WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and Diabetes Consumables

S

Steeev

After a bit of help here please. I have a diabetes pump that contains a rechargeable battery (WEEE). I also have a consumable cartridge that is used for insulin. This has a circuit board with one very small chip on it. other than that it's plastic. The cartridge cannot work without the pump. The infusion needle is separate and not part of this system.

So the question is - is the empty, unused insulin cartridge WEEE or can it be disposed of as general waste?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: WEEE and diabetes consumables

EEE is defined as:
equipment which is dependent on electric currents or electromagnetic
fields in order to work properly
I suspect that the cartridge won't function without the chip, therefore it should be considered EEE.

I cannot see any exemption from the directive, except maybe from Aug 2018, when if it is "infective" at the end of it's life article 2(4)(g) provides an exclusion....I doubt a cartridge would be infective, but you will be in a better position to answer that

S

Steeev

Re: WEEE and diabetes consumables

Thanks for the quick reply pkost - what I suspected.

Is there a boundary where something becomes WEEE though i.e. a circuit board used as an earth plane only? Or is it more cut and dried that if it contains a PCB its WEEE?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Directive & Use of Symbols EU Medical Device Regulations 17
I Medical Devices and the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Directive ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marc Definition WEEE - Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Q EU Rep for Packaging waste, WEEE and Battery disposal CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Q Does CE Marking include compliance to WEEE and packaging waste? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T New to WEEE Directive - Selling a medical device directly to a professional end-user RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
F WEEE Requirements - Medical Devices / IVDs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
B WEEE requirements if I sell devices outside the EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
M Are disposable electrodes in the scope of WEEE Directive? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Confirming IVD exemption from WEEE Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Does Australia/New Zealand require RoHS, WEEE, REACH and EMC? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
A EU vs. Canada Electronics Recycling (WEEE) Plan Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
W RoHS and WEEE Responsibilities in a Company RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
L Component Manufacturers & WEEE compliance - What is your practice? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
R Do RoHS and WEEE require CE Marking? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
M RoHs and Weee Requirements for a planned market launch in 2010 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ajit Basrur Amendments in RoHS and WEEE Directives (3rd Dec 08) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
Manix WEEE and the confusion surrounding whether we fall into the scope of the directive! Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
G WEEE Directive-2002/96/EC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
C European Union Environmental Product Directives ELV, WEEE/ RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 26
M Scrap metric/ Waste metric Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
T Waste Disposal - Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
B Definition Waste - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
K Colour Code Requirements for Waste Bins/Bags Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
somashekar Applying legal requirements in hazardous waste management. Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
R Mobile Auto Valeting Services - Waste Disposal (Environmental Perspective) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Raffy Plastics Biodegradability Testing for Waste Materials Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
I Environmental - Office Recycling and Waste Management Programme and Objectives Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S Disaster Management for a Waste Management Firm Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
A ISO 14001 & Waste Packaging Regulations - Printing Plate Production Company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
B Reusing paper of Obsolete Documents to Control Waste Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
N Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) Determination in Industrial Waste Water General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Microbiological Laboratory Waste Disposal Procedure(s) do you follow? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N EtO Sterilization Process Waste Treatment System Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
N Customer Waste Management Responsibility - Packing Materials & Conservation Oil? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
B Are Medical Equipment repair cleaning materials hazardous waste? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 47
somashekar Hazardous Waste: Is this an appropriate interpretation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
somashekar Waste Categorization - Medical Device (Disposable Sensor) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
somashekar The Plasma Thermal Destruction and Recovery (PTDR) Waste-to-Energy Technology Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
G Specific location where Hazardous Waste Labels need to be placed RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
somashekar DRAFT: The E waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2010, Govt of India Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
S Guidelines for Effective Solid Waste Disposal - Questions Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6