Weekly Quality Topics - A basic quality primer

B

beekun

I am interested in very basic training in the principles of quality. My company has a history of keeping quality in the QC Department. I am in the process of trying to create a process-based QMS with in-line inspectin so I can develop my inspectors as auditors and facilitators.
One of my current projects is presenting a weekly Quality Topic. This is a brief (10~15 minutes max) presentation to the manufacturing and quality personnel to familiarize them with basic quality concepts. For example, the first one I did was "Inputs and Outputs." I explained the concept (fuel/air/ignition > fire > heat/light/safety/ash) and then went through I/O for a specific job station. Next week I will probably explain "Control" as it relates to processes.
I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and would like to participate in developing quality topics in this format that we could share.
Thanks for any interest.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

alspread

Re: Weekly Quality Topics - a quality primer

Interesting. I've done some stuff like this in the past with (what I thought) was positive results.

I usually try to make analogies to other industries that are simple and that most people can relate to.

I did this on the concept of control and why you can't do 100% inspection by using an analogy to the local donut maker. I know it sounds kind of silly and maybe a little corny, but I bought a bunch of donuts for the group and asked how they could control the process to assure quality because they obviously could inspect (taste) each one. This is a simple product that requires a destructive test to assure quality of the process. Then, of course you start to discuss the variables (manpower, machines, method, etc).

I sometimes replace aspirin with donuts or cookies if its a more serious group. Everybody can relate to aspirin and can understand the enourmous volumes and potential risk. And clearly you can't 100% inspect aspirin without destroying it.

No disrespect intended to the donut, cookie, or aspirin makers out there.

Keep up the good work. Good luck.

R. Webb

Involved In Discussions
Re: Weekly Quality Topics - a quality primer

My first experience with this kind of thing was trying to explain variance to a shop employee when I tried to get him to adjust a machine that was in tolerance, (by about 1%). He didn't get it and never did - it's in tolerance it goes. Every place I've been to I have had the same discussion with production employees with similar results. Some get it and some just don't want to be told they need to do it better by someone other than their boss. In some cases their boss didn't want to hear it either.

If you could get that idea across in my book you made good progress.

S

SonicQA

Does anybody know of a reputable online training course for ISO 13485 internal lead auditor certification?
I have ISO 9001:2000 internal audit experience and feel online training would save time and resources.

Thanks,
Alton

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Weekly or monthly brief Quality Topics or short power point presentations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
B Quality Manager Weekly Report Template Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
K Records - Are weekly purchasing reports, backlog reports, etc., Quality Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
M Establishing a QMS - What Daily/Weekly/Monthly activities in Auto Industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Save Excel file with Date for Recording Weekly Test Samples Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
Claes Gefvenberg Weekly picture: The little things... Imported Legacy Blogs 1
Claes Gefvenberg Weekly picture Imported Legacy Blogs 3
M Control Chart for Dependent obs - One factor for each category weekly Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J What should be covered in weekly Staff Meetings? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
S I'm required to conduct weekly training but I'm burning out - Your ideas? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 35
P Humidity not recorded weekly - How would you Correct it? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
Marc The Weekly Roundup - June 28, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - June 21, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - June 14, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - Wednesday, June 7, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - May 31, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - May 17, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - May 24, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - May 10 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - May 3 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - April 26 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - April 19 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - March 29 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - March 22 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup - 12 Apr After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Weekly Roundup - THE LINUX REPORT - January 19, 2000 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc The Weekly Linux Report After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc The Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Linux Weekly Roundup After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 13
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0