We Passed Our TS 16949 Audit!

R

Randy Lefferts

Just wanted to thank members of the Cove...

We were recommended for certification to TS-2 last month dependent upon closing a few nonconformances. Our registrar accepted the action plans and we have only to wait for our certificate to arrive. :thedeal:

Just wanted to take a minute and thank all the cove inhabitants, those that have answered the questions I have put forth, those that have answered others questions, and those that have asked the very questions I came to ask, but did so before I could. I haven't posted much but read a lot and most of questions are answered before I need to ask them.

So thank you all! :bigwave:

Now, to go prepare for 2005's TS-3. :bonk:

JUST KIDDING!! hehe

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Congrats!

Now, you can use that experience to help the rest of us. :agree:

BTW, how far north is Northern Michigan?

R

Randy Lefferts

You bet db....

I would try to answer any questions that anyone has about the experience. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to share our experience.

Just a note, the standard is like the bible. It's meaning is dependent upon the interpretation of the reader. (And no, am not trying to stir anyone up, just that it sure seems to be about the same thing.) Who is to say which interpretation is "correct?"

As far as how far north Northern Michigan is, well, am darn near the U.P. I live in Boyne City, an hour or so north of Traverse City, about 45 mins south of the Mack. Bridge. Beautiful country up here and yes, we make car parts ;)

Randy Lefferts said:
I would try to answer any questions that anyone has about the experience. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to share our experience.

Just a note, the standard is like the bible. It's meaning is dependent upon the interpretation of the reader. (And no, am not trying to stir anyone up, just that it sure seems to be about the same thing.) Who is to say which interpretation is "correct?"

As far as how far north Northern Michigan is, well, am darn near the U.P. I live in Boyne City, an hour or so north of Traverse City, about 45 mins south of the Mack. Bridge. Beautiful country up here and yes, we make car parts ;)
Know just wherre that is. I've got family in East Jordan and TC. The wife is from Atlanta (MI), and my folks own a campground near Alpena. Wrong side of the state, but still north of M-55 (that's where "up north" begins)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Interpretation of the Standard as it Applies to You - A Key

Randy Lefferts said:
How about a brief spiel about the experience including any questions you can remember that they asked?
As it was with QS, as it has become more so in ISO9K:2000, and is the reason for these forums to begin with. I have told clients for years that they have to be ready to present, discuss (think debate), and stand behind, their interpretation of the standard.

Congrats!

G

galcantar

I aggreed with Marc comments, a brief - general explanation of your experience can help others ( with same direction as me) to pass sucessfully through this VIA CRUCIS..

T

tattva

Questions?

R U a design responsible? How did you manage with 7.3? What are they looking for the most? I´ve heard it´s PDCA in every single process you´ve stablished in the process interaction matrix. Is it very diferent from those regarding QS? Did you recieve NC´s ? Where? ´Who´s your CB?

I´ve much more but I think these will clear my mind out!
At least for now!

Thanks and CONGRATULATIONS!

Billy

R

Randy Lefferts

Marc said:
How about a brief spiel about the experience including any questions you can remember that they asked?
Well, let's see...am fairly busy today so will be back later/tomorrow with things I don't get to mention.

We had 3 auditors for 3 days. Each auditor, of course, interpreted things a bit differently which made for an interesting time.

Since they audit by process, they all ended up auditing the same areas (i.e. doc cntl, rcd ctl, etc ) at one time or other, which brings their unique interpretation into play. One auditor felt we did a great job with our quality manual, another felt we had the worst quality manual he had seen. :bonk:

Inputs/outputs were hit hard. They were looking for the "physical" inputs/outputs of a process. For example, an output of your Final Inspection process is not "Reduced PPM or Reduced Customer Issues" or the like, it would be "Approved Product" or "Rejected Product". Something they could "touch", so to speak.

Process effectiveness was hit on fairly hard. How do you determine that your process is effective. (As well as efficiency. You have measurables to show whether you are efficient at a process as well)

Process approach auditing is a necessity. We used the MSA checklists, modified to include our process owners, where appropriate, and audited as a team. However, they disapproved of the checklists. In the end, we received a nonconformance for how we audited internally, so we revised our method to mimic the auditors, performed several audits and submitted that with our action plan. Basically, they don't like you to audit using the checklists and as a matter of fact, they informed us that they could no longer use them on audits. Basically, audit the process and how it is supposed to work, whether everything is happening as it is supposed to happen, whether the process is generating the desired outputs and whether or not the process is effective. This will bounce you around to several areas, most of the time and you end up auditing quite a bit, but it actually seems easier.

