We have no customers!

Q

Quality Doc

I've joined a high tech start-up firm. The founders and the Board of Directors want to create all the necessary systems and processes to bring quality products to market right now, even before we have our first product ready to sell and before we have even a single customer. ISO 9000:2000 or bust!

Can it be done? Can we be registered before we have a product or a customer?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
You have internal customers, and yes you can do it.

Welcome to the COVE:bigwave:

BTW..Are you located in Carlsbad?

Last edited:
A

Al Dyer

I think it is the optimum time to set up the process need for compliance. There will probably be little need for culture changes, you are small enough to set a a really good group to comply with ISO.

As to registration, I believe you will need at least 1 customer as there are requirements concerning measurables, customer satisfaction, deliver etc.... These can be filled in quickly once a customer is determined and you know their requirements.

A quick search here should give you volumes of ideas about manuals, procedures, instruction, methods etc...

Good luck and keep posting.

MHO

An additional thought

As Randy said, welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

One additional thought. Set up you system based on what customers usually require in your field. I'm certain the bosses went through some planning and thinking to determine what they want to make and sell. This thought process may be a good start.

One additional additional thought would be to make sure your system has the flexibiltiy to adapt to customer requirements once you get some.

One last thing...not a thought a thing. Keep us informed with your progress!

A

Anton Ovsianko

I totally agree with Al: It is probably a perfect moment to try to do everything in the right way. You have a blank page, from which you can start designing your quality management system. You can enjoy theory from books, practice from your coleagues (for instance in this forum).

Absence of customers should not be a problem. Just think: when you started the business you most probably were focused at the needs of certain potential customers, from whom you expected to get your profits. Just use these needs (even if they are imaginary) as a focus of your QMS. In case you were mistaken defining these needs, you shall have special provisions for learning your customers complying for instance to Clauses 5.2 and 7.2 of 9k2k.

This is how I see it. It might actually be even easier than restructuring existing processes with their advantages and disadvantages.

Anton

M

M Greenaway

I would have thought that registration would be difficult due to the fact that you cannot demonstrate your system working. Also how could you be customer focussed without having any customers to gain feedback from ?

Randy

Super Moderator
I would have thought that registration would be difficult due to the fact that you cannot demonstrate your system working. Also how could you be customer focussed without having any customers to gain feedback from ?
You're staying inside the box. The standard, as I see it, only requires the mechanism to be in place. It doesn't require that you actually have customers.;)

M

M Greenaway

Randy

We now have to demonstrate effectiveness, how would we do that without some form of data showing the QMS working ? and how would we obtain such meaningful data without servicing proper customers ?

I thought ISO9001 was moving away from being purely a documentation exercise - maybe I am wrong, I havent been through the upgrade process yet.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Doc,

Welcome to the Cove. The way I see it, there is no 100% agreement here, and it is not a cut and dried case IMO. I say you have two choices: Contact the registrar you want to work with, or several you may want to work with, and ask the question. If one or more say it is okay to, for example, just count internal customers, then you have your answer and a way to get certified.

If they all say it can't be done until you have "real" customers, you have two options: Complete all other sections of the 9000-2000 QMS and wait until you have some "real" i.e. external customers to finish it and then go for the certificate or else forget official resistration and use 9000-2000 (or 9004-2000 or whatever QMS you want) the best way you can for your company as it is now and reap the benefits regardless of certification status.

Randy

Super Moderator
We now have to demonstrate effectiveness, how would we do that without some form of data showing the QMS working ? and how would we obtain such meaningful data without servicing proper customers ?
How do you verify that emergency planning works when you are implementing and EMS? Simulate an emergency, that's how. Test the system!!

Do the same with a theoretical customer base for initially testing portions of your QMS. Come up with some scenarios, document them and the solutions to issues and test what you have in place.

This isn't rocket science.....Been there, done that.

Let's give the guy a break, he's only a PhD. :bonk:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
NDesouza When Customers Make Changes to Orders Contract Review Process 24
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Returned product due to Customers fault, is it a Non-Conformance? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001 audits from the perspective of registrants' customers - an interesting paper Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
S How to collect complaint data from customers Customer Complaints 24
A CE Mark PPE Category III for our customers residing in the EU CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Ed Panek Requirement to track and trend positive feedback from customers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
R Medical Device (IVD) - Selling RUO to Customers EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Restricting scope of AS9100 certification to a couple of customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Concessions - ISO 13485:2016 requires concession approval from customers Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
C Record retention for defunct customers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Can a foreign manufacturer sell directly to US customers? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
D AS9100D 7.3 Awareness of customers quality policies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
A Special Procedures for Non Aerospace Customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R AS9100 FAI - First Article Inspection to a prior Customers PO AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
B TS16949 Section 8.2.2.3 Product Audit - Requirements for various Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Crimpshrine13 IATF 16949 Audits to include Processes and Products from Non Subscribing Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
N Do you make exceptions to your process for customers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K ISO 9001:2015 Section 8.5.3 - Property belonging to customers or external providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Does AS9120 (aerospace first article inspection) apply to all customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Dual Lot Manufacturing requirements for Clinical Customers Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) examples wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
J Potential Customers Asking for EIRs / 483s when evaluating a CRO for future work US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Survey to Customers Regarding Our Complaint Response Time Customer Complaints 7
B Creation of CAD solid models using customers supplied drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level) by GM - CB notified. What about other customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E How do you monitor Medical Device Off-Label use by Customers & Medical Professionals EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Notification to Customers regarding Major Audit Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
C Clause 7.2 with no customers (yet) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T IMDS - MDS request for parts supplied to multiple customers RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 15
T Are Customers required to follow a Manufacturers Maintenance Schedule? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L PPAP Approval Woes - Getting signed PSW's back from Customers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
R LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Can we be both TS16949 for Automotive Customers and ISO 9001 for other Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K ISO 9001 vs. ISO 13485 Registration - Approximately 1/3 of our customers are medical ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Supplier Quality Questionnaire - Asking who our customers are Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
Q Internal Laboratory Services - Selling Services to "Outside" Customers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S How to incorporate a customers special inspection frequency in our control plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
S Why do customers refuse to accept no-quotes? Manufacturing and Related Processes 25
J Do any of you send the whole CQI-9 System Assessment to your Customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
quality1 Charging Customers for REACH Documentation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8