Week 8 Student Discussion - Systems Thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Roberta

I think Steve does a good job in focusing us to actually think systemically. Although this course seems to revisit material we covered in previous courses, what it is doing is bringing those multiple systems and functions into one course to demonstrate their interrelatedness. The systems have already been taught to us; now we learn the functionality of each system as dependent upon the other systems, and the detriment that can occur if we as managers are not cognizant of these relationships.
City U seems to be taking this modern approach pretty well in its MBA curriculum -- an attribute I didn't much value before but now well into my program I am understanding the necessity of learning systemic thinking. It is shining a light on the relations of the operations/departments in my company, and I able to recognize where a systemic approach is being applied and where it is lacking.

M

Mary Davenport

Roberta said:
I think Steve does a good job in focusing us to actually think systemically. Although this course seems to revisit material we covered in previous courses, what it is doing is bringing those multiple systems and functions into one course to demonstrate their interrelatedness.
I also feel Steve has done a good job of helping us think more of the systems than the parts. As we have discussed many times in class, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I agree, as Roberta mentions, this course has revisited things we have learned in other classes. It takes several classes (quanitative methods, marketing, project management, and a little light statistics and accounting, among others), and brings them all together into one useful package.

J

Jamie Morris

:applause:
Mary Davenport said:
I also feel Steve has done a good job of helping us think more of the systems than the parts. As we have discussed many times in class, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I agree, as Roberta mentions, this course has revisited things we have learned in other classes. It takes several classes (quanitative methods, marketing, project management, and a little light statistics and accounting, among others), and brings them all together into one useful package.
I have to agree that Steve has definitely improved my ability to think about processes, inputs, outputs, design, layouts, and even HR functions as components of the larger system. I am a Scholtes’s disciple. Scholtes is a Dr. Deming disciple. His writings stress the importance of leaders being able to view functions, processes, and organizations from a system prospective. In fact, Scholtes believes that this prospective is a required competency for leaders. Additionally, he stresses that leaders must be able to interpret and understand variability in the system. He discusses the importance of knowing the difference between common cause variation and special cause variation within a system. Steve has helped me better understand the difference between common cause variation and special cause variation. This increased understanding will allow me to be better equipped to think from the system prospective when trying to achieve continual improvement. Thanks, Steve! :applause:

M

mark child

Surprise, I agree as well. Steve is bringing all prior classes together into one comprehensive whole and we are having fun in the process. Beer games, tinkertoy exercises, red pen/blue pen, and red bead experiments have given me an extra perception into the organization I currently work for as well as previous ones. :agree1:
Using submarine and toy train examples are a nice touch.

S

ssagreen

Thinking of the bigger picture and how the system works as a whole makes me think of how it is at where I work. I see how there are jobs, performance incentives, and projects that do not make sense to do when we look at the larger picture. Often we get stovepiped into just doing what we are told to do even if it is not the best work to be done. It does not matter how effecient you are at the job if you are doing the wrong job. This class has taught me to look at the larger picture and the interaction of the pieces.

J

jlowens

System Thinking

I also agree that Steve has helped us in understanding how systems work. Steve's class has helped me especially because this is such a field than I am accustomed to working in. Steve has brought the other courses that I have taken together for me.I get the red bead experiement now. It took two terms with Steve but I got it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
Q Audit 1 week away and no agenda from auditor yet IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Marc A Four Day Work Week - Reuters - Dec 2018 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
S Design changes a week after regulatory submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 21
E Irritation test - Dermal Filler - 52-week implantation study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Marc Adventures in Design Quality Assurance - Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays World News 0
W DCMA and AS9100C - Dedicating a week and 5 auditors to perform a AS9100C audit AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
B Anyone Attending OTC next week in Houston? (Offshore Technology Confernce) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
Hershal This week in the High Desert Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
R Two Week Notice Backlash Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Mikishots What a week - 15 November 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Claes Gefvenberg IMS (Integrated Management System) Audited for a week... Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
B The Case for a 25-Hour Work Week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Q Last work week due to immigration process, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Immigration and Expatriate Topics 7
P Suggestions for Europe in a Week - By Car Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
chris1price The final version of the RoHS2 recast was published last week as 2011/65/EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
S World Quality Week - PRI Articles AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T It is Audit Week... August 2010 General Auditing Discussions 31
BradM NCSLI this upcoming week! Who will be there? July 2010 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
somashekar Information sharing: Week 27, 2010 (HEAT TREATMENT) The Reading Room 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 24, 2010 (INDUCTION MOTOR) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (HARDNESS, THREADS, BEARINGS) The Reading Room 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (TPM, OEE) The Reading Room 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (PAPER SIZES) The Reading Room 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (COMPUTER TERMS, NUMBER SYSTEM AND DIGITAL) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (CAPACITORS, TRANSFORMERS, RELAYS) The Reading Room 2
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (LEADACID BATTERY AND 12V ELECTRICAL SYSTEM) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (MOTORS, MACHINES AND LUBRICATION) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Definition Is today (21 May, 2010) in week # 20 or 21 ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 20, 2010 (DG set and SYNCHRONIZATION) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ELECTRICITY, SAFETY & GROUNDING) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (SOLAR ENERGY) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ENERGY) The Reading Room 0
xcanals_tecno-med.es MDD 93/42 as amended by dir 2007/47 in force next week (21 mars) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Elsmar Quote of the Week Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
N Ideas for Quality Week Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
Claes Gefvenberg Picture of the week Imported Legacy Blogs 1
Claes Gefvenberg Picture of the week Imported Legacy Blogs 0
T How many hours a week do you devote to maintaining your QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Claes Gefvenberg Another week, another picture... Imported Legacy Blogs 2
Hershal NCSLI this upcoming week! Who will be there?-2009 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J FAA Training suggestions wanted for Sept 1st week Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
S Wish me luck - whole week Nadcap audit... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
bobdoering GM prepares to announce Pontiac closure next week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Sampling Method for 25 pieces a week of a cable with connectors Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Howard Atkins What calender week is it? ISO 8601 is not clear Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
B Audit Week Is Finally Here Imported Legacy Blogs 2
C Continuous Improvement Toons wanted for Continuous Improvement Awareness Week Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
H I have an interview with LRQA next week - Your advice or experiences? Career and Occupation Discussions 8