We are ISO 9001 certified - Any guide on how to acquire ISO 17025 accreditation?

M

miwriter

Hi, anyone who can guide me on the basic steps for achieving the ISO 17025 accreditation? We are now ISO 9001 certified, and our company wishes to acquire ISO 17025 accreditation soon ..can anyone help me find useful reference from which I can start with aside from the ISO standards? thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I know you spoke of other documents aside from the ISO standards. If that means you have already bought a copy, that is great. There are a variety of resources on the internet. You just have to spend some time searching. I am not familiar with a "magic bullet" document that will for free take you step by step through the whole process. That may be because it is a pretty detailed process that is probably more than could easily be put into a simple document.

The first step should definitely be to get a copy of the ISO document itself.

You can also go to some of the accreditation body websites and get copies for free of the internal audit checklist ( I know aclasscorp.com has one last time I downloaded it; not sure exactly what is available on the others). This will take some time, but you will need to go through each line of that checklist and perform a gap analysis, and begin correcting the gaps. There are a lot of detailed functions that need to be covered. One of the big ones is uncertainty budgets. This will take quite a bit of work, unless you already have them.

Another thought related to the above would be to peruse the various accreditation body websites for all of their free downloads. There are a variety of guidance documents (which can't substitute for the training needed to properly run an accredited lab facility).

The other thing I would recommend is to consider bringing in an ISO17025 consultant. I am not in that business, so this is not a commercial endorsement for anyone. First, I would get the standard and guidance documents, begin going through the audit checklist, and begin documenting and fixing the deficiencies. This will likely take at least a few months (depending how compliant your laboratory already is). I am not familiar with testing laboratory particulars, as I am involved in the calibration laboratory side.

That will make it an easier task to bring in the consultant. It will probably make his or her visit cheaper, as they will only be there to help you fine tune the work you have started, as opposed to beginning from square one (a major endeavor).

Once you pick out an accreditation body (A2LA, NVLAP, ACLASS, IAS, PJL, LAB, etc. - if in the U.S.), maybe have a phone conversation with them. They have to stay pretty neutral, but they might be able to give you some basic inputs.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Not really much to add to Jerry's excellent post. Just do recall, 17025 is kind of two parts- quality management and technical management. So you are probably in decent shape for the quality management portion. There is a gap analysis in the attachment list here that can help you with assessing your current program. If you need some help finding that attachment, let me or another moderator know or something.:agree1:

The technical portion may be where you will need to focus more of your attention. While I'm sure you have training records and such, you might need to document technical training a bit more detailed. Too, not sure if you have worked with measurement uncertainty. If you haven't, that might be some money well spent in training for you and your team.

I learned this from Hershal. The Accreditation Bodies for 17025 are slightly different. Contact them all and get quotations. They can be a lot of assistance with this also.

I know you know this already, but, well.... I'll go ahead and say it.:tg: When you add up all the costs, training costs, returning audit visits, etc., it is not inexpensive. Do assure your management understands it's going to be an investment, and will tighten up processes more so than it is currently.:agree1:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi, anyone who can guide me on the basic steps for achieving the ISO 17025 accreditation? We are now ISO 9001 certified, and our company wishes to acquire ISO 17025 accreditation soon ..can anyone help me find useful reference from which I can start with aside from the ISO standards? thank you
miwriter,

Congratulations on upgrading from certification to accreditation.

You will find the ISO 17025 assessments by A2LA (for example) more demanding than your ISO 9001 certification audits because the assessors are looking for evidence of competence per your more tightly defined scope of tests or calibrations.

Start with defining the (narrower?) scope of your first accreditation then you can focus on the actions necessary to fulfill that scope.

John

M

miwriter

I know you spoke of other documents aside from the ISO standards. If that means you have already bought a copy, that is great. There are a variety of resources on the internet. You just have to spend some time searching. I am not familiar with a "magic bullet" document that will for free take you step by step through the whole process. That may be because it is a pretty detailed process that is probably more than could easily be put into a simple document.

The first step should definitely be to get a copy of the ISO document itself.

You can also go to some of the accreditation body websites and get copies for free of the internal audit checklist ( I know aclasscorp.com has one last time I downloaded it; not sure exactly what is available on the others). This will take some time, but you will need to go through each line of that checklist and perform a gap analysis, and begin correcting the gaps. There are a lot of detailed functions that need to be covered. One of the big ones is uncertainty budgets. This will take quite a bit of work, unless you already have them.

Another thought related to the above would be to peruse the various accreditation body websites for all of their free downloads. There are a variety of guidance documents (which can't substitute for the training needed to properly run an accredited lab facility).

The other thing I would recommend is to consider bringing in an ISO17025 consultant. I am not in that business, so this is not a commercial endorsement for anyone. First, I would get the standard and guidance documents, begin going through the audit checklist, and begin documenting and fixing the deficiencies. This will likely take at least a few months (depending how compliant your laboratory already is). I am not familiar with testing laboratory particulars, as I am involved in the calibration laboratory side.

