cost vs benefit. Don't just say we don't have money for this, be sure you know the financial repercussions if you should have measurement failure on these instruments.

If you are going to "verify" rather than "calibrate" are you going to use a nist traceable reference standard? If so this may be perfectly acceptable by your AB as long as it's based off of an acceptable method. Although if you're under ISO 17025 they'll still want to see a UC budget developed for it.

C

clara

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't have enough mean to do it," but whether or not you should do formal calibration (with traceable standards, and uncertainties calculated) is a function of the importance of the accuracy and repeatability of the measurements. How would you do what you're referring to as verification?

Dear Jim,
Sorry for my typing error.
My question is if we can not calibrate, can we verify this equipment to meet the 7.6 a requirement of AS9100?
Which document or procedure of torque verification can be used?
Thank you for your advices.
Clara

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Dear Jim,
Sorry for my typing error.
My question is if we can not calibrate, can we verify this equipment to meet the 7.6 a requirement of AS9100?
Which document or procedure of torque verification can be used?
Thank you for your advices.
Clara

I'll bow out here, as I have no experience in AS9100 and don't want to mislead you. I'm sure one of our aerospace experts will chime in.

Top Bottom