Ways to encourage participation of other dept in preparing for the surveillance audit

M

miwriter

May I ask for any suggestions on how I can encourage my co workers to participate in preparing for the surveillance audit? since most of the responsible people resigned, those left in our company are very busy doing their pending work to attend to earlier client commitments...I already conducted an IQA and gave them copies of CAPA but then I am not sure when can they have a time to look into them..I understand client commitment is a priority but with only few days left, we need to have time for the preparation..I am thinking if asking for a planned sched of activities for filling the gap will help but it may not be enough to present to the auditor..

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Ka Pilo

Re: Ways to encourage participation of other dept in preparing for the surveillance a

Try top down approach. It should start from the top by demonstrating strong leadership and commitment thru quality policy and objectives, plans, programs, etc. and drive the system. That will motivate everyone to work toward the same goals.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Ways to encourage participation of other dept in preparing for the surveillance a

May I ask for any suggestions on how I can encourage my co workers to participate in preparing for the surveillance audit? since most of the responsible people resigned, those left in our company are very busy doing their pending work to attend to earlier client commitments...I already conducted an IQA and gave them copies of CAPA but then I am not sure when can they have a time to look into them..I understand client commitment is a priority but with only few days left, we need to have time for the preparation..I am thinking if asking for a planned schedule of activities for filling the gap will help but it may not be enough to present to the auditor..
If you require participation for the surveillance audit then you're on the wrong track. A surveillance audit or any audit for that matter should not be a special event. The quality management system is expected to operate normally; audits pending or not. Too many times things get done because of "the audit." The message that is sent to the employees is "we must do this to please the auditor." Audit completed? Back to business as usual. Not good. :nope:

The (hopefully ongoing) encouragement needs to come from Top Management.

Good Luck.

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

Sounds a little like you may be suffering from an attack of nerves/stress caused by IOEA (Impending Onset of External Audit) :D

You may find some of the info in this thread helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

miwriter

Thank you guys for the advises, yeah perhaps I am overwhelmed with the new tasks given to me and seems everyone is busy doing their own thing..one time I have tried asking them to plot their preparation activity for the audit but it didn't worked..

M

miwriter

Try top down approach. It should start from the top by demonstrating strong leadership and commitment thru quality policy and objectives, plans, programs, etc. and drive the system. That will motivate everyone to work toward the same goals.
Yeah, I agree however what will be the best thing to do if the top mgt is somehow weak or say still finding their feet since they are also new?

J

JaneB

Yeah, I agree however what will be the best thing to do if the top mgt is somehow weak or say still finding their feet since they are also new?
There's a difference between weak and finding one's feet.

The advice is still in line with the good advice you've been given. I'd aim to work together with them and approach it as a joint exercise.

PS If someone sked me to 'plot my preparation for the audit' I probably wouldn't understand what they meant/wouldn't know what to do and/or would thus ignore/defer or duck the advice (instruction?).

You could help them instead by saying: here's a quick summary list of things that should be in place for the audit.' eg,
- Procedures up to date
- A good example or two prepared (in case they're asked)
- For manufacturing etc, place looking tidy (eg, clean workbenches)
etc

Don't make it a horribly long list! No more than 7-8 items absolute max!

I'd take the "I'm sure you've already done them, but just in case not I'd like to help you" tone.

M

miwriter

There's a difference between weak and finding one's feet.

The advice is still in line with the good advice you've been given. I'd aim to work together with them and approach it as a joint exercise.

PS If someone sked me to 'plot my preparation for the audit' I probably wouldn't understand what they meant/wouldn't know what to do and/or would thus ignore/defer or duck the advice (instruction?).

You could help them instead by saying: here's a quick summary list of things that should be in place for the audit.' eg,
- Procedures up to date
- A good example or two prepared (in case they're asked)
- For manufacturing etc, place looking tidy (eg, clean workbenches)
etc

Don't make it a horribly long list! No more than 7-8 items absolute max!

I'd take the "I'm sure you've already done them, but just in case not I'd like to help you" tone.

Thanks Ms. Jane, yeah I tried it, when I requested them to plot activities I suggested a list of priority items they might need to address like need to have at least a masterlist of projects so that we know what project is completed and what are still pending, master list of quality records per department since we currently have problem in locating files, complete training records etc.. and I also requested them to at least identify who can work/give data at least for me to consolidate and their target completion dates..but then they seem to be busy and until now no reply from them..I already raised it to top mgt but then they too seem to be busy to look into it..:(

E

Elynn

Thanks Ms. Jane, yeah I tried it, when I requested them to plot activities I suggested a list of priority items they might need to address like need to have at least a masterlist of projects so that we know what project is completed and what are still pending, master list of quality records per department since we currently have problem in locating files, complete training records etc.. and I also requested them to at least identify who can work/give data at least for me to consolidate and their target completion dates..but then they seem to be busy and until now no reply from them..I already raised it to top mgt but then they too seem to be busy to look into it..:(
This sounds like my workplace too. I will push it.

