Warehousing: Is 7.3 applicable?

R

romelnar

we have a client who is in warehousing industry. they are currently adopting iso9000:2000 on their qms. they are just receiving items from their customer for safekeeping. when these items are needed for their customer's use, they deliver them to the customer's premise. is 7.3 applicable to them? :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Only in the widest sense of the phrase. Technically, you provide a service. And you do design that service (in a sense).

I think you would want to request an exclusion from 7.3, however that does not excuse you from being ready to explain how you came up with your systems.

If it was me personally, I would define my service (warehousing) essentially as a product and ensure a system exists which outlines how changes are made to that system. You'll essentially have a 'design' system.

The issue of whether design is really a part of a company which provides a service has long been debated. In part, this is why it was put where it is in the 2000 version.

I also suggest you take a read through http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000202.html for starters. I also highly recommend that you take a read through http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000180.html which is also a very good read with respect to design in service industries. Both of these threads are good.
http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000031.html is from an 'earlier time' yet has some good insights.

I'm sure some of the other folks here will also have some ideas for you over the next few days.<hr>Edited 28 October 2001

I can't re-lookup and change every old link to posts in the old forums. Most of them *should* still be there. If you want to find the post in the New forums, if the link to the thread in the old forums works (most of them should...), look at the thread (topic) title and what forum it is in. Then back here in the New forums - go to that forum and look for the thread topic title - OR - do a Search for the key words from Title (Note - you can search entire threads or just the 'subject' or 'title' - if you look in the Forums search page you'll see the options.

Call me lazy...
:rolleyes:

If you want to find the post in the New forums, if the link to the thread in the old forums works (most of them should...), look at the thread (topic) title and what forum it is in. Then back here in the New forums - go to that forum and look for the thread topic title - OR - do a Search for the key words from Title (Note - you can search entire threads or just the 'subject' or 'title' - if you look in the Forums search page you'll see the options).

R

romelnar

thanks a lot marc. that was a very useful info.

there probably are some folks out there who are in the warehousing industry. could you guys give me a more specific method in addressing design and development? or if you exclude it, how did you justify your exclusion? there are still some grey areas that i would like to clear-out.

F

Fire Girl

Caution!

I would be leary of excluding design from your system. If the registrar feels that you do carry out design activiites, you will have to exclude all projects that use the design process as it is not 'controlled'with ISO. It's sort of hard to explain- do you know what I mean?
:)

I

ISO in Baltimore

My company provides warehousing services for our customers and we are excluding 7.3 from our quality system. We provide warehouse space and protection for our customers items and we transport their items for them as requested but we do not design anything for the customer. Warehousing is just one component of our service contract we have with the customer. Our registrar concurs with our exclusion of 7.3. Good luck!

I

ISO in Baltimore

We "stated" our justification in the Quality Manual under the Permissable Exclusions section. We stated that "due to the nature of our services, our customer requirements and applicable regulatory requirements, we do not have a design process." Hope that answers your question.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
E Good Warehousing Practices - Examples? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Audit Nonconformity for FMEA - Transit, Warehousing and Shipping ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Auto Parts Warehousing Facility ISO 14001 Significant Aspects ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 23
Q Warehousing and Distribution Operations - Books and Information help Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
S Warehousing and Transportation of Bottled Water Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
I Advice on Outsourcing all Manufacturing, Warehousing and Distribution Processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ISO 9001 Requirements for Warehousing Data (Records) - Medical Device Distributor Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
R Added Value Benefits for a Warehousing Company to be ISO13485 Registered ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Beverage Warehousing & Distribution Audit - Seeking Checklist or Key Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Warehousing Department - Determining Measureable Objectives Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
W Objectives for Warehousing Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W Warehousing under ISO/QS9000 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
DuncanGibbons Are the IQ OQ & PQ procedures applicable to the aerospace industry? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
G App - Local regulations applicable EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S SOPs applicable for Regulatory Affairs department Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
DuncanGibbons Who are ISO/IEC 17065 and 17025 applicable to? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B EU MDR Quality System Requirements - Applicable to Class I? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R CQI-15 for ultrasonic welding splices on wiring harness, is applicable? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
C Is IEC 60601 applicable to our smart bed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D Applicable MDR Annex's for Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Dilemma about choosing the most applicable clause related to Risk ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
DuncanGibbons To what extent are NASA standards applicable to commercial aviation? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Accelerated Ageing Test for Orthopedic Implants -- ASTM F 1980 or ISO 11607 or both are applicable ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Z CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Robotic Ultrasonic Foam onto Plastic "Weld" applicable? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M CEP requirements in MEDDEV 2.7/1, rev 4 and MDR - Are all MEDDEV requirements still applicable? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
MrTetris GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation - Only applicable to EU data? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
qualprod Only manufacturing, non applicable - ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
L Pneumatic powertool (Drill) - Is IEC 60601-1 applicable? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Q Applicable Medical Device Wifi regulations for various Countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
pcoltsqe AS9100 - The statement 'applicable statutory and regulatory requirements' AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Is it a NC, if a clause is not declared as non applicable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A ISO 13485:2016 Applicable regulatory requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.5.2 - Is Measurement traceability applicable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T To Identify the Applicable MDD Directive - Prepared blood smear EU Medical Device Regulations 13
qualprod Non applicable clauses in a reseller? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Class I 510(k) exempt - Applicable Standards 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T IATF16949:2016 8.7.1.4 Control of non-applicable reworked product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Standards Needed In House - Determining what standards are applicable Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M ISO13485:2016 - Exemption vs. Not Applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16