That will make it an easier task to bring in the consultant. It will probably make his or her visit cheaper, as they will only be there to help you fine tune the work you have started, as opposed to beginning from square one (a major endeavor).

Once you pick out an accreditation body (A2LA, NVLAP, ACLASS, IAS, PJL, LAB, etc. - if in the U.S.), maybe have a phone conversation with them. They have to stay pretty neutral, but they might be able to give you some basic inputs.

Thank you for your help..this information will be a good guide for me to start :)

M

miwriter

Not really much to add to Jerry's excellent post. Just do recall, 17025 is kind of two parts- quality management and technical management. So you are probably in decent shape for the quality management portion. There is a gap analysis in the attachment list here that can help you with assessing your current program. If you need some help finding that attachment, let me or another moderator know or something.:agree1:

The technical portion may be where you will need to focus more of your attention. While I'm sure you have training records and such, you might need to document technical training a bit more detailed. Too, not sure if you have worked with measurement uncertainty. If you haven't, that might be some money well spent in training for you and your team.

I learned this from Hershal. The Accreditation Bodies for 17025 are slightly different. Contact them all and get quotations. They can be a lot of assistance with this also.

I know you know this already, but, well.... I'll go ahead and say it.:tg: When you add up all the costs, training costs, returning audit visits, etc., it is not inexpensive. Do assure your management understands it's going to be an investment, and will tighten up processes more so than it is currently.:agree1:
thanks for the inputs :)

B

bazboy

Annex A of 17025 is a cross-reference of the 17025 and 9001 requirements.

Barry Quinlan
ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO Guide 65 assessor

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Some exceptionally good responses here.

The biggest single difference is the technical aspect of ISO/IEC 17025 compared to ISO9001, but there are some other differences also. One for example is the prescriptive requirements for Management Review.

As has been mentioned, a gap analysis is a good step. When ready to select an accrediting body then talk to all six ILAC signatory bodies that are based in the US before sending money to either one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Can we be ISO 9001 certified without a physical office? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Can subsidiaries use the holding company's ISO 9001 QMS and be classified as ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
F It is required that External labs be also certified to ISO 9001? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 37
M Thank you, thank you, thank you - we are ISO 9001:2015 certified! Covegratulations 8
S IATF16949:2016 certified without ISO:9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G What are steps to be followed to get ISO 9001:2015 certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Q ISO 9001 Certified but not complying with ISO clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Should I wait to get certified to ISO 9001:2015 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Which large corporations require their suppliers to be ISO 9001 certified? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
J TS 16949 Certification for 20 out of 70 ISO 9001 Certified Lines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B ISO 9001 Certified Company and acquisition of non-ISO 9001 Certified Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F QMS has not been maintained. How do we stay certified to ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
R Key Process Indicators (KPIs) for ISO 9001:2000-certified Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T If a company becomes TS 16949 certified does it still need ISO 9001 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
L Time Required to Implement ISO 27001 if ISO 9001 certified & SOX compliant? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
R Demographics - Company Size Distribution is for ISO 9001 Certified Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N ISO 9001:2008 Self Certified using "Canned" Procedures to ISO Certified by Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W ISO 9001 Certified - Active Six Sigma - What Next? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
A How Big/How Small - Size limitation on a company being ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
S Must my company be ISO 9001 certified? We're an Automotive company Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M ISO 9001 Certified Education Company - Defining the Product & Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
somashekar ISO 13485 & ISO 9001 certified with addition of site. Covegratulations 10
P Help Needed to complete audit hours under a Certified Lead Auditor - ISO 9001 General Auditing Discussions 5
B Unregistered Bulk Scrap Metal Suppliers - Do they need to be ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
P ISO 9001 certified by second party ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
J Calibration Service Suppliers must be certified to ISO 9001? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
K Is ISO 9001 necessary if ISO 13485 certified? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
T Already ISO 9001 Certified - What happens when we get ISO 13485 registered? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Purchasing from non ISO 9001 certified suppliers through a certified one. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Acquisition (Merger) of an ISO certified to ISO 9001:2000 company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J List of ISO 9001, AS9100 and TS 16949 certified companies in India Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
chris1price List of ISO 9001 Registered (Certified) Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Listing of ISO 9001 Certified (Registered) Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Registration Mark Controls - 'ISO 9001:2000 Certified and CB/AB Logo' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A My Company wants to Implement ISO 9001-2000 and become Certified - The Big Start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
G Outsourcing Sales & Service of Products of an ISO 9001 Certified Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Trying to develop ISO 9001 training for a newly certified company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Who is the Customer for an ISO 9001 Certified Soccer Club? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
O Do we need ISO 9001 certification if we get AS9100b certified? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Are ISO 9001 certified companies required to use ISO17025 facilities for calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
Sean Kelley Do our scrap brokers need to be certified to ISO 9001:2000 if we are TS certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J No Management Representative? Losing money ever since they became ISO 9001 certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Sidney Vianna Another ethical breach for an ISO 9001 certified company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
I Can a small design and six sigma consulting company be ISO 9001 certified? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M AQP Format - Distributor with two ISO 9001 certified locations APQP and PPAP 10