Warehousing Department - Determining Measureable Objectives

W

warshe

objectives for warehousing dept.

Please tell me-which mesuarable quality objectives can be set for warehousing department and how can they be measured ?
Thank you for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
It would be difficult for anyone to tell you exactly what to measure. But here is my two cents:

1 - First, what is important to you (the warehouse manager)? Have he/she make a list. What is it they are “in business” to do? List the primary responsibilities and processes.
2 - Are any of the things important to a Customer, Internal and External (there are likely to be more than one customer in the chain). This should make the list shorter.
3 - Are the items listed, cyclical where measurement is practical? Use statistical methods to determine if the process is in statistical control. The process of using statistics should help to develop better understanding of the process. Other diagnostic methods should be used in conjunction.

Personally, I would narrow it down to a single important measure. The measure should be an indicator of the Relationship and tie to the focus of the organization.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Kevin

A

Al Dyer

I agree with Kevin and would like to bring up a couple of questions,

Depending on the scope of responsibility for the warehouse department, which might or might not include inventory, fifo, delivery etc...

Is a measurement needed (internal concerns)or required (customer)?

Can the value added aspect of the measurement be quantified?

ASD...

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
Al posted:

"Is a measurement needed (internal concerns)or required (customer)?"

I would say yes. But I sense that Al might be driving towards an important issue that someone in my organization likes to term "immence overkill". Too often, we begin to measure everything because we don't know what to measure. Measuring for the sake of measuring is just added waste. Be selective. Another fine point mentioned is whether this is an internally or customer driven need. Both types of measures are important. Someone here at the cove some time back mentioned finding measures as close to the customer as possible. I think that this is good advice. Where possible, a measure that serves both areas is an ideal choice.

"Can the value added aspect of the measurement be quantified?"

More of the measuring for the sake of measuring I mentioned above. Your measures must serve the purpose. Measures are the feedback of how well you are doing (as a system, process, method for example). But measuring takes time. Time costs money. We should challenge ourselves to find ways to create process controls whereever possible. Here, the measure might be classified as either value added or nonvalue added BUT necessary. Nonvalue added measure is pure waste. We have enough waste in a system that we should add additional waste.

This thread sure has my attention. It is funny how a seemingly simple question can generate expanded thought (at least for me). I am interested in what the group thinks about Measures for Continuous Improvement.

Regards,

Kevin

A

Al Dyer

Kevin,

You interpreted me correctly, I like to make sure that a measurement is going to produce positive results for the company and not just be window dressing.

You wrote:

"Someone here at the cove some time back mentioned finding measures as close to the customer as possible."

I'm guilty and I'm sure many other cove members have the same thought process.

When defining measures close to those used by the customer, my mind set was to use those (ie GM Quad Report) as part of our key measureables reported during management review. They would be drivers for continuous improvement efforts and also cover customer satisfaction requirements. Why re-invent the wheel?

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 07 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 07 March 2001).]

A

Al Dyer

Kevin,

Your Quote:

"This thread sure has my attention. It is funny how a seemingly simple question can generate expanded thought (at least for me)."

I can't agree more, in 18+ years I don't know how many times I have been "blindsided" by questions that should have a simple answer, but don't.

I had a mentor that once told me not to give my opinion on specific questions until I reviewed the standards in question. From then on I now ask people to tell me how they propose to do it, and give my opinion as to whether it meets the standard/element in question.

In my own paranoid way, I don't ask a question before I know the expected answer.

ASD...

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
It sounds like your mentor gave sage advice.

Standards create filters. They define the rules and boundaries. This is precisely a Paradigm. They are meant to assist us, but sometimes they do the opposite. This is why we need to be aware that Standards must change, but with careful deliberation.

My paradigm may be different from yours, and probably is. It is easy to respond to a problem or question with our own paradigms, but if it is different from someone elses, the answer might not make any sense. If we think about it, paradigms control our lives.

Life long standards are created by us, none of them exactly alike. We hear about the "busy noise" which clouds communication. Sometimes it is physical, a loud radio. Other times, it is our own set of filters, our perceptions, values and beliefs. They can get in the way and be as effective as a loud jack-hammer.

To be objective, we must understand the influences of paradigms. We must also make an attempt to understand the paradigms that influence others. We need to be aware of the differences so that we treat each other with respect and allow for opportunities for growth. I am constantly influenced by the shared paradigms of the many contributors here at the Cove and elsewhere.

Keep practicing whay you have learned from your mentor. I believe you both are right!

Regards,

Kevin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Objectives for Warehousing Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
E Good Warehousing Practices - Examples? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Audit Nonconformity for FMEA - Transit, Warehousing and Shipping ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Auto Parts Warehousing Facility ISO 14001 Significant Aspects ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 23
Q Warehousing and Distribution Operations - Books and Information help Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
S Warehousing and Transportation of Bottled Water Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
I Advice on Outsourcing all Manufacturing, Warehousing and Distribution Processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ISO 9001 Requirements for Warehousing Data (Records) - Medical Device Distributor Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
R Added Value Benefits for a Warehousing Company to be ISO13485 Registered ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Beverage Warehousing & Distribution Audit - Seeking Checklist or Key Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Warehousing: Is 7.3 applicable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Warehousing under ISO/QS9000 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
BeaBea How do I incorporate the IT department Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
S SOPs applicable for Regulatory Affairs department Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A ISO 17025 Requirement 6.2 - Department Manager Testing Qualifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Marc From the "I'm glad I'm retired" Department (Oct 2019) Career and Occupation Discussions 7
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
T Legalizing ISO 13485 certification with an US state department of health ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Which department manages Establishment Registration, Device Listing and GUDID? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Outsourced processes how to interact with projects - We are an governmental department with 2 persons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Department Plan for QA and HSE (profile, plans, structure, goals, etc.) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Medical Device News Olympus Medical pleads guilty to failing to file events notice: Justice Department Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Risks and opportunities that could be associated with the purchasing department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B FDA Philippines has no check or balance outside the health department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S My department inherited a large number CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Setting up a quality department in an Engineering Firm Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
S Quality Department Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
E ISO 9001:2015 for Information Technology Department Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Q How do we document a department name change? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
V Information Technology Dashboard - IT Department Performance Metrics IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
P Re-Numbering Documents from the last Standard to Department and Title Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
L Ways to improve testing on our department - Project Kickoff Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q Department Expansion as a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y TQM Implementation in Facilities Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A How to boost morale of Inspection Department Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
G Should the Quality Department originate a Request for Deviation to the Customer? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Quality Department - Operational Framework Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Acquisitions and Joint Ventures (Business Development Department) and ISO 13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Operational Procedure for an IT Service Industry Quality Department Service Industry Specific Topics 1
T Internal Audit not done for Quality Department Internal Auditing 11
A IT Managed Services Company Quality Department - Operational Document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3