Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120

Targething

Registered
Was just told by a distribution company selling AMS 5643 material that we MUST buy it from an AS certified company. They are referring to AS 6279 as the driver. Any experience?

Generally I look for the thread that pulls from the low level spec ( as in must follow xxx) or from the highest level spec (AS9100) and not finding it in either place.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I don't have a copy of the SAE AS6279 document, but the summary available from the SAE website reads as below:

AS6279B.jpg
In my experience, when I participated in the AAQSC, an SAE document would NEVER have a requirement like the one you mentioned, but things might have changed. It is a fact, though, that some OEMs mandate supplier certification to AS91X0 standards as a requirement to do business with.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Was just told by a distribution company selling AMS 5643 material that we MUST buy it from an AS certified company. They are referring to AS 6279 as the driver. Any experience?

Generally I look for the thread that pulls from the low level spec ( as in must follow xxx) or from the highest level spec (AS9100) and not finding it in either place.

Check with your customer (which should have been done during contract review) or check with other suppliers on their requirement. This is a new one to me.

mbeardsley

Registered
This spec was written in 2014 by the powers-to-be in aerospace with the intent of eventually making it a requirement for all metal raw material base specifications of importance. That didn't happen all at once (the botched release of AS9100:2015 and it's effects are a story for another day...,) It has methodically crept into different raw material base specs, based on material groups. It started showing up as a requirement in Titanium specs, and more recently in the precipitation hardenable CRES specs (15-5, 17-4, etc.) In AS6279 it does state that distributors are required to be AS certified or otherwise approved by the design organization that specified the material. Generally speaking, the statement your distributor made is correct. Most distributors live in the aerospace materials world by achieving source approval with one or more of the large aerospace companies, which usually requires them to have one of the AS certifications.

Top Bottom