Week 2 Discussion - What is Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
gpainter said:
Quality is what the Customer says it is.
That may work for custom products, but what if you are bringing a completely new product to market for the first time? Wouldn't you have to set a Quality level BEFORE your customers have a chance to decide? (By buying or not buying your product.)
Therefore, you may have to do some gymnastics, such as test marketing to determine what the target market will accept as Quality.

gpainter

Wes, exactly. If you bring something new in then as a part of the marketing/design plan. You will have to determine your target Customers and their wants and needs as far as product and quality.

Z

zdjones

Quality is what we make it

:applause: everyone has listed very important thoughts about what quality is and I see their perspectives. quality is a choice. quality is more than merely meeting a set of standards once in every 20 times or every 4 times. it is about being consistently persistent when schedules are rearing their ugly head and someone is forced to make a decision on what's more important, meeting a milestone on schedule or taking the extra time it takes to make sure standards are being adhered to. Basically, you take ownership of quality. You must make a personal commitment to uphold it and not put it away when its convenient to the process.

M

mark child

Quality?

I had an interesting conversation the other day with a podiatrist friend of mine that is obsessed with finding quality in everything that he buys. Automobiles, homes, and clothes are always topics of discussion with him. Imagine my suprise when he said that he wants to buy a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
Americans, in their quest to produce the most reliable vehicles, continue to celebrate these poor quality bikes as an icon of America. Did I miss something here? If we are trying to attain great quality in U.S. manufacturing why do we idolize, at ludicrous prices, poor quality.

Quality

Quality is
1) Organization profitibility,
2) Customer satisfaction
3) Social responsibility (up to the most current knowledge)

In the comercial world, a sucessfull supplier must consider (1+2+3), they are all important.
Let me explain more on (3), some time customer, esp. end user, may overlook some environmental or health concerns. As a supplier, we need to have pre-caution to minimize those environmental and healthy impacts from the best of our knowledge.

Wes Bucey

Just in reference to Harley:
Some buyers (especially Harley) have different criteria for "Quality" which may include image, nostalgia, fantasy and those often overshadow price and mechanical perfection in their decision to purchase.

Point of the comment:
Therefore, you can't assume EVERY buyer has the same Quality criteria in mind when making a purchase.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
My Favorite Definition of "Quality"

Steve Prevette said:
This is a question that has perplexed many for many years, and perhaps there is no "right" answer. But, please provide in this week's discussion your personal definition of "quality".
I believe this comes from Stanley Marcus of Neiman-Marcus fame: Quality is selling products that don't come back to customers who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
Q Audit 1 week away and no agenda from auditor yet IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Marc A Four Day Work Week - Reuters - Dec 2018 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
S Design changes a week after regulatory submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 21
E Irritation test - Dermal Filler - 52-week implantation study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Marc Adventures in Design Quality Assurance - Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays World News 0
W DCMA and AS9100C - Dedicating a week and 5 auditors to perform a AS9100C audit AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
B Anyone Attending OTC next week in Houston? (Offshore Technology Confernce) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
Hershal This week in the High Desert Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
R Two Week Notice Backlash Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Mikishots What a week - 15 November 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Claes Gefvenberg IMS (Integrated Management System) Audited for a week... Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
B The Case for a 25-Hour Work Week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Q Last work week due to immigration process, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Immigration and Expatriate Topics 7
P Suggestions for Europe in a Week - By Car Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
chris1price The final version of the RoHS2 recast was published last week as 2011/65/EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
S World Quality Week - PRI Articles AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T It is Audit Week... August 2010 General Auditing Discussions 31
BradM NCSLI this upcoming week! Who will be there? July 2010 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
somashekar Information sharing: Week 27, 2010 (HEAT TREATMENT) The Reading Room 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 24, 2010 (INDUCTION MOTOR) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (HARDNESS, THREADS, BEARINGS) The Reading Room 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (TPM, OEE) The Reading Room 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (PAPER SIZES) The Reading Room 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (COMPUTER TERMS, NUMBER SYSTEM AND DIGITAL) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (CAPACITORS, TRANSFORMERS, RELAYS) The Reading Room 2
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (LEADACID BATTERY AND 12V ELECTRICAL SYSTEM) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (MOTORS, MACHINES AND LUBRICATION) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Definition Is today (21 May, 2010) in week # 20 or 21 ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 20, 2010 (DG set and SYNCHRONIZATION) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ELECTRICITY, SAFETY & GROUNDING) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (SOLAR ENERGY) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ENERGY) The Reading Room 0
xcanals_tecno-med.es MDD 93/42 as amended by dir 2007/47 in force next week (21 mars) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Elsmar Quote of the Week Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
N Ideas for Quality Week Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
Claes Gefvenberg Picture of the week Imported Legacy Blogs 1
Claes Gefvenberg Picture of the week Imported Legacy Blogs 0
T How many hours a week do you devote to maintaining your QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Claes Gefvenberg Another week, another picture... Imported Legacy Blogs 2
Hershal NCSLI this upcoming week! Who will be there?-2009 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J FAA Training suggestions wanted for Sept 1st week Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
S Wish me luck - whole week Nadcap audit... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
bobdoering GM prepares to announce Pontiac closure next week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Sampling Method for 25 pieces a week of a cable with connectors Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Howard Atkins What calender week is it? ISO 8601 is not clear Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
B Audit Week Is Finally Here Imported Legacy Blogs 2
C Continuous Improvement Toons wanted for Continuous Improvement Awareness Week Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
H I have an interview with LRQA next week - Your advice or experiences? Career and Occupation Discussions 8