Vision Inspection System Validation

M

makingchanges

I am in process of implementing an Oasis Vision Inspection system for inspection of small threaded fasteners. We had previously decided to move forward with validation of each program by alternative inspection methods (micrometer, caliper, etc) as each program is created individually. If the program is then copied and only one dimension changed then that one dimension within the program would be validated. The programs are set by creating the appropriate feature box and then identified tolerances. An actual measurement is reported with pass of fail based off the tolerance. As we are progressing through the creation of programs the question has arisen as to whether each program requires the validation or whether top level features can be validates such as diameters, lengths etc. How are others managing this requirement? We currently do not have any customers which have tight software controls however we looking to more strongly enter that market and I do not want to back track on the programs already created.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why wouldn't you validate each feature inspected in the program?
(an ounce of validation is worth a ton of corrective action...)

I would tend towards at least validating the most difficult to inspect features...

M

makingchanges

My only hesitation with that is that validating for that feature doesn't mean that the feature is created correctly in each subsequent program, hence the thought of individual program validation. However when you deal with thousands of part numbers this gets very reduntant and I can see the benefit of feature validation.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy makingchanges,

Welcome to the Cove!

I don't use the Oasis, I use a MicroVu Vertex...but the concept of using a programmed set of tasks to generate a measured output is exactly the same (it is just how the tool measures that is different).

My thought process runs this way:

Each program you write is a piece of software which generates outputs (data) that will be used for accept/reject decisions and/or fitness for use decisions.

Therefore the software must be validated, and the measurement accuracy must be established and compared to Spec.

Therefore thread A: Each program you write is it's own piece of software, therefore every program must be validated separately for every feature it measures.
(when working in thousands of programs...you might consider taking a "copy and paste" shortcut...but don't lose sight that it IS a shortcut, and leaves you with a "should be OK" rather than an "OK".

Therefore thread B: The data outputs need to be accurate, so a "known" is put into the mix when doing GRR so that we are not only measuring Reproducability and Repeatability...but also a reality check on accuracy.
Repeatably and Reproducably wrong doesn't get the job done.

M

makingchanges

Many of the programs are based from part series so have base part number and sizes with just a length change. The though process was to create and validate the entire base program for that nominal size then copy and paste and only validate the length change for subsequent programs therefore validating the only physical change of the program. Again we are still talking 148 different lengths for one base program but once the validation is complete it is good to go. Again I am just trying to prove out my thought process as there is some challenge to it as "there must be an easier way" and I am sure there is but I do not want to jeopardize the integrity of the programs themselves and their acceptance of product...hence me asking what others are doing!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Understood.

I validate all parts of each program, cut&paste or not.

In your position, I might do the cut&paste...put the equipment in use based on the reasonable belief that all is good, and then wrap up the number crunching (validation) afterwards.

So far, I have not assumed any part of the validation based on similar programs...though I have caught up the paperwork formality after the fact.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Process Validation on Vision Inspection System Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
I Part Variation for Gage R&R of Vision Inspection system Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Vision System - Camera vs. Sensor to perform 100% EOL Inspection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
B Automated Vision Inspection System MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O GRR (Gage R&R) Method for Camera Vision Inspection System Hardware and Software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Bar Lights vs LED-606 in vision inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R How to Validate Vision Inspection Systems Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Customer Complaint Corrective Action Response - 100% Vision Inspection Customer Complaints 9
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B CQI-15 Weld Inspector vision reviewed annually Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Testing (Evaluation of) and Verification of Employee Color Vision Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
J Manual Vision CMM Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Medical Device News FDA News - 26-09-18 - FDA Reveals Vision for the Transition to ISO 13485 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Camera Vision System Measurement System Analysis (MSA) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Proud Liberal Setting up Prolink's QC-Gage to a Keyence IM-6225 Vision System Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Vision Measurement System - Software Program Qualification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
P Looking for recommendations for an automated vision measuring system Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T MSA on Camera Vision System and other Process Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R AC 7120 Vision and Color Blindness Testing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Camera Vision Measurement System Gage R and R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
K Vision System Camera Adjustment - Change Verification? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M CPK and MSA for Vision System - Example PSW Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Which Manual Vision System to Buy Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
2 How to GR&R a Vision System to measure features in silicone ie. jello Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Information on Starrett Galileo Vision Measurment System model AV300 requested Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
3 Vision System Optical Calibration Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Automated Vision Systems - Cost, Value and Payback of Implementation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I Gage R&R on a Programmed Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Sidney Vianna Vision 2050 - Utopia? Can we change so many paradigms in 40 years? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S GR&R (Gage R&R) for an Optical Comparator or Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Verify Accuracy for Validation of CNC Starrett Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Starrett AV612 (combo vision and touch probe) Galileo Instrument Software Validation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Multiple Fixture Automated Vision System GR&R (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Vision system - how critical is part set up? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Choosing a Vision System - Recommendations for a User Friendlier System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S Can we comingle Gauging Vision System and 3 Point Micrometers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Z How to Establish Quality Policy Based on Vision of Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Advice on Handling a Camera Vision System Calibration Master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Sidney Vianna Is the ISO TC176 fulfilling its Vision & Mission? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
J Vision System Recommendations - Sheet metal fabrication industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Vision System which verifies the correct part is present - Calibration / Verification Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
W What is difference between the company policy & company vision or strategy Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Sidney Vianna ISO TC's 176 & 207 & other Stakeholders Joint Vision ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Vision Mission, Quality Policy, Quality Objective, Divisional Objective Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
D MSA for Vision Sorting Equipment (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4