Warehouse Fire: QMS Involvement?

T

Trolle

Help Fire!

We have just had a fire, well more of a fire incident, in our warehouse!
Its origin was faulty electrical system. Although this is sure to be treated in the realm of safety protocolls, I was thinking it could be a matter for the QMS. Nonconforming infrastructure? or am I just :bonk:

Cheers!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Of course, a fire in the warehouse can be a problem affecting quality....and I guess you could initiate a corrective action...but I would probably only go that route if you feel that the faulty system was due to poor workmanship and failure to follow the prescribed systems/procedures (internally) or the failure of a supplier (contractor) to meet your requirements.

It's hard to say without some more information. Age of bldg/electrical system, is your system following some type of inspection (preventive maintenance) scheme, etc.?

If product was impacted, I would say definitely, document the problem and all actions taken to ensure that the customer is impacted as little as possible, or what type of arrangements you will make with the customer because of loss of product/delivery schedules.

Your safety system should make provisions for investigation and correction of causes of incidents, but there is nothing that says you can't integrate your systems.

D

David Hartman

Trolle said:
Its origin was faulty electrical system. Although this is sure to be treated in the realm of safety protocolls, I was thinking it could be a matter for the QMS. Nonconforming infrastructure? or am I just :bonk:

Cheers!
I once had one of the internal auditors, who was working for me at the time, write-up the shipping dock for animal (raccoon) feces on the dock. She wrote it as a nonconformity against internal requirements for cleanliness in the work areas. :)

So I can't really see a problem with handling such incidents through the QMS, after all we have been proselytizing others to the belief that ISO 9001 applies to the entire system - not just product related processes.

T

Trolle

It wasnt so much the fire in itself but the fact that roof structures (burning!) fell down on top of plastic chemical containers. The warehouse staff put out the fire pronto! And forutunatly no adverse effect has ben noted. However if things had gone in a different direction all sorts of bad things would have followed.

And although, yes this is very much an issue for other "protocolls" still the QMS must assert itself. However Im a bit insecure if this incident is just such an example. But then again, what the heck, Ill go that route untill someone else says, not to! :smokin:

Cheers!

A

Aaron Lupo

Trolle said:

Cheers!
Just a thought, you may want to determine if you need to notify your Registrar if your are Certified. I know we had to when we had our fires, yes fires plural. Don't ask!

B

Bob_M

Obviously you can take you QMS and Non-Conforming/Audit reports to any Extreme deemed necessary.

Did your company have THAT building built for them? (i.e. new facility)?
Is the poor wiring within YOUR control?
Who is responsible for the wiring?
If common sense preventative maintenance was not performed on the building, I'd be more worried about OHSA than your QMS...

Just my $0.002 worth (no that's not a typo!)

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I never had experience with this, so this is JM(unexperienced)O...

I would be reluctant to write this us as a nonconforming under the QMS unless I could prove that someone in your company was negligent -- and even then I'd be careful depending on the culture of your company. Some accidents and things just cannot be reasonably anticipated and prevented. Because something happened it does not mean someone could/should have prevented it. Now, if someone plugged in 30 illegal extention cords in series and strung them across the plant to power something, or had an untrained (in electricity) secretary run 240V, 50 amp service to a machine, then something is very wrong. But I'd think there are enough people seriously concerned about this fire, and acting on it, that it might just look bad and create bad feelings if you came in and got the QMS involved in it and issued a nonconformance report or something. That might be rubbing salt in the wound and it might adversely affect how you and the QMS is seen in the future. Just something to consider...

Ooops Trolle,

You are on to something, and in ISO 9001:2000 I would say that 5.1a & 6.3a are the clauses you're looking for (See also ISO 9004:2000).

5.1a: communicating to the organization the importance of meeting customer as well as statutory and regulatory requirements,

6.3a: The organization shall determine, provide and maintain the infrastructure needed to achieve conformityto product
requirements. Infrastructure includes, as applicable
a) buildings, workspace and associated utilities,

There are a few things to consider, though:

1. You can do your level best to prevent a fire from occurring and still have one. Freak accidents can and will happen given time. Could you have done more to prevent the incident?

