Weight Scales - How much do you pay for calibration?

Pumkin

Registered
My company has 34 scales that need calibrated every 12 months. I'm looking to get a quote from local accredited labs for calibration costs, but I'm curious what others have been quoted for per scale. What does your company pay?

I'm currently looking at doing in-house calibration as well. Buying certified weight standards and have those by calibrated every 5 years or so. Thoughts?

Edit: our scales are digital scales that range between 0-10,000g.

Last edited:

greatwhitebuffalo

Involved In Discussions
I just had two digital scales calibrated this week. Each has a 2LB. and a 50LB. "side". I paid $95.00 each, vendor did it along with some optical equipment and a surface plate which helped offset travel charges.

mhannon

Calibration leader
We pay per hour for a big name calibration house to come on-site and calibrate all scales (along with a bunch of other stuff). Going rate is something like $120/hour. He can do a few an hour, which comes out to about $40 per item.
Our 2,000lb shipping dock floor scale is about $625 to have calibrated.

Last edited:

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
My company has 34 scales that need calibrated every 12 months. I'm looking to get a quote from local accredited labs for calibration costs, but I'm curious what others have been quoted for per scale. What does your company pay?

I'm currently looking at doing in-house calibration as well. Buying certified weight standards and have those by calibrated every 5 years or so. Thoughts?

Good day @Pumkin ;
I certainly don't doubt that your organization may indeed ..."...need calibrated every 12 months."

However, I would be remise if I did not ask....
1- Why do they "...need calibrated'..." ?
2- "...every 12 months." ?

Often organizations lose track of 'why' a task is being performed.
A- Does historical data indicate there is a risk to not calibrating?
B- Is there historical data to indicate any calibration being performed needs done every 12 months?
C- Is there a customer mandate/contract that requires this?
D- Is in house verification (e.g. start and end of shift) sufficient to protect your organization and its customers?
(ultimately, protecting your organization and its customers is the ultimate goal)

Food for thought.

Be well.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource

Do you require accredited calibrations? If you don't, then looking into purchasing the weights and calibrating them yourself probably makes sense. If you need accredited calibrations it will not be worth the time and money required for you to do these yourself.
As for costs... in calibration everything is local for pricing. Where are you located?

Top Bottom