Virtual Manufacturer and CE Marking

J

jesupesu

Hi,

Does an OEM need a CE mark on their product in order for a virtual manufacturer to gain one?

For clarity - the OEM has a FDA 510k on it, but the OEM has no intentions of selling in Europe themselves. However, the virtual manufacturer wishes to do so. Is it necessary for the OEM to gain a CE mark before the virtual manufacturer can? This is a Class I Non-Sterile product.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hello Jesupesu,

From the regulatory perspective, the OEM is essentially selling into Europe themselves if they proceed with sending products to the EU, even under the legal manufacturer model. While the legal manufacturer has ultimate responsibility for the products they put on the EC markets, one responsibility is making sure the OEM is in-line and produces a conforming product. For the OEM, this responsibility of the legal manufacturer primarily manifests in the compilation of the EU Technical File and everything required for that to be accepted by the notified body (e.g. TUV SUD).

Hope this helps and I'm sure some of the experts here can provide better information.

J

jesupesu

Hello Jesupesu,

From the regulatory perspective, the OEM is essentially selling into Europe themselves if they proceed with sending products to the EU, even under the legal manufacturer model. While the legal manufacturer has ultimate responsibility for the products they put on the EC markets, one responsibility is making sure the OEM is in-line and produces a conforming product. For the OEM, this responsibility of the legal manufacturer primarily manifests in the compilation of the EU Technical File and everything required for that to be accepted by the notified body (e.g. TUV SUD).

Hope this helps and I'm sure some of the experts here can provide better information.
I guess that's the part that's ambiguous to me still. It seems to me as long as the virtual manufacturer is ensuring that the product meets the EU standards and that the OEM is in line and produces a conforming product, then the OEM does not need a CE mark. Unless you are saying that the OEM is essentially selling into Europe themselves and therefore needs a CE mark.

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Hi Jesupesu,

I had created an article on that as I've seen this question a lot of time. The Model Virtual Manufacturer (OBL, PLM) / OEM is under question now with the MDR. But with the MDD in Europe, the OEM should have a CE Certificate.
The reason is the fact that the OEM is currently not providing all the information to the virtual manufacturer. So the virtual manufacturer is showing to its notified body that the OEM is clear with the EU regulation.
If you want more detail you can read my notes here.

Let me know if this answers your question. What is important for you is the fact that by May 26th 2020, all this model can be forbidden. Some solutions to keep it alive are under investigation.

J

jesupesu

Hi Jesupesu,

I had created an article on that as I've seen this question a lot of time. The Model Virtual Manufacturer (OBL, PLM) / OEM is under question now with the MDR. But with the MDD in Europe, the OEM should have a CE Certificate.
The reason is the fact that the OEM is currently not providing all the information to the virtual manufacturer. So the virtual manufacturer is showing to its notified body that the OEM is clear with the EU regulation.
If you want more detail you can read my notes here.

Let me know if this answers your question. What is important for you is the fact that by May 26th 2020, all this model can be forbidden. Some solutions to keep it alive are under investigation.
Thank you for the article! It was very helpful. Additionally, in regards to the MDD, it seems like there is no issue as long as the OEM is willing to share their entire technical file to the OBL.

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Thank you for the article! It was very helpful. Additionally, in regards to the MDD, it seems like there is no issue as long as the OEM is willing to share their entire technical file to the OBL.
Yes you are right. But it's also the case with MDR.
The situation with MDD is that the OEM is usually sending its CE Certificate to the OBL to prove that they are compliant with the Medical Device Directive.
Now the only way in future is that the OEM is disclosing the full technical file to the OBL to be able to continue to sell its products.

Thanks for this interesting question.

DMLqms

Starting to get Involved
Hello All - something that I think is important and relates to this - I am now in the situation that as a 'virtual manufacturer' some of the people we considered OEMs/ODMs are actually virtual manufacturers themselves - they do not physically manufacture the devices. A small paragraph (aren't they all!) in the MHRA guidance for Virtual manufacturers explicitly forbids a virtual manufacturer dealing with another virtual manufacturer I believe? Are we in effect now forced to second-source?

