Vote - Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard?

Should ISO 9004 become a requirements standard?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
ISO 9004 makes recommendations for the development of management systems beyond the requirements of ISO 9001.

Would turning these recommendations into requirements be useful for organizations and their suppliers working together to design and deliver a higher standard of services and products?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
As noted, ISO 9004 is a useful "guide" (recommendations) , but contains (by design) no requirements for certification to ISO 9001. This question (poll) appears, to me, illogical.

ISO 9001 specifies what is expected of an ISO 9001 certified company in regards to control of external providers. That is, by design, what is intended in order to manage externally provided products and services.

Likewise, ISO 9001 compliance and/or certification by the supply chain, would achieve what I infer as the intent of this question. An additional/"redundant" QMS standard seems, well....additional and redundant.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
John,

I know.

ISO 9001 is widely criticized for being ineffective so why not see if ISO 9004 would be more effective?

Broadly speaking the shoulds in 9004 would become shalls to compete with 9001.

But please vote.

Thanks,

John

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Thanks @John Broomfield -
Yep....I did indeed vote.

(May I inquire as to who/where 9001 is being "...widely criticized..." and what specifically it is being criticized for? Yes, obviously 9001 and all requirements standards are widely criticized, but I am curious about within this specific context you are speaking of. Thank you!)

Hope you're well

"this" John

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Would turning these recommendations into requirements be useful for organizations and their suppliers working together to design and deliver a higher standard of services and products?
Your post title says "Should ISO 9004 specify requirements for suppliers?"; whereas your poll question is more generically "ISO 9004 should become a requirements standard". So, I'm not quite sure exactly what role you want 9004 to play.

Along the lines of orgs and suppliers working together, I think it would be preferable to instead have a specific supply chain risk management standard. Although one can argue that such risk mgmt falls within the scope of 9001, it seems to me that a more topic-specific standard is possible. just as business continuity risk mgmt can be said to fall within 9001 yet ISO also has a specific BC standard.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Along the lines of orgs and suppliers working together, I think it would be preferable to instead have a specific supply chain risk management standard. Although one can argue that such risk mgmt falls within the scope of 9001, it seems to me that a more topic-specific standard is possible. just as business continuity risk mgmt can be said to fall within 9001 yet ISO also has a specific BC standard.
Tagin,

That’s another idea to take up with your national standards maker.

I’m trying simply to see what support we have for ISO 9004 working as a requirements standard to compete against ISO 9001 or to give organizations (suppliers) and opportunity to upgrade their certification.

Although, I didn’t really want to turn this poll into yet another discussion about certification.

Thank you for your vote,

John

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I’m trying simply to see what support we have for ISO 9004 working as a requirements standard to compete against ISO 9001 or to give organizations (suppliers) and opportunity to upgrade their certification.
I think the title of your thread is causing some confusion - I know I thought it was something other than what you stated in the quoted post. Maybe if it was "Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard?"... or "Should some of the guidance in ISO9004 become ISO9001 requirements?"...

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In the USA, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award was perceived as the pinnacle of quality. Just like ISO 9001, enough window dressing gets you the badge/medal/award....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dgrainger Informational Parliament to vote on postponing new requirements for medical devices -17th April Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
John Broomfield Informational Upcoming vote on the kilogram - November 2018 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M MDCG: industry is not part of and does not vote EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Please vote: term for an inspection plan for a family of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Wes Bucey ASQ (American Society for Quality) By-Laws Changes - How did you vote? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
C IEC60601-1 3rd edition +ve vote - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
T New Standard - Qs 4?? TS16949 will not pass the vote for a standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S FDIS 14001 & 14004 has been issued by the ISO/CS on August 12, 2004 for a vote ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
Marc May 2004 Articles Poll (Vote) Thread Registered Visitor Articles Archive 12
Marc Poll Types: Blind vs. Open - Article Vote/Poll Thread Registered Visitor Articles Archive 7
S DIS ISO 14001 Vote and TC207 SC1 Meeting 1-3 March 2004 (Paris) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 23
D Pareto vote - Could someone explain the pareto vote process? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
B The 25-04-2000 Vote - Did the vote about DIS ISO 9001:2000 obtained 75% of yes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Marc Will the US Vote No? US TAG contingent on the fence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
J Should Loading and Unloading be Included in Cycle Times? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
E Manufacturers should develop a testing device for covid19 Service Industry Specific Topics 0
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A We are ISO 13485:2016 should we be audited to ISO 14971 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001:2024 - What should be changed in the next Edition of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 103