We need a QMS: file-based templates or software

bob44

Starting to get Involved
We are a pre-revenue medical device, US-based company with about 6 months to go till finishing pivotal clinical study for eventual PMA submission.
We assume we will be bought out by a bigger fish before we have to commercialize the device.

We need a QMS and are struggling with buying Word/Excel file-based templates for < $1K or spending > $2.5K for software/web based system.

Any suggestions from those who may know better than our guessing?

TIA!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
We are a pre-revenue medical device, US-based company with about 6 months to go till finishing pivotal clinical study for eventual PMA submission.
We assume we will be bought out by a bigger fish before we have to commercialize the device.

We need a QMS and are struggling with buying Word/Excel file-based templates for < $1K or spending > $2.5K for software/web based system.

Any suggestions from those who may know better than our guessing?

TIA!
The canned documents that I've seen are not any good. You'd be better off developing your own.

bob44

Starting to get Involved
Al,
So what to use as a guide/help to "develop your own" advice?
No one has any experience with QMS in our group.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Al,
My opinion is to hire someone in the medical device industry as a consultant to help you make wise decisions and guide you.

You say
is a pretty scary thought. Getting an experienced consultant in the medical device industry could cost a bit, but long term could not only save you money but also be important to the success of your company.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Al,
I am in agreement with Marc 100%. You need someone with experience to help develop your system and train your group.

bob44

Starting to get Involved
We do have paid consultants to assist with content but for the type of system we are constructing: file-based or "cloud/software" based?

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree with everything said about getting someone to help you. When you say "file-based," I'll assume you mean paper-based. Definitely go with paper. It is able be changed easily and you won't have to deal with software validation. Paper is way cheaper. The paper system will also force you to understand quality system requirements. In my opinion, people who don't understand quality system requirements won't be able to put good information into the software system. It has the potential to be a big mess.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Personally I wouldn't put anything into the cloud, but that's me. I would think your consultant would give you appropriate guidance for your specific situation/scenario. Obviously they are not. That makes me question your consultant(s) capability, or whether your contract is so bare that it's not part of their responsibilities.

To me this is also pretty scary:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
W EU GDPR General Data Protection Regulation - What we need to update for our QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M Need help on QMS Development in an AS9100C certified organization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
D Need advice in streamlining antiquated 21 CFR 820 compliant QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
C How long does AS9100 QMS need to be in place before the Audit? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
F Who and how many Approvers do I need for QMS Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L Do I need a QMS and what do I need to ensure my QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Need to Train Management for Management buy-in for the QMS Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
T How to determine the correct QMS I need Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C What does the average employee need to know about the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
P Does your finance department need QMS documentation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D No Changes in the QMS since last audit - Need to Re-audit for coming Surveillance? Internal Auditing 17
T Distribution of documents on an internet based QMS - I need to vent!!! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
A Need help with creating useful, interesting and good internal web site about QMS!!! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
J New to TS 16949... "Shalls" do not need to be addressed in the QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S QMS Implementation - Weird Situation - Need Suggstions Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
D Do I need metrics (or numbers) assigned to every QMS process I have identified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Need brief and clear description of ISO 9001 QMS quality standard - Student report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
atitheya Need of conducting medical trials in European Union EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1