Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Has anybody here ever tried to audit their CB and/or issue their CB a nonconformance?
Wouldn’t it be much more fitting to file a complaint with the CB and the respective AB (or Competent Authority in the case of a NB) instead?

Auditing a CB after you hire them does not seem to add much value, especially if you don’t have any people with knowledge related to the operations of a CB and standards such as ISO 17021-1But I have suggested, in the past that people should assess/visit CB offices before they engage with them. People would be surprised how some CB’s operate. Negatively surprised, that is.

Wouldn’t it be much more fitting to file a complaint with the CB and the respective AB (or Competent Authority in the case of a NB) instead?

Auditing a CB after you hire them does not seem to add much value, especially if you don’t have any people with knowledge related to the operations of a CB and standards such as ISO 17021-1But I have suggested, in the past that people should assess/visit CB offices before they engage with them. People would be surprised how some CB’s operate. Negatively surprised, that is.
I'm not sure if filing a complaint would be more fitting. Other suppliers get nonconformances. If a CB provides nonconforming services (for example, the audit report and/or findings don't meet 17021-1 requirements), is there any reason why a nonconformance would be inappropriate?

I don't think I would actually issue a nonconformance to a CB, no matter how badly they nonconform (unless I was willing to burn all bridges with that CB and move on to a different CB), because I think retribution is a more likely outcome than improvement on their part. I'm curious if anyone has tried to issue their CB a nonconformance and how it worked out.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure if filing a complaint would be more fitting. Other suppliers get nonconformances. If a CB provides nonconforming services (for example, the audit report and/or findings don't meet 17021-1 requirements), is there any reason why a nonconformance would be inappropriate?
What is the difference between a nonconformance and a complaint, in practical terms? How differently you would expect the CB to react if they received one or the other?

As for treating CB's as suppliers, remember: they are, without a question, providing you with a service, but there is a reason why they are referred to as THIRD-PARTY. Even though they are a supplier of services to the registrants, they have to keep other stakeholders interests in the forefront of what they do and cannot compromise aspects of their audits in order to please the paying customers.

M.R.Falco

Starting to get Involved
Well, it's now approaching the end of May and the situation I originally posted about has not really improved. We have received only a secondary certificate out of the two we originally paid for and they have stopped responding to my written communications. Our lead auditor and client representative have both quit the NB's employment. We've gotten only limited communications from them, and only in relation to additional bills for these services that we have now refused to pay until they complete our project. (Apparently not paying them is a good way to get their attention?)

I've filed a complaint with their certifying body with a full, detailed list of my numerous attempts to contact them, to file a complaint, and of the many instances of poor service that have occurred in the intervening 10 months.

I fear it may be time to look for a new NB at this point. Our EC Rep is in the UK so we might have to update our product packaging and labeling in the future anyway. Now is as good a time as any right? There is the temptation to think "Well if I just give them another week, surely they'll get it done by then!" but it has been so long now that it's not really justifiable anymore!

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. Hopefully we get a resolution soon here.

Mikey324

Involved In Discussions
I believe it is time to look for a new service provider. It would appear they cant supply you with what you have paid for. A CB is no different than any other supplier. You wouldn't stay with a part supplier that could only supply half of the part numbers you order.

Top Bottom