Waste Categorization - Medical Device (Disposable Sensor)

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Disposable sensor, product consists of cable with inner shielding and connector, and having adhesive backed fabric, foam or PUF pad package for the electronic sensing and detecting elements, which are soldered to the wires within the cable. Part applied on neat skin of patient (mostly wraped around finger, or fixed on forehead or dorsum of foot in infants, or earlobes)
When disposal does this amount to WEEE or hospital waste ?

Dear Somashekar,

You have raised an interesting question. I would like to compare this with a stethoscope - as I don't see any electronics in the part that you have mentioned and that the part wound over the finger is similar to the chestpiece of the stethoscope (I assume that there is no transfer of body fluids or tissues on to the sensor). In my opinion, as of now (as the E-Waste legislation is still in the draft stage), this waste has to be considered as a solid waste in India. If the lead content (because of soldering) is more than the threshold limit given in the Haz. Waste (M & H) Rules, then it may be considered as a hazardous waste.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Dear Somashekar,

You have raised an interesting question. I would like to compare this with a stethoscope - as I don't see any electronics in the part that you have mentioned and that the part wound over the finger is similar to the chestpiece of the stethoscope (I assume that there is no transfer of body fluids or tissues on to the sensor). In my opinion, as of now (as the E-Waste legislation is still in the draft stage), this waste has to be considered as a solid waste in India. If the lead content (because of soldering) is more than the threshold limit given in the Haz. Waste (M & H) Rules, then it may be considered as a hazardous waste.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan
Thank you sir.
The draft E-waste rules 30.3.10 from GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND FORESTS as in Schedule I has catagorised medical device as below to be E-waste
v. Medical devices (except implanted and infected products)
Radiotherapy equipment
Cardiology
Dialysis
Pulmonary ventilators
Nuclear medicine
Laboratory equipment for in-vitro diagnosis
Analysers
Freezers
Fertilization tests
Other appliances for detecting, preventing, monitoring, treating, alleviating illness, injury or disability.

Per this I can consider it to be an E-waste here in India.
I wish to know how this type of a disposable device is treated in other regulated regions.

Dear Mr.Somashekar,

Schedule I of the draft E-Waste rules should be read with the definition of EEE (Electrical & Electronics Equipment) given in Chapter I.3.l of the draft. Please check if the part that you mentioned can be classified as an EE equipment as per this definition.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Top Bottom