2. You will have legal reqirements to consider. We both know about Swedish law being tough in that respect. Do you have a Health & Safety management system going? If so, you can point your QMS in that direction. (I do). If not, you still have to follow the letter of the law (not to mention the guidelines from your insurance company. They will certainly want to havea say in this matter).

3. Do you have an EMS? Clause 4.4.7 in ISO 14001 (Emergency preparedness and response) is quite strict about taking precautions, and a fire is clearly not good for the environment. Same again: If you have it, you can point the QMS in that direction.

/Claes

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
ISO GUY said:
Just a thought, you may want to determine if you need to notify your Registrar if your are Certified. I know we had to when we had our fires, yes fires plural. Don't ask!
What was the reason for you to have to notify your registrar?

T

tomvehoski

I don't know that I would call it a nonconformance, but having had a client lose their building and 18 months of business due to a fire, I can see preventive actions or continuous improvement ideas here.

What would have happened if there was nobody around when the fire started? Are there alarms, sprinklers, etc? What if the chemical barrels had caught fire - explosoin? toxic fumes? Are plans in place to deal with hazardous situations? Are employees properly trained in fire control? What caused electrical system to fail? Could this happen in another area of the facility?

I would, at a minimum, initiate a preventive action to make sure some of these things are addressed. If you need to tie it to ISO, the section 6 requirements already stated make sense.

Tom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Fire Extinguisher Requirements for a Warehouse Vehicle Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
L Significant change notice for outsourced warehouse Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Pharmaceuticals Warehouse temperature control (room temperature) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
B Software for setting up New Warehouse Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R Is there a mandatory medical device warehouse standard for europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Warehouse and shipping/receiving activities need to be part of our scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
G How to cover another manufacturing "site" or warehouse into current ISO 13485 cert ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
pammesue Non Conforming Material in the Warehouse..to tag or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D AS9100 section for Warehouse/Preservation of materials? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Brand New Warehouse - FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 9
S Package Storage Direction in an I.T. Warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M FDA Wall Clearance Requirements For Warehouse 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M Critical Limits for CCP in a food storage warehouse Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
A Food Warehouse ISO 9001 Audit and Newbie Introduction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Calibration in Warehouse Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Movement of Final Product from One Warehouse to Another Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R HACCP for Packaging, Labeling and Warehouse of Food Products Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 13
S Building and Warehouse requirements of OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
S Single Warehouse used by two different companies - One is ISO 13485 registered Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
T Outsourcing Shipping Product directly from our Warehouse to the End Customer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J HACCP and ISO22000 - Brewery and Warehouse Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 13
M Kanban vs. Line Balancing - Process Engineering our Warehouse Process Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M Internal Warehouse Handling - A Reverse Logistic Case! Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
N 100% Inspection in Retail Warehouse which Ships Products to Customers Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
bgoers TS 16949 Upgrade for Distribution Warehouse IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Writing a Shipping and Receiving Procedure - Designated Warehouse Locations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Electronic Process Examples (IT Data Warehouse) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
N Managing Subcontracting Process - Material Traceability from Warehouse to Processing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Warehouse Layout Design Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
Q Control plans for Incoming, Warehouse and Shipping process FMEA and Control Plans 5
bgot62 Secondary Operations and an uncontrolled document in the warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Forklift Safety - Driver loses control in warehouse (Video) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
R VMP template for Temperature Data Loggers in a Pharma Warehouse Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
P Warehouse Audit - Nonconformance or not - That is the question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
A Rental Warehouse Audit required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
G Manufacturing -> Warehouse -> Tier 1/OEM - Process flow, PFMEA, & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 9
D Should I put Warehouse under Manufacturing Department? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
A Production Planning, Scheduling and Warehouse Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
I How to Balance a Warehouse System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
I Time Analysis of Logistics in a Warehouse Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C Requirements for Process Chemical Storage in a Warehouse Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 20
M Dock to Stock Template for Distributor/Warehouse of Industrial Metals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
J Free Warehouse Layout & Planning Guide and Facilities & Workplace Design guide Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
M President of company wants ISO 17025 for testing - Warehouse distributor ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Warehouse Space Utilization Spreadsheet Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Warehouse Design Layout - FDA Regulated Medical Manufacturer Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
D Segregation of Product by Type and Production Week - Warehouse General Auditing Discussions 2
A Identification and Traceability - Labeling spaces in warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12