Ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent

Hi everyone,

Besides a written evaluation, what are some other ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent? We have been scratching our heads to come up with some other means to testing employee competence. Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Jobs, tasks, competente and related stuff are under the human factors engineering field.

Look at a book such as Handbook of Task Analysis Procedures (see table of contents in Amazon) for techniques for learning analysis, techniques for job/skill/behaviour analysis, SME analysis, and others.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Hi everyone,

Besides a written evaluation, what are some other ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent? We have been scratching our heads to come up with some other means to testing employee competence. Thank you.
Have you read:

There are more related discussions here if you take the time to search and read existing discussions.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

One other way is by the reporting manager stating (somewhere in your format having a designated place for effectiveness statement) that the employee is trained and competent. But then, that manager must be competent to assess and evaluate, and must be so authorized. This can be after some time lapse (predetermined) between training provided date and effectiveness evaluated date.

Hi everyone,

If you turn to the definition of "competence" there's a clue: The demonstrated ability..."

Written responses are not worth much in my mind. If someone doesn't have much of an education, doesn't mean they can't do a great job. My advice, ditch the written stuff and have people show you they can do the task(s)/work/process...

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
If you turn to the definition of "competence" there's a clue: The demonstrated ability..."

Written responses are worth much in my mind. If someone doesn't have much of an education, doesn't mean they can't do a great job. My advice, ditch the written stuff and have people show you they can do the task(s)/work/process...
Yep, how about just watch them work and how they perform required tasks, it's exactly what happens with airline pilots.

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Excellent points, but whatever the metric, you would have to document that they were evaluated and were deemed competent. What the auditors are looking fro is the paper trail of the evaluation and any corrective action that resulted (and then a re-evaluation, if required).

Randy

Super Moderator
Excellent points, but whatever the metric, you would have to document that they were evaluated and were deemed competent. What the auditors are looking fro is the paper trail of the evaluation and any corrective action that resulted (and then a re-evaluation, if required).
What I look for is ability to perform required tasks effectively as required, the necessary blocks have been checked...I watch myself and verify performance and the record of it.....That's the metric.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Call me crazy, but if I'm trained to complete Process A and Process A has no outputs with quality issues, customer complaints, process infractions, etc., (at least while I'm on doing Process A) have I not essentially demonstrated that I am competent?

And since we track quality issues, customer complaints, process infractions (e.g., downtime), there are your measures.

Demonstrating competence should not be a difficult or onerous activity...you're probably already doing it, but just haven't taken a step back to look at the issue from a higher perspective.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Ways to attract clients - Flyer distribution in Toronto, Canada Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule Internal Auditing 25
L Ways to improve testing on our department - Project Kickoff Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
E Best Ways to Close a Project APQP and PPAP 3
F Supplier Audits - Creative ways to gain confidence in the next Supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
N Ways to Destroy Scrap Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Appropriate ways to address Competency? Generic vs Specific ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Ways to check to see if the gage is being used General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
AnaMariaVR2 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Retail stores plan elaborate ways to track you After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C Which of these 2 ways would you implement a Quality System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Change in Career Path - Logical Steps Up and Ways Forward Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R 6.2.2 - Any other ways to satisfy it if No Performance Evaluation carried out? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Recognition of team members in ways other than money? Customer Complaints 5
K Ways to Improve Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L Creative and powerful ways of Communicating your QMS to your Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Different Distribution Parameters when analyzing the same data in different ways Using Minitab Software 8
J What are the best ways to capture Customer Perception? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler on "How Measurement Error Affects the Four Ways We Use Data" Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
M Ways to encourage participation of other dept in preparing for the surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Other ways to Measure Customer Perception apart from Surveys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Plastic Mold Approval - What are the ways to reduce mold approval cycle? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
V Ways to Recycle Paper Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
P 5 Ways to Ensure Mediocrity in Your Organization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
N Ways to avoid injected bugs while Bug fixing (software) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
A Ways of Gathering Customer Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Definition Modify, Magnify, Minify, and Substitute - Seeking practical ways of differentiation Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 17
S Lean - Ways to Measure Equipment Flexibility - Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
C 5 Ways to Find Product Standards AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
V ISO 9001 Virtual Audits - Ways to audit remote locations such as design centers General Auditing Discussions 6
R CMM Machine upgrade - Ways to reduce CMM inspection cycle time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Ways where a Document Controller's Effectiveness could be enhanced. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Creative Ways to Communicate Customer Complaints to Manufacturing. Customer Complaints 10
Y Perform 2 ways ANOVA in minitab with non normal data involved Using Minitab Software 5
T "Creative" ways to handle Early Production Containment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
A How many ways do you classify your scrap? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
apestate Vibration, Measurement and Isolation - Good ways to isolate M&TE from vibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Sampling Plans and Cpk - Ways to Calculate the Sample Quantity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
R Looking for Advice on ways to collect Inspection Data Electronically Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
B 20 Ways To Annoy Your Public Bathroom Stallmate Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
K Inspection: Looking for ways to check 10 x 20 foot "checking aid" mylars Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Tom W Starting down the 14001 path - Ways to implement 14001 at my organization ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Training to ISO 14001 - Effective ways to get the ISO information across to trainees Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 38
J ROI NPV HRV DIF or payback time? Ways to calculate cost benefit analysis Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
K Seeking Guidance on the most effective items and ways to Benchmark Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
O In 4.11 under Calibration Services states three ways of doing calibration QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4