First of all, adjust the frequency for internal audit (this may sound silly but it works), report and publish the findings officially so they will be seen as the culprit violating the quality policy when evidence are not found.

Then work around those who are more cooperative.

My apology to say that... if you do not have top mgmt support, the very fundamental requirement, you should be mentally ready that you are not able to walk away clean for the surveillance audit...

J

JaneB

Yup, that sounds problematic. Why are they too busy?

I still wonder if it comes back to the focus being wrong: a quality system should not be focussed on external audits, but on providing value to the organisation.

If it isn't, then virtually all management will always be disinterested/ too busy/ too whatever. I have no idea whether this is the issue at your organisation, but - other than being certified - is the quality system seen as valuable? Does it provide confidence to management that requirements are being met?

Ultimately the system has to be owned and led from the top. If it isn't, maintaining it, working on it, trying to get people to do what they're supposed to do etc. is almost invariably an exercise in frustration. People will do what their management makes plain it cares about. The nly possible thing you can do in that situation is to report the situation to top management, highlight the risks and... stand back. Let the accountability stay with where it must: top management.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Ways to attract clients - Flyer distribution in Toronto, Canada Service Industry Specific Topics 1
S Ways to demonstrate objective evidence that employee is trained and competent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
J AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule Internal Auditing 25
S What are some ways to demonstrate Effectiveness of Training? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
L Ways to improve testing on our department - Project Kickoff Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
E Best Ways to Close a Project APQP and PPAP 3
F Supplier Audits - Creative ways to gain confidence in the next Supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
N Ways to Destroy Scrap Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Appropriate ways to address Competency? Generic vs Specific ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Ways to check to see if the gage is being used General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
AnaMariaVR2 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Retail stores plan elaborate ways to track you After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C Which of these 2 ways would you implement a Quality System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Change in Career Path - Logical Steps Up and Ways Forward Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R 6.2.2 - Any other ways to satisfy it if No Performance Evaluation carried out? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Recognition of team members in ways other than money? Customer Complaints 5
K Ways to Improve Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L Creative and powerful ways of Communicating your QMS to your Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Different Distribution Parameters when analyzing the same data in different ways Using Minitab Software 8
J What are the best ways to capture Customer Perception? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler on "How Measurement Error Affects the Four Ways We Use Data" Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
D Other ways to Measure Customer Perception apart from Surveys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Plastic Mold Approval - What are the ways to reduce mold approval cycle? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
V Ways to Recycle Paper Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
P 5 Ways to Ensure Mediocrity in Your Organization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
N Ways to avoid injected bugs while Bug fixing (software) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
A Ways of Gathering Customer Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Definition Modify, Magnify, Minify, and Substitute - Seeking practical ways of differentiation Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 17
S Lean - Ways to Measure Equipment Flexibility - Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
C 5 Ways to Find Product Standards AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
V ISO 9001 Virtual Audits - Ways to audit remote locations such as design centers General Auditing Discussions 6
R CMM Machine upgrade - Ways to reduce CMM inspection cycle time Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Ways where a Document Controller's Effectiveness could be enhanced. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Creative Ways to Communicate Customer Complaints to Manufacturing. Customer Complaints 10
Y Perform 2 ways ANOVA in minitab with non normal data involved Using Minitab Software 5
T "Creative" ways to handle Early Production Containment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
A How many ways do you classify your scrap? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
apestate Vibration, Measurement and Isolation - Good ways to isolate M&TE from vibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Sampling Plans and Cpk - Ways to Calculate the Sample Quantity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
R Looking for Advice on ways to collect Inspection Data Electronically Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
B 20 Ways To Annoy Your Public Bathroom Stallmate Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
K Inspection: Looking for ways to check 10 x 20 foot "checking aid" mylars Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T Starting down the 14001 path - Ways to implement 14001 at my organization ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Training to ISO 14001 - Effective ways to get the ISO information across to trainees Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 38
J ROI NPV HRV DIF or payback time? Ways to calculate cost benefit analysis Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
K Seeking Guidance on the most effective items and ways to Benchmark Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4