Video Screencasts for Work Instructions

Capybara

Starting to get Involved
I write a lot of work instructions teaching how to use an ERP system for various transactions. My work instructions are stored as PDFs, which generally consist of a long series of static screenshots, each of which has call outs instructing the reader on how to fill out the various fields on the transaction record.

I wonder if there's a better way. I'm considering the use of screencasts as an alternative. For those unfamiliar with the term, a screencast is a video of activities on a computer monitor, with voiceover.

Here are my questions:

1. Have any of you done this in your organizations?

2. If so, what has been your experience?

3. If not, do you see any problems with my idea?

4. How would you handle ISO 9001 Section 4.2.3(c) as it relates to documenting changes?

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I would think this would work well if the following items are considered:

1. Sound:
-----a. Do all computers that will be using these instructions have the ability to play sound?
-----b. Will the person using the computer be able to hear the voice instructions (background noise etc)

2. Video: I personally have found videos to be both excellent and pathetic choices for instructions depending on the speed of the instructions. At times the video needs to go faster (get to the meat) and at times they need to go slower (don't skip steps). This is a very hard one to control as each person is different.

4. How would you handle ISO 9001 Section 4.2.3(c) as it relates to documenting changes?
If I were to do this, I would specify a revision within the video for example at the very beginning of the video in the introduction, I would say something like "this video explains the use of the purchasing module and is dated May 4th 2015". This documents the revision level by data within the video.

I am curious as to see how this works out. If you do follow through with this, please let us know how it works out.

I

isoalchemist

I think this is a generally a good idea. Michael M raised some good points. My one question is this this a one and done type of document use or will I need to pull it out every three months to refresh a screen or function I really use?

If it's the latter I may prefer knowing I need to flip to page X rather than sitting through a 3, 5 10 minute video to find the answer.

Capybara

Starting to get Involved
In my case they are used more for initial training than for ongoing reference. Once learned, the steps are performed frequently and repetitively.

Andrej

Involved In Discussions
Your idea is very good. The first time I have seen such a solution was in year 1981 when I was attending training for maintenance at one of largest computer manufacturer in Japan. They were using video tapes with maintenance procedures. If a picture is worth 1000 words, then video is worth much more since it can show exactly how procedure should be performed. Later I saw the same approach at some car manufacturers (they were using CD to store videos).
My experience is good and I can't se potential problems.
To control that kind of documentation use filename containing serial number of procedure and revision number (i.e. video_xxxx_rev_yy) and take care to remove all older revisions from the reach of the potential users.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
I have been using a program called Camtasia Studio 8. I have been very happy with the outcome. Although it has many other features I only use it to make narrated PowerPoint presentations. It is very easy to use and the output looks good. We only have used it for new hire orientation not work instructions. So I have not had to concern myself with ISO9001 doc control issues. But thinking about it, you can embed the file in a Word document. That way I can surround it with the normal formatting, including a change log. So I would control it just as if it was a text only doc. The user would only have one extra click to start the program after opening the file. You would have to make sure that the workstation the user is logged in on has the screencast program installed.

P.S. For the record, I have no connection to program's owners.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
Sidney Vianna Informational The role of the quality professional - an interesting video by CQI Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
pammesue Need a new video for employee training ISO 9001:2008 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
I Defending "No Essential Performance" for a Surgical Video Camera IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
J Need help/advice on video editing software etc..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
F Looking for some type of training on Lean Manufacturing video or web training Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
Marc Some sunday morning video - Pre-TV Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
I Funny Hypothesis Testing Video Imported Legacy Blogs 1
G Source of a Clear Fixture Block on a x-y Video Microscope - Rafaelco? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Seeking to learn English Video and Suggestions - I am Chinese Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
E MSA for criteria Automatic Video Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
AnaMariaVR2 Coping with Cancer - Video Story Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Stijloor Video clips in VIMEO do not run very well. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
G Medical Device Digital Video Component Interface for Video Captures IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
H Design Control Requirement - Initial Distributor of a Class I Video Laryngoscope US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Y MRI Compatibility - Electrical Device with a Video Display Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Z Can we establish system documents with VIDEO or HUMAN? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna ISO Video (mentions various standards) for Business and Government ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S Computer Screen Video Capture and Recording Software with Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
L Looking for training Video on FOD translated into Russian AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K Is Video Recording an Inspection allowed by Auditors? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
J Clearing a Nonconformance - Video Conferencing Recordings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Means Of Protection of the Video OUT of an Internally powered device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Establishing simple procedure and work instruction using chart or photo or video Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
ScottK Video Measurement System - i.e. OGP Smartscope Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
P What Video Games do you play? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 29
Chennaiite Automobile Differential Mechanism Explanation Video - Amazing Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
H Forklift Safety - Driver loses control in warehouse (Video) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Methods for Verification/Calibration of Video (Optical) Extensometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Is there a correlation between Teen Violence & Video Games? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 28
B MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) on a Video Microscope Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Bilijaf ISO 9000 video clip- download ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Steve Prevette Red Bead Video on YouTube Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 6
bobdoering Statistical Process Control for Precision Machining Video Training Course Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Total Quality Managememt Video for sharing Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
M S-T 9600 Video Inspection System accuracy General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Digital video camera system portable for production line and other monitoring? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Free ISO 9001:2008 Video Online ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q ISO launches video clip: "The ISO 9000 family ? Global management standards" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Video Example of Quick Setup Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
Marc Urinal video game launched Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
A 787 Aircraft Photos and Video Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
L Boeing Video "Supplier Performance Measurement in BEST" - Supplier Expectations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
D July ME TV: Measurement & Gaging Video Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Claes Gefvenberg The ISO 14001 video clip Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 13
Sidney Vianna After the International Standard ? now comes the ISO 14001 video clip! ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
Sidney Vianna IAOB using video streaming for communicating with CB's ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Sidney Vianna Converting PowerPoint presentations into video - software recommendations? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12