Very Long Lead Times for Components (Electrical)

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
We are pricing out a new redesign of a circuit and the pricing seems ok but some lead times are 12 Months out! Anyone else seeing this?

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, this is a global problem. We are getting quoted 6-12mo lead times on computer parts that a year or two ago were 0-1mo lead times. In most cases, the 6-12mo is mostly a guess by the board mfr - there is such high uncertainty about supply and allocations of chips, that they are incorporating that uncertainty into their lead times.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
It goes well beyond electronic components...I'm seeing it from chemicals to HDPE bottles to 5gallon pails as well.
My local Home Depots are so far as to have bare shelves of weedkiller and spray paint...for lack of bottles and cans to put them in.

It's a mess out there, which makes it a mess in here as well. My understanding is that electronics supply chain is the core of most of it.

rstocum

Involved In Discussions
My employer makes fabricated sheet metal parts and assemblies. We used to quote 2-4 weeks lead time. It's been 8-12 weeks for some time now. Some materials/gages are difficult to get, cost more, and have longer lead times from the mill or distributor. Components for machine maintenance/repair are at least as long a lead time. We keep hearing that it will get worse, not better. It's across the board, all industries, economy and world-wide.

AllTheThings

Involved In Discussions
We are pricing out a new redesign of a circuit and the pricing seems ok but some lead times are 12 Months out! Anyone else seeing this?

These days, that isn't too bad...Some items are Indefinite (i.e. you better be Apple, HP, or able to flow down DPAS, etc. to have a hope). Poking around Digikey can be scary.

I feel like it is all being compounded as supply chain management has moved away from JIT, and everyone is now trying to hold (some) inventory of critical parts/components. So not only are people trying to ramp back up, but they are trying to 'fatten up' the supply chain to hedge against further disruptions.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Resin (or more exactly the raw materials that go into it, as well as adhesives), electronics, corrugated, and very likely there are others I have not thought to mention. Trucking and ports of entry are also affected. I am fielding multiple requests to substitute parts or materials. And there's no end in sight. :(

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Many manufacturers and customers can't get the parts they need from authorized distributors now so they are going to the "grey market" brokers for stuff (with customer approval) and the brokers are like pigs in slop right now. Prices sometimes go up daily so quotes aren't guaranteed for longer than a day. I've even seen suppliers say if you buy higher quantities the price goes up because you're limiting their ability to have some parts to sell for a higher price later on. It is crazier than I have ever experienced.

Top Bottom