Warehouse and shipping/receiving activities need to be part of our scope?

R

Roberto Vigo

I work for a fastener company and recently went thru an ISO 9001-2008 Surveillance Audit. The auditor wrote us a Major CA, because "The warehouse and shipping/receiving activities were not noted in the scope". Is this something that must be on the scope?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
V

Vthouta

It's really a tricky question. It depends on how you have presented the scope in the quality manual. Definitely, I'm sure in general no one mentions that specifically about the the warehouse and shipping/receiving in the scope of the QMS.

As shipping/receiving comes under the part of the product line/service that you will be mentioning in scope of the quality manual.

But, it is presented in the QMS interaction diagram which will be clear to the auditor.

I'm not sure about the finding, but it's really an interesting question to know and even I will be waiting for an exact answer from other professionals.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
I work for a fastener company and recently went thru an ISO 9001-2008 Surveillance Audit. The auditor wrote us a Major CA, because "The warehouse and shipping/receiving activities were not noted in the scope". Is this something that must be on the scope?
What does your scope statement say exactly? If these activities were previously annotated or described in your quality manual as components of your QMS, and your scope statement already gives a broad description of what you do, then you should've been OK.

Scope statements don't need to include every single thing you do, they simply need to describe in a nutshell what is covered under your organization - for ISO 9001 this is usually limited to products and services. Things like receiving, operations and shipping are normally inherent in most (if not all) organizations, so I'm already having trouble following the CB auditor's justification as a major NC (do they really need to re-visit on-site to verify a wording change?).

FYI, our scope statement reads (verbatim) "Repair and Refurbishment of Cellular Products" and is present on our 9K, 14K, 18K and R2 certificates. Our CB has no issues with this whatsoever, and YES we do have a shipping and receiving area....

Brian :rolleyes:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
How do you get a "major" for a certificate "error" on a surveillance audit? Seems to me this would be handled at the registration audit. This is the kind of nonsense that gives upper management their negative outlook on ISO. I'd get rid of the auditor.

Randy

Super Moderator
Load of dung, especially if he's a contract auditor which could mean that he's just trying to increase his revenue

Use your right to appeal on this one, and ask that he not come back

M

Moonlight17

Agree on all the above.
Our scope reads the same for 9k, 14k, 18k & 27k. It does not state we have warehousing, receiving & despatch - although we do have these areas - who doesn't?:2cents:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Is this something that must be on the scope?
The line of thought needs to be: Are there any processes/activities which can impact product conformity and customer satisfaction for the stated scope of certification which were not assessed by the certification body?

If the answer is yes, that situation needs to be corrected. A nonconformity was probably not the proper mechanism to capture the situation, and a dialogue should be had with the registrar to rectify the situation. Typically a "special audit" is used to "correct/increase/decrease scopes of certification".

The need to cover processes/activities should have been one of the aspects discussed during the Stage 1 audit and, it seems, whomever performed the stage 1 audit might have goofed in this respect. You can (and should) ask the CB how did that happen.

Ha! What a bad auditor! Just as Randy says. How can it be a Major" for a start? Secondly "scopes" always have been somewhat vague and open for "interpretation". If the auditor was to have engaged their brain for just a few minutes, to think, the CB has "approved" the scope - especially at previous audits! Not all "activities" are necessarily listed as part of the scope, either. No, reject the major, tell the CB you don't want this auditor back, they should be aware of their lack of "customer service" and that you put THEM on notice for this error!

Randy

Super Moderator
OK, now it's more clear but it's not totally on you. Scope statements are now required to be more clear than in the past and I've had to rephrase quite a few for clients, not because they didn't do it, but because we (the CB) erred.

This NC still stinks :horse::horse:

Agree on all the above.
Our scope reads the same for 9k, 14k, 18k & 27k. It does not state we have warehousing, receiving & despatch - although we do have these areas - who doesn't?:2cents:
That's one of the craziest things I've ever read! How CAN an ISO 9001 scope be the same as an ISO 27001 scope? Or for ISO 14001? Agreed that the activities don't all have to be listed, as you state. But I fail to see how an EMS, QMS, ISMS and HSMS scope(s) can be the "same"...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Writing a Shipping and Receiving Procedure - Designated Warehouse Locations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Outsourcing Shipping Product directly from our Warehouse to the End Customer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Control plans for Incoming, Warehouse and Shipping process FMEA and Control Plans 5
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
L Significant change notice for outsourced warehouse Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Pharmaceuticals Warehouse temperature control (room temperature) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R Is there a mandatory medical device warehouse standard for europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G How to cover another manufacturing "site" or warehouse into current ISO 13485 cert ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
pammesue Non Conforming Material in the Warehouse..to tag or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D AS9100 section for Warehouse/Preservation of materials? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Brand New Warehouse - FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 9
B Fire Extinguisher Requirements for a Warehouse Vehicle Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
S Package Storage Direction in an I.T. Warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M FDA Wall Clearance Requirements For Warehouse 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Critical Limits for CCP in a food storage warehouse Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
A Food Warehouse ISO 9001 Audit and Newbie Introduction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Calibration in Warehouse Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Movement of Final Product from One Warehouse to Another Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R HACCP for Packaging, Labeling and Warehouse of Food Products Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 13
S Building and Warehouse requirements of OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
S Single Warehouse used by two different companies - One is ISO 13485 registered Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
J HACCP and ISO22000 - Brewery and Warehouse Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 13
M Kanban vs. Line Balancing - Process Engineering our Warehouse Process Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M Internal Warehouse Handling - A Reverse Logistic Case! Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
N 100% Inspection in Retail Warehouse which Ships Products to Customers Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
bgoers TS 16949 Upgrade for Distribution Warehouse IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Electronic Process Examples (IT Data Warehouse) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
N Managing Subcontracting Process - Material Traceability from Warehouse to Processing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Warehouse Layout Design Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
bgot62 Secondary Operations and an uncontrolled document in the warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Forklift Safety - Driver loses control in warehouse (Video) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
R VMP template for Temperature Data Loggers in a Pharma Warehouse Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
P Warehouse Audit - Nonconformance or not - That is the question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
A Rental Warehouse Audit required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
G Manufacturing -> Warehouse -> Tier 1/OEM - Process flow, PFMEA, & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 9
D Should I put Warehouse under Manufacturing Department? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
A Production Planning, Scheduling and Warehouse Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
I How to Balance a Warehouse System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
I Time Analysis of Logistics in a Warehouse Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C Requirements for Process Chemical Storage in a Warehouse Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 20
M Dock to Stock Template for Distributor/Warehouse of Industrial Metals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
J Free Warehouse Layout & Planning Guide and Facilities & Workplace Design guide Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
M President of company wants ISO 17025 for testing - Warehouse distributor ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Warehouse Space Utilization Spreadsheet Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Warehouse Design Layout - FDA Regulated Medical Manufacturer Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
T Warehouse Fire: QMS Involvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
D Segregation of Product by Type and Production Week - Warehouse General Auditing Discussions 2
A Identification and Traceability - Labeling spaces in warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12