Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Week 2 Discussion - What is Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is a question that has perplexed many for many years, and perhaps there is no "right" answer. But, please provide in this week's discussion your personal definition of "quality".

M

Mary Davenport

What is quality

There really is no clear definition for quality, it means something different to everyone. Among other explanations, Webster defines it as "superiority of kind." I understand that to mean that each task is performed to a high standard to produce a consistently reliable product. Whether the product is a good or service I see quality as a sign that something can be relied upon.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mary Davenport said:
There really is no clear definition for quality, it means something different to everyone. Among other explanations, Webster defines it as "superiority of kind." I understand that to mean that each task is performed to a high standard to produce a consistently reliable product. Whether the product is a good or service I see quality as a sign that something can be relied upon.
True, there is no "Clear" or "True" definitions for quality. As you consider this question though, what does quality mean to you personally in your purchasing decisions? And can that be extended to a business definition?

R

ralphsulser

Well yes, but: Fit for use of intended function, at a reasonable cost.
Superior quality can be attained, and you expect superior at a high cost.
Why pay for a Rolls Royce if you only need, and want the attributes of a Chevrolet Impala. You can expect good quality and relaibility at a more reasonable cost. Value for your dollar. Isn't this why we shop for the best deal?

G

GoKats78

I'll agree with that - That's why our company's quality policy states that "Quality is defined by the customer". If they want an Impala they'll get an Impala, if they defined their needs as a Rolls Royce we will provide that too! :lmao:

J

jlowens

GoKats78 said:
How about these three:
Form
Fit
Function
I believe that "fitness for use" is one definition of quality. The statement you used is one used by Dr. Joseph Juran. Dr. Deming talks about quality not meaning perfection but simply efficient quality that the market or customer expects. I tend to go with this one. To me this means that a customer need is met.That's it!

S

ssagreen

words on quality

When I think of quality I think of:
  • lasting value
  • well built or well made
  • reliable
  • durable
  • do not question if it will perform function. It will because of its design and qualities.
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom