Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Visually impacting graphics for Nonconformance status metrics for Management Report

Hello all,

Is anyone able to share their graphs/KPI’s which they use to show the status of NCR’s?

I’m looking for inspiration in terms of a report to send to senior management (who have zero attention span!) who can glance at it and see who has what, what is overdue and so on.

Any ideas would be appreciate.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
The only bad nonconformity is the one we do not know about!

...or are you asking for examples of progress reporting in removing the root causes of nonconformity from the system?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well. I’ve used a simple ‘aging’ chart. The x axis is the number of days since the corrective action was issued and the y axis is the number of corrective actions that are that old. It’s a simple frequency diagram / bar chart. You could use a similar chart but with teh x axis as the ‘steps’ in the corrective action process. You could combine the two and use a color coded stacked bar chart with the x-axis being the age don the colored bar segments being the different steps in the process...

HOWEVER, if your management team is not paying attention now, a better visualization probably won’t help. The goal of any corrective action system is to get to the causal mechanism so that you have confidence in the solution’s Effectiveness at preventing recurrence. I recommend that you try this approach on your problem of inattention to your corrective actions. In my experience there are 2 systemic causes: teh corrective actions are for trivial things that have little effect on product or service quality. OR the company is simply not interested in product/service quality. Of course there may be other causes so remember that my experience will not necessarily be your experience. They are just examples pointing out that a better visualization wouldnt’ fix either of the two causes I mentioned...

Thanks, this is a useful approach and will have a look into putting something together.

Re: management. The current approach is just a summary of words. I think people tend to switch off to lots of words.

Jean_B

Involved In Discussions
Table with data. One or two of the first few columns should contain the KPI's by which senior management prioritizes attention (e.g. as Bev said age).
Visualize these for easy perusal through e.g. sparkcharts (history) or conditional formatting:
If the KPI can be made relative then use in-cell bars (longest bar would/should draw their attention).
If it's state-based or you have people with a truly minimal interest in distinctions colorbased traffic lights can be applied with criteria noted in a tiny legend (because they usually don't care, but CYA).
Transpose if landscape orientation makes more sense.

Prioritization often encountered is count per something (e.g. area, department, process, product(-type/range), responsible manager/executive), trend over time (needs an easy indication such as a slope indicator or gradation of change (horizon chart) for something that can be very complex, pre-consult on such a thing with the receiver!), relative occurrence within a defined range (e.g. time, total/subtotal; often easily ).

Then also everything that Bev said, with double importance on finding out what it is they want to see, and what they are able to comprehend. As with anything you present your perception is not the one that matters, it is that of the (un)intended audience. Manage their expectations as sometimes the information they want can not be simplified to the extent of their current ability to comprehend, and they might need training or attenuation/familiarization through repeated exposure and walkthroughs. The latter can pay off if you know it will be a stable report format. Don't go complicated for one-off deep-dives or exploratory matters unless interest is there.

Top Bottom