Warbirds - Military airplane fans

Mickeyman said:

I wonder if someone should start a separate thread for old warbird fans and musicians...?

I took Mickey's cue here. He posted this in the humour thread. There seems to be a number of warbirds and general aviation freaks around.

/Claes

K

Ken K

Thanks Claes. Just wondering though

for old warbird fans and musicians

I hope this doesn't include too many "old" musicians...don't think I can handle listening to Mick Jagger too long. :rolleyes:

Love the warbirds, but really love the jets. While at the EAA I've had the pleasure of seeing the Concorde, Harrier, C130, Stealth Fighter, B1 Bomber and one performance that blew me away.

It was a couple of years ago and at the end of the airshow, we could hear a jet warming up in the distance. There were no other planes in the sky so we knew it would be a short fly-by. They usually restrict the jets from doing too much at the show mainly because of the location of the airport.

Anyways, a few minutes later we could hear the roar as it took off to the south right in front of us. He probably went a couple miles out and then he did a bank coming back in. He came down the runway maybe 200' above it, did a slow climb to the north and almost disappeared. A short while later he came in, only this time he was about 50' off the runway.

When he was almost right in front of us, he pulled the stick back, lit the afterburners and did the most unbelievable verticle climb I have ever witnessed. The sight and sound were amazing. I can't imagine how many G's he pulled, but he was gone in no time.

He was about a mile up when my wife leaned over and said she never knew fighter jets had headlights on the back of their wings. I explained to her she was witnessing the burning of numerous gallons of jet fuel and not headlights. She also was impressed.

Almost forgot...it was a F16 with attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Michael T

Coooool....

Thanks Claes!!

While this isn't an "old" warbird... in the museum of Wright Patterson Airforce Base... standing directly under the North American XB-70 "Valkyrie" ... a moment of awe at the design & skill that could build such a bird.

What an amazing aircraft!!!

Still... the B-17 is without a doubt my favorite aircraft... 2nd place: Spitfire & Hurricane in a 3 way tie with the P-38 Lightning.

Can't forget the Germans: Messerschmidt ME-109, Dornier DO-17Z, the Junkers Stuka.... incredible planes.

Cheers!

J

JRKH

Re: Coooool....

Michael T said:

Can't forget the Germans: Messerschmidt ME-109, Dornier DO-17Z, the Junkers Stuka.... incredible planes.

Cheers!

Amen to that.
Although I am not a big fan of the jets, How can you beat the ME-262. The worlds first operational jet fighter. With a design so modern and sleek it still looks like a modern design.

I heard a few years back that someone down in Texas (I think) was trying to build some flying replicas. but I haven't heard anything recently. Now that would be something to see.

James

M

Mickeyman

Speaking of things we hear but haven't confirmed, I heard that the former USSR is actually selling off some Migs. Has anyone heard anything about being able to buy one? I know you can buy a ride in one, but that's not quite the same thing...

D

db

Can't forget choppys

This isn't old warbird stuff, but many years ago I had the opportunity to participate in an exercise with the 82nd airborne. I was a POW expert training them on how to process EPW. We flew to the training site in UH1s 'nap of the earth' style! Man what a ride!:eek: We sat facing the side door and one second you were look at the trees passing. A second later, you saw nothing but sky as the Huey banked. A second later you saw the passing dirt as the Huey banked the other direction. I loved it!!! :smokin:

I think they wanted to scare us "part-timers", but it made me want to learn to fly one of them puppies. :cool:

M

Michael T

Woah....

Mickeyman said:

Speaking of things we hear but haven't confirmed, I heard that the former USSR is actually selling off some Migs. Has anyone heard anything about being able to buy one? I know you can buy a ride in one, but that's not quite the same thing...

Mickeyman... if you can afford one of those... you are definitely out of my league!!! :vfunny: :biglaugh: :smokin:

If you do buy one... I want a ride!!! :bigwave:

D

db

Rides

In another thread, there is talk of trying to get us all together. Perhaps Mickeyman can provide the transportation to Marc's Cayman home for the get together (one at a time of course). What about it Mickeyman? :agree:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I'm too young to know much about the WWII warbirds, but I remember my Dad pointing out Mustangs, Corsairs, Spitfires, Lightnings, B-17's, B-29's and some Mitchell plane I don't recall in movies and telling me about them when I was young. He played with those as toys as a boy during WWII. He got to see a B-17 at an airshow recently and really loved it. I'd like to take him to a good old plane airshow, but he won't fly to get there (afraid to fly)!!! Kinda ironic.

But for a young pup like me (30-something), I gotta say the SR-71 Blackbird is my favorite plane. So d*mn fast it outruns bullets and missles? Still the fastest plane ever a few decades after introduction? Flies over 15 miles up? Gotta love that!

One goal before I die is to go supersonic (or almost, if over land) in a fighter jet. Maybe one of those MIG's I've read about. If I ever get the $ and the guts! I envy those TV guys who get to go up in Tomcats or Eagles or with the stunt teams for promotional rides!

Mike S.

M

Mickeyman

Quote:
"In another thread, there is talk of trying to get us all together. Perhaps Mickeyman can provide the transportation to Marc's Cayman home for the get together (one at a time of course). What about it Mickeyman?"

Good question. How many G's can you pull?

Top Bottom