View Posts Since Last Visit 'Expires'

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Navigational Aide Needed

Hi Marc...What I thought would be real simple...isn't, and I need your help. Last week I was only able to 'pop' in and not able to read all new messages, yet the unread messages changed to read. So, I hoped that by going to search, I could select time period (1 week ago to now) and see ALL posts during that period. But received this error message:
System Software Message:
Please specify some words or valid user names to search on. There were no matches for those that you specified.

When I tried again with wildcards (hoping that all messages contained an 'a' I received a fatal error because of size limits.

Is there a simpler way to do this that I'm missing without going into all open forums and reading through all the threads? I'm at a loss.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'll see if I can find a work around. As it is, I think it's set to 15 or 20 minutes for the lightbulb 'timeout' (no activity so the user must have left). The 'View Posts since Last Visit' link looks at your last visit time and date and 'now' and does it's computation. I did find it is part of the search.php file, but I'll have to check with the software folks and see what they advise.

I'll get back to you on this one. You can view progress in the following thread: http://www.vBulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23195

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I don't know if this will help or not, but for now it's the best I can do. If you are logged in (I hope everyone by now knows how to set things up in their user options so you're logged in automagically by using cookies....
<center>
User-CP-a1.gif
</center>
I HATE to have to log in each time I visit the site).

Anyway, you should now see the following near the top of the main entry page.

<center>
search-change.gif
</center>

I added a 'function' I didn't know existed. It will give you a listing of all new posts within the last 24 hours. Weekends will screw it up for anyone who - well, let's say logs in every 3 days or something. They will have to depend upon the View New Posts Since Your Last Visit to see everything.

Anyway, this new 'function' will give you a listing part of which looks like this:
<center>
view-z.gif
</center>
Look at the envelopes. The legend for them is at the bottom of the forum pages (unfortunately not at the bottom of the search listing). From these you can tell whether there are new posts in any individual thread or not - since your last visit (I think that's what it's based upon).

One thing I have not seen explained anywhere is - If you see a Dot in the center of an envelope, you have a post in that thread. If there is no Dot you have not personally posted in that thread (yet?).

I am working on getting the software company to add something along the lines of "...Show me all posts which I have not read which were posted in the last X days..." I haven't seen a 'hack' yet for that, either. I should think it's doable. I personally would love it. This has been an issue since I had the WWWBoard back in 1996-7. It was an issue in UltimateBB as well.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
One last comment on this topic... (Ah, hemmmm....)

I'm a moderator of most of the forums. In part because some no one else wanted (any takers out there???) and some because I want to follow. And, of course, because I'm an expert in so many fields ;) ...... But the point is as a moderator I get an e-mail every time someone posts or starts a new thread giving a link to the thread and the contents of the post.

There is a function here which allows you to 'subscribe' to forums just like you can in a thread. When you subscribe to a forum whenever someone posts you (unfortunately) do not get an e-mail just like a moderator does. In fact, I know this can get kinda complex, but if you go to your User CP it can do a lot. One of the things is a listing of forums you subscribe to which you can click and go to.
<center>
subscribe-forum.gif
</center>
<center>
user-cp-sub.gif
</center>

I'm not so sure it's a big feature except from th aspect of being able to narrow down the forums you're interested in to a 'short list' in your 'UserCP' - that list of all the forums at the starting ('main') pge is a long one.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I don't know how much this will help, but I also changed the 'link' (blue), 'hover over link' (red) and 'visited links' (green) colours. See if that helps.

Please vote on This Poll after you run around the board a bit and see what you think. I'm OK with it but throws the colour scheme to he** in a few places.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Note that if you click on the View Posts from the Last 24 Hours link, you will get a listing of all threads which have new posts. Each thread listed has at least 1, but many have more than 1, new post within it.
<center>
search-change.gif
</center>
And when it says 24 Hours - it means just that - 24 hours from when you logged on is the cutoff.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
You're the BEST Marc!

Marc, Thanks so much for all your efforts! I went home midmorning Tuesday and am just getting back to work.
Take care, Eileen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ronen E Interesting Discussion Interesting view of EU Authorised Representative under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
A How to view supplier APQP timeline and do risk management APQP and PPAP 4
T Directors View - Standards like ISO 9001 are "Just a TICK in the BOX" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Chennaiite Chaos --> Bird's eye view, simplify & visualize Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S Can I view listed drug products on FDA website similar to listed medical devices? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
N Sponsor asked to view our SOPs remotely using File Sharing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Auxiliary View Fold Line convention in ASME standard? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Jim Wynne A 1966 View of Home Computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Ajit Basrur How Engineers view things differently :) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
Marc Night-Time View of Alexandria, Cairo and the Nile Valley from the NASA Space Station Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S AS9102 for Assembly with Exploded View AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
E Orthographic Projection - Which view is correct? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
C Customer Right to View Certification Body Audit Reports? General Auditing Discussions 11
B What do you think about ISO 9001:2008? - Interested in various points of view. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
8 Simulated Factory - Assistance in simulation of a factory with a view to improving it Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Sidney Vianna And yet another critical view of ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Does EN 60601-1 include 60601-1-2 from a contract point of view IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
kisxena FDA's view on Wiki's for users to find equipment operation procedures 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
Q The best way to view standards for free without violating copyright Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
G Does anyone have a Contract Review Procedure I can view? Contract Review Process 5
T Johnson Thread View System - Measures many characteristics on a thread plug gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
BradM Running two monitors on one computer - Dual View After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
Stijloor 360 Degree View of the Airbus A380 Flight Deck Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
Jim Wynne Have you seen Google Maps Street View? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
D Can an external ISO Auditor view FDA inspection results General Auditing Discussions 9
T Does anyone know where I can view Bac5300 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
ScottK Have you played with Google Maps Street View Yet? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
S ISO13485 from a risk analysis point of view using 14971 as a guide ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
Jim Wynne Paradigm Shift in QA? Another View Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 23
J ISO 10014:2006 - Realizing financial and economic benefits - What is your view? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
W General Motors' Rick Wagoner's View of the automotive industry World News 25
R Auditors Point of View: What were your worst audits and bad experiences? General Auditing Discussions 7
C CAD Viewers You Have Used - Need something to view CATIA v 4.2 and Unigraphics NX2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Wes Bucey ASQ Six Sigma Body of Knowledge - your view? Six Sigma 24
K Where I can obtain/view a copy of ISO 14031? Environmental Performance Evaluation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
I QS9000 3rd edition - Is there a site where I can view/print the Third edition QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D I Would like to view someones Laboratory Scope General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marc Charlie's View - Contract Auditing and Other Stuff Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
D Rear View Mirror Management - MBO and MBR (Management by Results) Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 22
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc Search for Posts - By specific User Name(s) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Forums - "Watching" One or More Forums for New Threads and New Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc New Posts and New Threads - Monitoring (aka "Watching") Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc Latest Posts in Right Sidebar on the Forum Listing Home Page Forum News and General Information 6
J Downloading and/or Viewing Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Plagiarism in Elsmar Cove Forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0