Want to Buy a Smart ForTwo? Too Bad, They're Sold Out

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Want to Buy a Smart ForTwo? Too Bad, They're Sold Out

smart_fortwo.jpg

From Wired News
Wired news said:
America's 60-year resistance to city cars may finally be coming to an end. One month before the Smart ForTwo goes on sale in the U.S., more than 30,000 people have plopped down deposits for the $11,590 car. It has virtually sold out--even before the first owner takes the keys.

Our own reviews of the vehicle have been favorably mixed. As a solution for American transportation, it works best in high-density cities such as San Francisco, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Portland, and the like. But does it really serve Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, and other urban sprawls that are held together by highway interstates and copious parking? Time will tell.

Certainly, the 1.0-liter engine that gets up to 45 mpg has broad appeal in these days of $3 gas. And with the housing slump and deteriorating economy, a $40,000 fat-lap pickup truck looks excessive, even silly, to growing numbers of Americans. Meanwhile, Smart is partnering with the city of London to put an all-electric version of the car on its streets and is looking to do the same with a city in France and the United States. The question for the U.S. is whether the car has staying power. My money says yes.

Source: AutoWeek

B

Benjamin28

I've seen one of these on the highway. I certainly wouldn't have any hesitation buying something like this for a commute to work car. The thing is, I think I'd rather go out and buy a Honda Civic or Civic Hybrid still seat four, get comparable gas mileage, and have a nice resale value...of course the initial price is double the cost of this vehicle...but worth it for the comfort and still much much more affordable than a pickup truck or suv.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Then again, there are motorcycles that cost more than this car.

Resale value at this point is an unknown.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Then again, many printer mfg. give away printers, so they can make their money on ink-jet refills.:tg:

If most of the part cross-over to other brands, it might be worth it.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
My son's friend had such a unit. Apparently, it's nice to drive and comes with a supercharger. It cost above USD25,000.00 here. Supply is limited and therefore resale value is good. You'll need to pay through the nose for repairs and parts.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
The thing is, I think I'd rather go out and buy a Honda Civic or Civic Hybrid still seat four, get comparable gas mileage, and have a nice resale value...of course the initial price is double the cost of this vehicle...but worth it for the comfort and still much much more affordable than a pickup truck or suv.

FWIW - I traded "down" so to speak when prices went thru the roof. I was driving a 2006 Toyota Sienna - and I hated it. Too big for my taste. My hubby was looking at the Honda Fit as a replacement for his Grand Caravan (need room to carry tool, but get good mileage). I saw the new Honda Civic coupe - and bought one about 3 weeks later. Price was not double of the ForTwo. We went from dual minivans to dual Honda household.:biglaugh:

CHRSCLLNGS

Involved In Discussions
This is the review of the car in the UK, Price Range: £6,900 - £15,470
(£6900 for the smart fortwo pure 61bhp, £15470 for the smart fortwo BRABUS cabrio 98bhp)

Performance
Comes with a choice of three, one-litre, three-cylinder engines with either 61, 70 or 83bhp. The smaller unit can feel underpowered while the larger two both deliver livelier performance in town. However, we'd choose the turbo 83bhp for its extra oomph on the motorway. Smart has allegedly sorted the jerky six-speed auto that plagued the original car. We say 'allegedly' because, although it might be a bit smoother in its new five-speed guise, it's still fairly sharp and grabby. At very low speeds there's also a tendency for the car to leap on the throttle. You give it a gentle prod with the right foot and nothing happens. So you give it a tiny bit more and it lurches forward. Annoying in a car whose raison d'être is to make short work of the city.

Driving
With a wider track and longer wheelbase, than the previous version the new Smart handles and rides a lot better. The odd involuntary, partial lane-change still occurs in strong crosswinds, and big lorries will suck you up just like they did before, but left to its own devices the Smart feels far less hampered by its modest proportions than it used to. Ride can still be on the hard side, though, with imperfections transmitted into the cabin.

Space
There's enough space for two tall adults to get comfortable, and an increase of 55mm in length translates into more in the way of useful storage, especially in the dash and door pockets. Plus at 340 litres, an extra 70 litres of boot space has been added over the old model.

Build quality
Much improved. Everything you touch feels infinitely more car-like than the Toys 'R' Us incarnation we're all used to. Although the afterthought dashmounted dials are still in situ, the stereo is a more convincingly integrated unit, the heater a lot less of a fiddle and some of the auxiliary switches are now borrowed straight from Mercedes proper.

Equipment
Trim levels are as before - Pure, Pulse and Passion. Despite costing a hefty £7,000 the entry Pure doesn't offer much, just remote central locking and a CD player. How generous. The Pulse adds 15in alloy wheels, electric windows and a panoramic roof, but only the £9k Passion hands you air conditioning and a luggage cover for the boot.

Safety
ESP, Brake Assist and ABS are all standard, which is unprecedented for this class. Pedestrian safety has been improved to meet with US legislation that's dominatrix-strict.

Owning
You can't lose. Small engines equate to high 60mpg economy and low CO2 emissions, which in turn bring a low road-fund tax bill (£35 per year). The old model hangs onto its values well and we expect the same with this one.

Value
Despite its diminutive dimensions, this is not cheap motoring, especially for just the two of you.

Verdict
There's no denying the new Smart is a good car, but it's not the futureproof urban transport solution the old one was. It's gotten too big and too expensive. So, easy to love in isolation, but harder to justify in a market thick with capable four-seat city cars.

Don't want a roof?

Convertible
The good news is that the removal of the roof hasn't detracted from the handling. The bad news is this was never great anyway. Choppy and bouncy, there's little front-end grip. There are just two enigines so far, a 71 and a 84bhp one-litre. Either will do just fine.

In all other respects it's the same as the regular Smart. Fine by me.

At 6 ft 6, and 2 kids It aint for me!!

B

Benjamin28

FWIW - I traded "down" so to speak when prices went thru the roof. I was driving a 2006 Toyota Sienna - and I hated it. Too big for my taste. My hubby was looking at the Honda Fit as a replacement for his Grand Caravan (need room to carry tool, but get good mileage). I saw the new Honda Civic coupe - and bought one about 3 weeks later. Price was not double of the ForTwo. We went from dual minivans to dual Honda household.:biglaugh:

Yes, I'm seriously considering trading my car in for a honda civic, as the fuel economy alone would save me $120 a month (I have a long commute and a six cylinder right now). It's double the price if you get the hybrid civic, for the regular civic it's perhaps 6-8k more. I don't imagine resale on the ForTwo would be good at all considering it's a new vehicle (unproven) and cheap to begin with.

R

ramblinpaul

I don't imagine resale on the ForTwo would be good at all considering it's a new vehicle (unproven) and cheap to begin with.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with your points (arguments) for a poor resale value. It's not a new car, it's just new to the US. We've had it in Canada for a number of years, and it's a proven car.

Also, resale shouldn't be measured in dollars, it always be measured in a vehicles ability to "hold value" when compared to the initial purchase cost. The initial cost, high or low, should have no bearing on whether the resale is good or bad. It's the resale vs. the intial cost which should be measured.

Top Bottom