DMLqms

Starting to get Involved
Hello all - coming back on this - my notified body has confirmed my opinion that whilst being assessed as a virtual manufacturer, any OEM/ODM EC certificates are essentially irrelevant as it is me who is 'the manufacturer' and has to show that the devices are suitable for the market. The assumption is that this would be made much harder using companies without any certification but let me tell you that I am aware of a number of OEMs that supposedly have full EC certification but will not (cannot?) provide any information.

Hello all - coming back on this - my notified body has confirmed my opinion that whilst being assessed as a virtual manufacturer, any OEM/ODM EC certificates are essentially irrelevant as it is me who is 'the manufacturer' and has to show that the devices are suitable for the market. The assumption is that this would be made much harder using companies without any certification but let me tell you that I am aware of a number of OEMs that supposedly have full EC certification but will not (cannot?) provide any information.
Hi, I have the exact same query. Is it now forbiden for a virtual manufacturer to deal with another virtual manufacturer? Could you please let me know which part Of MDR or MHRA guidance refers to it? I would be very grateful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Best european location to set up for a virtual medical device manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S ISO 13485 scope of certification - We are a virtual manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Virtual Manufacturer vs Reseller (Medical Devices) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
TheMightyWife Virtual Manufacturer v Medical Device File (NB audit) EU Medical Device Regulations 12
B Virtual Manufacturer / OBL ISO Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Audit Mandays for OBL/Virtual Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
W Virtual Manufacturer and Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
I MHRA - Virtual Manufacturer Document Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Qualification of pest control service in a "virtual manufacturer" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q ISO 13485 Design Control Procedure for Virtual Manufacturer wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
L IATF external audit virtual (remote) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
GStough WCQI Virtual Conference May 6, 2020 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Certifying a "virtual" company with zero employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Informational MHRA – Virtual manufacturing of medical devices – Updated guidance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
dgrainger MHRA guidance on Virtual manufacturing - version 2 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News CDRH Research Programs – VICTRE: Virtual Imaging Clinical Trials for Regulatory Evaluation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Own brand labelling/virtual manufacture of IVD's EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Virtual manufacturers/OEM - CE/ISO requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Quality Manual for a Virtual Company (Medical Device) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
P How to add Voip features (ring group, virtual receptionist) into Cisco SIP PBX in C#? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
J FDA Compliant Quality System for Virtual Manufacturing (IVD Medical Device)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W ISO 13485 - The use of virtual offices (everything is sub-contracted) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
MarilynJ6354 American Global Standards Virtual Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A American Global Standards Virtual Cert Program for ISO 9001 Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
M Environmental Protection Virtual Event - 2010 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 0
Stijloor Virtual Reality Tour of the Basilica of Saint John Lateran Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
K Virtual DMIS vs. PC-DMIS - Help needed Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Wes Bucey SAE Virtual Job Fair - May 19, 2010 Career and Occupation Discussions 2
kisxena Transferring a validated software platform to a virtual server Software Quality Assurance 8
V ISO 9001 Virtual Audits - Ways to audit remote locations such as design centers General Auditing Discussions 6
T CMM Reverse Engineering Scannning 3-D - IMS Impact with 4.8 version Virtual DMIS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
RoxaneB Are You Interested in Coming for a Virtual Walk? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 130
I Virtual Manufacturing and ISO 13485 - Cardiovascular products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Govind Virtual Audit by Internet or Electronic Communication - Do you have any success? General Auditing Discussions 11
Marc Virtual Office and Multi-Site Registration: Including the FedEx Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M FDA Medical device reporting (Manufacturer in US; contract manufacturer OuS) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Country of Manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Foreign manufacturer registered place of business in EU for CE certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G SRN, Basic UDI, Legal Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
I Is SRN required for a contract manufacturer (CE-Marking product)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Contract Manufacturer as Design Owner ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O PPAP'ed part manufacturer has discontinued production Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 7
MedicalDevicesCanada How to find a medical device contract manufacturer, MDSAP certified? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Is there a way to obtain redacted copies of IFU from a different manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Manufacturer - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1