Veterinary Devices - CE Marking Categories

M

MDDRegAffairs

Dear all,

I am looking to affix a CE mark to a piezo electric electromechanical actuating device (non-medical) of which the indications for use will be in veterinary services. To the best of my understanding, the applicable CE marks are:

1. 2001/95/EC : General product safety

2. 2006/42/EC : Machinery

3. 2004/108/EC : EMC

4. 85/374 / EEC : Liability for defective products

My questions are:

1. Are these the appropriate applicable directives, and if not, what should be added/removed?

2. How do I identify the appropriate conformity assessment?

3. How can I determine if a notified body is needed; would a notified body involved with medical products of a similar use be appropriate?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Tom

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
Re: Veterinary Devices - CE Marking

I'm not sure about your first question, but for your second question, the conformity assessments are in the regulations/directives themselves. The article numbers across the different directives don't correspond (not all Article 17s talk about CE marking, for example) so the information may be in a different place than where it would be in the MDD. But if you go through the Directives, the conformity assessments and when and for which products they apply will be there.

For your third question, whether or not a notified body is needed is also in the regulation/directive. You would use a notified body that's notified to those specific directives. You can figure out which notified bodies are notified to the EMC and Machinery directives on NANDO (http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newapproach/nando/index.cfm?fuseaction=directive.main).

Here's a link to where you can figure out if a notified body is needed: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/poli...nals/manufacturers/notified-body/index_en.htm

Here's a link to an EU Commission guidance document on the EMC Directive: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/electrical/files/emc_guide__updated_20100208_v3_en.pdf

I hope that this helps. :D

M

MDDRegAffairs

Re: Veterinary Devices - CE Marking

Dear Sarah,

Thank you kindly for the detailed response, the information is very helpful.

Regards,

Tom

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Dear all,

I am looking to affix a CE mark to a piezo electric electromechanical actuating device (non-medical) of which the indications for use will be in veterinary services. To the best of my understanding, the applicable CE marks are:

1. 2001/95/EC : General product safety

2. 2006/42/EC : Machinery

3. 2004/108/EC : EMC

4. 85/374 / EEC : Liability for defective products

My questions are:

1. Are these the appropriate applicable directives, and if not, what should be added/removed?

2. How do I identify the appropriate conformity assessment?

3. How can I determine if a notified body is needed; would a notified body involved with medical products of a similar use be appropriate?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Tom
Hi Tom,

I believe a lot of answers are in the Blue Guide 2014. If you read the 1st chapter (pp. 6-14 inclusive - not too much) you will get a good handle of your situation. The rest is very informative as well.

Good luck,
Ronen.

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
Just to add to the above:

85/374 / EEC is not a CE marking Directive

GPSD does not apply to products within scope of Machinery Directive

Also look at RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU and see if your product is within scope.

A Notified Body cannot be used for Machinery unless your product is within Annex IV - and yours is not.

A Notified Body can be used for EMC, but is entirely optional
There a no Notified Bodies for RoHS.

Charlie

M

MDDRegAffairs

Ronen,

Thank you for directing my attention toward the Blue Guide, it is a very informative resource.

Tom

M

MDDRegAffairs

Charlie,

Thank you for your comments and insight, they are very helpful and much appreciated.

Tom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Veterinary Medical Devices - Glucose monitoring system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
somashekar Regulatory and Safety Standards for Veterinary Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
L How to sell Veterinary Devices to Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
GoSpeedRacer Veterinary anesthesia machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
O Panama - Veterinary Diagnostics Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
O Unique situation regarding a Veterinary Medical Device and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Veterinary Use device regulation - Serbia, EU and Switzerland Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Veterinary Medical Device Registration in the EU and Italy EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E INDONESIA: Regulatory Requirements for Veterinary x-ray equipment Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K Regulations for sending Veterinary Surgical Instruments to Qatar Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
S Veterinary Diagnostic Kits Regulations in South East Asia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
B IVD Veterinary Testing - European Market Regulations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
N Sterilisation of IV Bags used for Veterinary Blood Plasma Products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C FDA Approval Process for Device that can also be used for Veterinary Purpose 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
L Veterinary device is medical device or not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
M The Medical Devices (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Chemical Testing on Medical Devices - Solutions in a container closure system (bag) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Embossing ingestible devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Subcontracting a repair of Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
P Monolithic application and medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Medical Devices in oxygen rich environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Use of Loaners for MEE while devices are serviced 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
JoCam Warranty of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Obsolesce medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Clue to UK's new regulatory requirements - approval of all devices placed on the market? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
dgrainger Informational UK - Medicines and Medical Devices Bill 2019-21 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
S Call it refurbish or not? Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Registering Medical Devices in Australia and New Zealand - ANZTPA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F UDI - Unit of Use and Class I, single-use devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Requirements for "Claims Guide" for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
G Accelerated stability of medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A IEC 60601-1 Dielectric Strength test for battery operated devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C MDCG 2020-06 Clinical evidence legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Free Sales certificates for Medical Devices - List of countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational Parliament to vote on postponing new requirements for medical devices -17th April Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Old medical devices -> 7.3.7. Design and development validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1