Verify paper print to CAD file so we can use the CAD models for inspection purposes

K

kdee122

We have customers that provide CAD models and paper prints for the products we manufacture. The customers have so far stated that the paper print is the master and that the model is ref. only.

Does anyone have a way to efficeintly verify the paper print to the cad model so we can use the models for inspection purposes.

Many of the products that we manufacture are very complex and it can take several days to write a CMM program to inspect a part working from the paper print.

Z

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Z – Welcome to the Cove….perhaps I can help a bit with this one.

First off, that is most unusual for the paper to be the master. Usually, it is the solid model that is the master. Most modern CAD systems derive the prints from the solid model. Changes made on the print would cause issues with the model.

Why does the customer say this? Is it because of notes, dimensioning, tolerancing. I could understand that. Can you ask why, and let them know you want to use their solid models for you CMM programming. I bet they will be ok with that.

The only other alternative is to have someone go thru the print and the model and do a feature by feature comparison.

Hello Z, and welcome to the Cove
bigwave-d2.gif
kdee122 said:
We have customers that provide CAD models and paper prints for the products we manufacture. The customers have so far stated that the paper print is the master and that the model is ref. only.
I agree with Carol. That sounds strange. Don't the prints come from the CAD model, and if not: what are they using the CAD model for?

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Claes Gefvenberg said:
Hello Z, and welcome to the Cove
bigwave-d2.gif
I agree with Carol. That sounds strange. Don't the prints come from the CAD model, and if not: what are they using the CAD model for?

/Claes
I echo Claes and Carol. This is a situation where you need open communication with your customer, so your Quality department and his can be as efficient as possible in ensuring the product conforms to requirements. It may very well be his Quality department would enjoy the same efficiencies as yours in using CAD files (Solid Works?)

Q

QualityJedi

If your customer states that the paper CAD is the master then you really have limited options regarding final inspection. Much like automotive inspection, when critical dimensions are called out on a print or spec sheet you should focus your analysis and measurements on what is approved for production/acceptance. If you are unsure of yourself or your decision I would agree with the advice of the previous posts and contact your customer. Another option, just to be safe, would be to submit a "First Piece" to your customer for evaluation and approval for use as your model.

K

kdee122

I am well aware of the advantages of using the model as master. I made the switch from automotive to aerospace and the customers seem to be in the stone age. The customer/s does not update the model with regularity and we often find inconsistances between the model and the 2D drawing.

We currently are attmepting to verifiy the model to the paper print by making our own 2D prints of the model and then verifiy that the dimensions are the same as the customer supplied 2D drawing. Do you have a more effective way to do this?

Z

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Can you import their model into your CAD system and then revise it to match the current drawing? This would eliminate the construction of your own 2D models.

Can you provide some more info on what CAD system you and your customer are using?

In my current position with my employer, one of my responsibilities is to import solid models from a variety of CAD programs into our system for engineering and inspection use. I may be able to give you some additional direction in this.

K

kdee122

We use Pro-E and have currently been importing and fixing/verifying the CAD model to the "paper" print. However I need to do this in a well documented, reliable and efficient manner.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
kdee122 said:
We use Pro-E and have currently been importing and fixing/verifying the CAD model to the "paper" print. However I need to do this in a well documented, reliable and efficient manner.
I don't know of any other method that would be more effcient at this time for you., unless you can get into a reverse engineering mode to create your solid. How well does Pro-E work at importing? I know we didn't select it as our import software because it couldn't support other formats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How to verify profile gages provided by customer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
K How to verify the Storage and Transport environmental condition for Medical Device Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
J How to verify the actual capacity of suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
V Regrinding Material - Verify whether a product contains any regrinding material Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
Q Using Caliper A to verify Caliper B - Verification of Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Tie-wrap pull test to verify contact retention Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D How to Calibrate and Verify a Heating Oven General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A How to Verify Supplier I-9 Forms for ITAR Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
O Creating a Tool to Track & Verify Mistake Proofing Devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
N What is the easiest way to verify we have the correct customer supplied materials? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
R IEC 62304 - 5.2.9 Verify Software Requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
B Verify GB/T 16886 is the same as ISO 10993 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A How to verify and validate the effectiveness of CAPA with regards to employees ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R IEC 62304 Section 5.3.6 Verify Software Architecture IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
R LKV Value: Can not verify Reliasoft Case Study Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Verify Software System Testing: Verify that results meet the Pass/Fail Criteria IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
L Gauge to test and verify a Set Square Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D What to verify on Test Setup for Environmental Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A When to verify and when to validate Design Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Since NIST # can not be used to verify Traceability - What an Auditor should do AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
C I need to verify the surface profile of a part - Sine plates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W How to verify/calibrate a Neptune Water Meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
optomist1 CMM Shortcomings - GD&T - Inability of CMMs to verify the MMC situation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C How to Calibrate and Verify Torque Multiplier Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J How do I continually Verify Compliance to my Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R A way to verify 7075 T0 Aluminum has been successfully Heat Treated to T6 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Ron Rompen Recommended Rockwell 30T Scale Hardness Tester to verify Incoming Product General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D How to verify a process that uses software to accomplish certain tasks? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
X Cannot Verify until Customer uses Product - Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Surface Plate Calibration - How to verify the flatness of a granite surface plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E How Do You VERIFY Customer Property? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Verify Accuracy for Validation of CNC Starrett Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Verify, Inc. Source Inspection experience? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
H Definition Inspect, Review, Verify and Witness - What are the definitions and differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
B How to inspect Mylars to verify dimensions, grid lines and grid points Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
D How do I verify the Cold Room temperature in Restaurant Kitchen Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
C Bridgeport Mill as a Gage - Verify gage dimensions using a Bridgeport Mill Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
A Test Method - DIN ISO 1133 for melt flow needed to verify supplier results Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F How would you Verify Repeatability and Reproducibility of Measurement Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S How to Calibrate or Verify Screw Pitch Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
J Work Instruction to Calibrate or Verify a Combination Square General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
Howard Lee Hygrometer Calibration - Best way to verify accuracy of a 'reference' Hygrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C How to verify the SAL (sterilie acceptable level) is 10-6 for ETO Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Could someone verify the levels of quality management system standards Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
K Prohibited metal verification - I am not sure of a PHYSICAL way to verify this Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
P CMM Programming verification - How would you verify that a CMM program is correct? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Douglas E. Purdy To Verify Concentricity of Flats to a Centerline General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Adriane Need Help to Verify an Infrared Cure Oven General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T How to verify SOP training effectivness - Section 6.2.2 in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7