Visual Manufacturing MRP system software - Who else uses their MRP software?

T

Tominsky

Hi,

Does anyone out there use Visual Manufacturing for there MRP system ? My main problem is with how we input part codes. We include the revision as part of the part code. To me , that does not make much sense. I was told that the field that is available for drawing name and revision does not link to anything. So why have it ? Thanks, tom....

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
I'm not familiar with the term MRP [but believe it's a materials mgmt system] so help me out if I'm off a bit here...

We do use visual aids in our manufacturing. They include anything from flow charts, text, info tables and pictures for quick reference of detailed information at point of use - we call them SOPs. The SOP has a block for identifying the parent document (can be Corp Spec, Plant Work Instruction, or None) by linking the documents, it's easier to identify what should be reveiwed if a process changes.

As far as parts used in departments, we use what identifcation means the most to the associated department (ie. component parts as well as parent items), most often this information is in table format.

We too identify (in some areas) part by rev, this is done for traceability. When reviewing trends if you find a trouble spot - this should be one question that arises - "Has this part changed? and If so, is this source of our problem?"

The drawing information is there for similar reasons. Sometimes errors occur when there are differences between part BOMs, Specs, and DWGs. So it is important in some cases to track those as well.

I am not sure what you mean when you say the fields aren't linked to anything. This again goes back to the purpose/traceability of the part. The drawing should show the latest part number revision.

We have our systems inter-linked so any MDRs(Material Discrepancy Report) can be used to generate supplier (internal or external) RCAs (Request for Corrective Action), which the current part no & rev as well as the associated dwg number & rev are required information to be sure everyone is on the same 'page' when they investigate the issue.

Hope this helps, Eileen

Hi there!
I think your previous reply misunderstood what you were asking for. We use the software "Visual Manufacturing" to track all of our business.
So are you talking about entering in the specs into Visual for planning- operation types? Or are you talking about entering in the information about the parts when you recieve the job in? I'm not quite clear what you are asking for.

Top Bottom