"We don't have enough resources" as an Audit Non-conformance Response

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I was taught during my ISO training that a response from an auditee that "we don't have the resources" to complete a quality related is in itself a non-conformance related to Resourcing and Planning for the QMS.

Any input on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Obviously, a resource deficit (of any kind) could happen AFTER the planning took place, so that is a myth. Nevertheless, 7.1.1 of 9001:2015 establishes the organization has to identify and PROVIDE the needed resources for the effective operation of the quality system.

Not having resources required by a standard where compliance is claimed, is an NC which is what I believe you mean?

But it is ok for a manufacturer to state they don't have resources for anything they haven't claimed compliance with, but as this is an ISO audit, I don't think this is what you mean?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
What I mean is that part of the standard includes leadership providing the resources to support the Quality Management System, but what I'm running into is people who are already very busy saying "we just don't have time" to do specific tasks that are required (like tracking training records etc.) -- if your organization is failing to perform tasks related to the QMS and the excuse is that they don't have resources, one possible NC is against "resourcing"

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
What I mean is that part of the standard includes leadership providing the resources to support the Quality Management System, but what I'm running into is people who are already very busy saying "we just don't have time" to do specific tasks that are required (like tracking training records etc.) -- if your organization is failing to perform tasks related to the QMS and the excuse is that they don't have resources, one possible NC is against "resourcing"
I wouldn't reach that conclusion. It really doesn't show a lack of resources, in my opinion.

My questions would be the following:

1. Does the organization maintain records to show objective evidence of training? Are they adequate?
2. Is this really affecting the organization from fulfilling managing the Quality Management System?
3. Are lacking these resources causing complaints from the Customer(s)?
4. Are internal audits being performed? Was this identified in an Internal Audit?
5. Are these lack of resources causing the product or service to be affected?

These would just be some of the question I would ask, in my opinion.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
While this can be true, many times the :
"we just don't have time" to do specific tasks that are required (like tracking training records etc.)
is indeed a red flag.

Either they have not looked at the way they perform their tasks to determine if it is the most effective and efficient way or the issue has not been brought up to to top management. After all resourcing is a top management item.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I wouldn't reach that conclusion. It really doesn't show a lack of resources, in my opinion.

My questions would be the following:

1. Does the organization maintain records to show objective evidence of training? Are they adequate?
2. Is this really affecting the organization from fulfilling managing the Quality Management System?
3. Are lacking these resources causing complaints from the Customer(s)?
4. Are internal audits being performed? Was this identified in an Internal Audit?
5. Are these lack of resources causing the product or service to be affected?

These would just be some of the question I would ask, in my opinion.

Yes to most of them; it was identified in internal and external ISO audits. It's a requirement of the QMS so if you're not keeping training records you're already at fault so by definition you're not fulfilling the QMS.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
One of the hallmarks of poor management is the existence of conflicting priorities for people. Oftentimes people are put in "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situations, which causes them to have to choose which blow to the head will be the least painful. It doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't enough people; it could be that people are trying to satisfy unnecessary or unreasonable requirements. It's a problem that can be solved only at the top level of management.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Yes to most of them; it was identified in internal and external ISO audits. It's a requirement of the QMS so if you're not keeping training records you're already at fault so by definition you're not fulfilling the QMS.
But, is that really objective evidence that there is a lack of resources? Not maintaining training records would fall out of the requirements of ISO, but I didn't see that was identified as the NC. The NC was written against resources, I believe that it was I saw in your post.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J We don't have enough Corrective action entries AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J WAIVED ON Q1 - We Don't have to comply with FORDS customer specific requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Records - Do's and don't' of record entries (FDA - 21 CFR 820) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
F What to do when you don't meet the 1:10 ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
MDD_QNA Accessory or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
D PPAP a Rebranded Purchased Product (we don't manufacture) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Importing prototype without CE (dos and don'ts ) EU Medical Device Regulations 11
H Embedded Software - I don't understand that Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
L Nonconformity's risk is too low, so don't report it? General Auditing Discussions 25
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
M A non-religious country, where you don't drink? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
Jim Wynne Don't Pay the Ransom Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
AnaMariaVR2 Warning ? Don?t Confuse ?Made In USA? And ?Inspected By FDA? With Patriotism US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
AnaMariaVR2 DIY Fixes Don't Meet CGMP: FDA Slams Manufacturer for Fixes Involving Tape, Rubber Ba Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Stijloor American airports don't rank very well. Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 13
S Don't Forget Canadian Provincial Electrical Code Requirements Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
R EU-countries which don't accept English user manuals and require national translation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
B You don't need to know the distribution in order to apply SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
1 I don?t have any experience with ISO 9001 - Help Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
Wes Bucey Passing on slick roads - DON'T! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
BradM The Great Soul Train Conductor Don Cornelius-Dead World News 4
G ISO 17025 - Don't think we need a Sampling Plan... Or do we? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
H ISO 9001 Section 7 when you don't manufacture anything? Service Industry Specific Topics 6
S Some departments don't have Quality Objectives - Non Conformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 68
A "Do's" and "Don'ts" of auditing a former employer General Auditing Discussions 12
Wes Bucey Job recovery? or "statistics don't lie, people do" Career and Occupation Discussions 37
C Old QMS... NEW QM.. I don't know where to start Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 57
Wes Bucey "Making the case" & Networking - Do's & Don't's Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M How do I prove I don't receive a controlled product? Ractopamine Hydrochloride Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S ISO 9001 prohibits auditors auditing their 'own work' while other standards don't? Internal Auditing 59
M Suggestion System - Do's & Don'ts as well as Rewards System Manufacturing and Related Processes 29
BradM Just pretend you don't know about computers Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R Definition Basic Dimensions - What are basic dimensions? Why don't they have tolerances? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
J Control of Product Drawings - Engineers don't follow the same protocol ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S Normal distribution - I have a series of data but I don?t know the distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
Z Don't quite understand interpretation of ISO17025: 2005 clause 1.4 and 1.2 ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
Wes Bucey It's Friday - don't stop the job hunt! Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Wes Bucey Don't be a victim - High-level executive jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 2
ScottK The Management Representative cares about the QMS so you don't have to Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
V Can I apply for AS9100 Straight Away? (We don't have any ISO certificates) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P The reason why Small-to Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) don't use Six Sigma Six Sigma 19
S Granite Surface Plates - Maintenance, DOs and DON'Ts Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
V IMO our people don't need to read manuals or procedures and document changes to them Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 60
V IQA Audit Nonconformance - Documented requirements don't reflect current practice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8