We anneal aluminum tube (tier 2, bulk material) - Does CQI-9 apply to us?

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Hello, I've been searching here and the rest of the net trying to figure this out.. One of our customers have the requirement of us doing the CQI-9 assessment. After studying up on this, I'm confused. I'm assuming that the CQI-9 is based on the AMS 2750D. And, the AMS 2750D is for furnaces utilizing pyrometry? We anneal aluminum tube (tier 2, bulk material). A lot of the language in the CQI, references the AMS, but we don't do any pryometry at our ovens. These are simply large batch ovens. We do everything else, but pyrometry.

I imagine I'm going to be told to ask the customer, but that is just going to lead to a long drawn out affair because our customer doesn't know anything about it.

If anyone could clarify any of this, it would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

world quality

Jimmy/ This might help you understand and how CQI9 is joining intogether with standards.
Hope this helps you.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rickmcq

Hello, I've been searching here and the rest of the net trying to figure this out.. One of our customers have the requirement of us doing the CQI-9 assessment. After studying up on this, I'm confused. I'm assuming that the CQI-9 is based on the AMS 2750D. And, the AMS 2750D is for furnaces utilizing pyrometry? We anneal aluminum tube (tier 2, bulk material). A lot of the language in the CQI, references the AMS, but we don't do any pryometry at our ovens. These are simply large batch ovens. We do everything else, but pyrometry.

I imagine I'm going to be told to ask the customer, but that is just going to lead to a long drawn out affair because our customer doesn't know anything about it.

If anyone could clarify any of this, it would be appreciated.
CQI-9 is not based on AMS 2750D but it does reference certain sections of it.

You have thermocouples, temperature indicators, annealing processes...so on and so forth. Your customer is asking you to assess yourself.

Are you processes adequate?
Do you do System Accuracy tests?
Do you keep logs and records?
Equipment maintenance?
Key equipment replacement parts on site?
Alarms?
Qualified operators?
Management review and sign offs?

Get the CQI-9 self assessment worksheet(which I think is here somewhere) and do the assessment. What doesn't apply to you just put N/A in the appropriate column.

Rick

krishkaar

Involved In Discussions
CQI-9 (Revision-2) - Process Table-E actually refers to Annealing / Normalizing / Stress-relieving Process requirements also.

So, if your customer demands CQI_9 assessment, you may have to apply the appropriate requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mohammed Gouda How to "Anneal" a Glass Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Definition Sol. (Solution) Heat Treated - As pertains to stainless steels - Solution Anneal Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Aluminum - What is the difference between 6061-T6 and 6061-T651 (both per ASTM B211)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
F AS9100 D - Verification of purchased product - Sheet metal and aluminum extrusion stock AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
R Specification on flare testing extruded aluminum - Where to find Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D Ideas for Poka Yoke or Improvement - Aluminum FOD in Assembly Customer Complaints 3
R DFARS Compliance - Purchasing Aluminum Alloy 7075 -T73511 per AMS-QQ-A-200/11 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
C Looking for Testing Laboratory for Aluminum Products - CE Marking General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Wire Holder for Resistance Measurement of Stranded Aluminum Wire Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C DFAR 252.225-7008 - Is aluminum, say T6061, considered specialty metal (i) steel? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
A Aluminum Die Casting Product Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
J Maximal limit of Aluminum in Polymer Medical Device Implants (EU) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J Determining if there is Tin Plating on an Aluminum Bar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A 1st Time Purchase of Aluminum Extrusion - First Article? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Marc Ford is introducing an Aluminum F-150 Pick 'em Up Truck World News 1
M AMS2770 Aluminum Heat Treat - Determining Soak Time Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Douglas E. Purdy Relation of Aluminum 6061-0 to AMS 4025 or AMS 4027 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
U Looking for Bolt Thread Specifications for Delrin & Aluminum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D How to test the quality of black anodized aluminum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Q 12GA Polished Aluminum Sheet Metal Discoloration Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
DietCokeofEvil Calibration - Granite Plates or Aluminum Plates for Acclimating General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Measuring Holes in Material Stack - Carbon Composite-Aluminum Alloy-Titanium Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S ASTM Standard for Hardness Spec for 6063 T6 Aluminum Extrusions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
U Fastening Delrin to Aluminum - Is a lock washer necessary? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Oval Spots in 6061-T651 Aluminum after Etch Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Does any friend have the Powder Coating Control for Aluminum Parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
R A way to verify 7075 T0 Aluminum has been successfully Heat Treated to T6 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A Powder Coating Chipping for Aluminum Die Casting Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
S Aluminum Castings Defects - Welding and what to Mark with Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
G Standard to use as a guide in measuring surface "roughness" of aluminum tubing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Advice for a Length Gage other than Caliper for 52"+ Aluminum Tube Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
S "Acceptable" PPM Level for Aluminum Die Casting Benchmarking 3
C Coating options for Aluminum Alloy Wheels. Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Porosity in Aluminum Bronze Cast Gear Teeth Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Certification and Testing of Raw Aluminum Stock - 7.4.3 question AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
W Aluminum Riveting - Process specification for joining aluminium sheets AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
E Would Corrosion on Aluminum be considered FOD (Foreign Object Debris)? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
H Determining if I should Test Material - Aluminum Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
L Foundry (Aluminum) Equipment Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
dsalcido Developing an Aluminum Casting Porosity Specification Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
Ron Rompen Alternatives to welding two pieces of aluminum extrusion together at a miter joint Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ron Rompen Measurement of long pieces of Aluminum extrusions Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M How clean is clean and how do you know? Small machined aluminum part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Calibration of Custom 6061 T6 Aluminum or Delrin Plastic Setup Tools?? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
ScottK Experts on Aluminum? 2024 T4 and T351 Bar Question Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P Anodized Aluminum Surface Defects - Stains, raised surfaces, imperfections Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
B Which Quality system? Company produces aluminum windows - No automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Teeth Sharpness Measurement - Broaching into a flat aluminum piece General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7