Will post more tomorrow, off to answer Tattva :)

R

Randy Lefferts

Well, they try to convince us we are design responsible but the fact is, we do not do design at our location. We have a corporate location that is a design facility and they design for all the locations in the group.

We can not actually be certified until they are and this wasn't an issue since they were TS-2 certified about 5 months ago. However, the IAOB has reinterpreted the standard and now the design center has to be re-audited.

We will probably receive our certification at the beginning of the year.

The approach to auditing is different than the way it was done with QS. Not sure, but to me, that was the biggest change.

See prior message for the nc's. We also received one for communication process not being in place, even though it was. It was an easy fix so we didn't argue too heavily.

I had thought that according to the standard, there were only 7 procedures required to be documented; Internal Nonconformance, Preventive Action, Corrective Action, Training, Record Control, Document Control and Internal Auditing. Ford has a couple to add, bringing the total to 9.

This requirement in 4.2.2 changes that, according to the cb. You are required to have a documented procedure for every support process, according to their interpretation...

The organization shall establish and maintain.....
a) ......
b) the documented procedures established for the quality management system, or reference to them.....
c).....

This supposedly requires us to document "everything", bringing us back to QS requirements. Since we hadn't removed any procedures, we were ok but we do intend to to wage this battle at a later time.

Well, off to a meeting..... :bigwave:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Randy Lefferts said:
Well, they try to convince us we are design responsible but the fact is, we do not do design at our location. We have a corporate location that is a design facility and they design for all the locations in the group.
I'm seldom surprised by the things auditors do or say, but this interpretation that you are design responsible disturbs me greatly.

In my opinion, a strong case could be made that your facility was like a contract manufacturer, making products to someone else's design specifications, with no design authority of your own. The fact that you are corporately linked to the other location is immaterial if no one at your location has input into the design.

If however, bosses at your facility have authority over designers at a different location, even if those designers are third party independent contractors, the auditors have a valid point.

I hope you will keep us updated on this aspect.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Success! We passed our TS 16949 Certification Audit yesterday! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
P TS 16949 Audit - Stage 1 passed! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
P We Passed Our TS 16949 Audit! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
T We Passed Our TS 16949:2002 Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A We passed our ISO TS 16949 initial certification Covegratulations 3
P Just passed TS 16949 Stage 1 Assessment yesterday IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Passed TS 16949 Stage 1 Readiness Review! Happy Dance! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A Visual acuity test - Product to have passed a jaeger test Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
A Passed the AATT Exam - What come comes next? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Passed ASQ Certified Quality Process Analyst Exam! What next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
N We Passed Our ISO 13485:2003 Certification! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
N Passed ISO 9001:2008 Certification Audit Covegratulations 9
J My Dear Wife has passed away Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
1 A New Job - Replaced a QM who passed away - BIG Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
S Passed the Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Passed CQE in the first attempt!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Ajit Basrur Indian Medical Device Regulation may be passed by this Aug 2011 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
C We Passed our AS9100 Registration Audit!! Covegratulations 7
D ISO 13485 reassessment - passed with only one OFI Covegratulations 11
S Seek advice from someone that passed through NADCAP AC7102 and AC7101/3 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
T Passed our registration audit - Well we did it!!!!!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
D ISO 13485 reassessment audit and passed with no NCs and 2 OFIs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
C Passed the CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) exam 1st time Professional Certifications and Degrees 23
A Passed ASQ CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam! Professional Certifications and Degrees 21
J Passed ASQ CQA. Next ASQ CQT Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
G I passed the ASQ-CQA (Certified Quality Auditor) exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 12
D We passed our AS9100 audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
M I passed the CQE exam this month - What certification next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 10
C ASQ 06/03/2006 SSGB Exam Results - I passed! Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
C We passed ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
K We Passed Our Ts16949 Phase 1 Readiness Review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P We passed our ISO9001 and ISO/TS16949:2002 renewal December 2005 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Ethics - Tooling drawings and controls passed on to another supplier by the Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
N MDD and LVD compliant - Device that passed the safety tests of 601-1 and 335-1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Passed AS9100 certification audit! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M We Passed our AS9100 registration audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
D We passed our transition audit with only two minor nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Passing CQA Exam - Passed on first attempt? Second? A Poll General Auditing Discussions 22
S We just Passed our ISO 14001 Stage 2 Audit! Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 17
F Maintenance Audit Passed General Auditing Discussions 12
A QS-9000 Registration Audit Results - We Passed QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
A WE DID IT! Passed the muster of a QS9000 Certification Audit QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
R Dorian Shainin passed away on Friday, January 7, 2000 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3