Weld Inspection of Assemblies - Agricultural spreaders manufacturer

K

Karen

We manufacture agricultural spreaders for lime and fertilizers. Parts are fabricated (sheet metal) and welded according to customer specifications. We currently do not have any criteria for Weld Inspection. Our lead people bring an experience level to know when a weld is "good" but we want to document some criteria to incorporate into Measurement and Monitoring of Product. We would hope to satisfy the requirement with visual inspection. This is what we have so far.

* No Weld Cracks
* No Cold Lap
* No Undercuts
* No Overlap
* Proper Fusion/Penetration
* Adequate Fillet Size
* Alignment of Parts (per drawing spec)
* Even/Clean Weld

Do we need to be more specific? Do we need to define to some sort of standard regarding fusion and fillet size? We don't need rocket science, but want to be measureable.

Thanks As Usual!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tom Goetzinger

Welding is normally defined as a "special process", in that it is only through destructive testing that the quality (strength) of the weld can be determined. For that reason,I would caution use regarding inspection criteria, unless it is the cosmetic aspects that you are concerned with.
I would suggest relying on the skill of your operators as opposed to inspection. We covered special processes in our procedures, indicating that those functions could only be performed by certified operators or operators in-training. Those in-training work under the direction of those certified and are allowed to perform those type of operations at which they have become proficient.

Randy

Super Moderator
I believe there are some ANSI specs governing welding. Also check some professional organizations for accepted criteria.

I used to inspect aircraft welding and you're right farm equipment is not rocket science.

K

KWZPENG

You might want to use ANSI/AWS D9.1-90 Standard Sheet Metal Welding Code as a guideline. It includes:
-General Provisions for Arc Welding
-Arc Welding Procedure Qualification
-Qualification of Arc Welders and Arc
Welding Operators
-Arc Welding Workmanship
-Inspection of Arc Welding Work

D

David Mullins

When you go to ANSI's site and enter welding, 50 something documents appear. These include:

SS-EN 729-4
Quality requirements for welding - Fusion welding of metallic materials - Part 4: Elementary quality materials $ 28
SS-EN 729-3
Quality requirements for welding - Fusion welding of metallic materials - Part 3: Standard quality requirements $ 40
SS-EN 729-2
Quality requirements for welding - Fusion welding of metallic materials - Part 2: Comprehensive quality requirements $ 40
SS-EN 729-1
Quality requirements for welding - Fusion welding of metallic materials - Part 1: Guidelines for selection and use

Good hunting.

------------------

G
Without getting too deep into the welding/materials side of things, you could look at having one of your personnel qualified as a visual inspector, as long as your customer isn't expecting non destructive examination at a higher qualification level i.e. magnetic particle or radiography visual inspection to a recognised standard should suffice.

J

Jase Eyre

In a recent post on Welding Inspection, Tom Goetzinger replied with the following:

Originally posted by Tom Goetzinger:
Welding is normally defined as a "special process", in that it is only through destructive testing that the quality (strength) of the weld can be determined. For that reason,I would caution use regarding inspection criteria, unless it is the cosmetic aspects that you are concerned with.
I would suggest relying on the skill of your operators as opposed to inspection. We covered special processes in our procedures, indicating that those functions could only be performed by certified operators or operators in-training. Those in-training work under the direction of those certified and are allowed to perform those type of operations at which they have become proficient.
My question is this: Is there such a thing as a "Special Process" in the 2000 revision, or is this a term devised by an individual company? I can find no reference to this concept in the Standard.

In my industry (building design), the outcome of the design process likewise cannot be tested through traditional 'inspection' regimes (short of trying to knock down new buildings), but must rely on the skill of the designers. What implications does this have for compliance? How can we prove we've followed the relevant building standards short of documenting everything with checklists? Or can we rely on the fact that our designers are highly qualified, highly competant professionals?

...Or am I just confusing the issues (probable, given the day I'm having!)?

In fact, I think I'll go and have a lie down...

T

Tom Goetzinger

Jase,
This is something our registrar asked us to address. He referenced it to 4.9.g. My impression was that the term "special processes" was quite commonly used to refer to processes which cannot be validated except by destructive testing, but maybe that is a United States thing. You are right that specific term are is not specifically used in the standard.

------------------
Tom Goetzinger

A

Alan Cotterell

The normal practice in Australia, for assuring the quality of a weld is to have a 'weld procedure'. Once this has been established test plates are welded and a 'macro' and a 'tensile' test is performed on pieces cut fron the plates. The plates must be of the same material to be used on the job.
A caution - in the early 1960's Melbourne's King Street Bridge cracked and serious damage resulted. The failure was due to heat treated plate (quench and tempered)being used with no change to the weld procedure - low hydrogen electrodes should have been used with pre and post heating.
I believe an engineer committed suicide over this accident, as the production people refused to listen to his advice prior to the incident.
The visual inspection you quoted in the original message will not assure that MIG (metal inert gas) welds are sound. MIG welds are notorious for looking good and having 'lack of fusion'.
Australian Standard 1445.1 is I believe, the standard which relates to welding for structural purposes in Australia. Try www.standards.com.au if you wish to find it. However I am sure the US has good standards in this area.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5 Visual Weld Inspection Report - Example needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
automoto Visual Inspection of a Weld - MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Visual Weld inspection training Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Calibration Standard N24: PFM NO 1841 - Ultrasonic Inspection of Resistance Spot Weld Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B CQI-15 Weld Inspector vision reviewed annually Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
H FCA projection weld nut IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Z CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Robotic Ultrasonic Foam onto Plastic "Weld" applicable? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
K Spot weld - Peel test failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
E European Weld Callouts - Confused with the "/C" and the "a2" portions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
B Weld Validation on Titanium Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
V Tolerance achievable for Sheet Metal Part with some weld - 0.4mm TP Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Rust and Paint adhesion with new Weld Nut Supplier Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
F Welder Recertification to AWS 17.1 Groove Weld AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Weld Stud Length Poka Yoke Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
B Laser Weld Strength - Laser Welding Medical Instruments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
J Weld Current Monitor Calibration Laboratory in North America General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L AWS Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) Requirement Question Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
K Inspecting a Length of Weld - High Reject Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
hogheavenfarm Does anyone know of a calibrated Fillet weld gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Laser Weld Operational Qualification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C ID (Inside Diameter) Threads Shrinking due to Heat Treatment and Weld Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
I Weld Repair and Nonconformance reporting Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Weld Penetration on GM 6122M Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
Domoreto Spot Welding aust. 304 Stainless Steel - Report on Contrition of Weld Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Eliminating a Recurring Problem of Missing Weld Nuts/Fasteners Manufacturing and Related Processes 27
L How to Avoid Missed Welds - Job shop and weld several small quantity jobs Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
bobdoering Determining a Good Variable for Small Scale Weld Integrity Capability Evaluation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
P Process vs. Product on Control Plan - Weld a nut attachment on the subassembly FMEA and Control Plans 3
J Pull test standard? Wires coming off the electrodes at the weld ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Spot Weld Current Tester Calibration Supplier needed - 5000 to 20000 A range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Weld Specifications - EU vs. AWS - Are AWS procedures recognized by the EU? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Cost Estimating Spreadsheet for a CNC Machine & Weld Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Toyota Weld Specification TSH5603G needed Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
3 General MIG Weld Workmanship Standard or Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Weld Symbol Interpretation Training Resources - Video and/or overheads, etc. Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L Weld Nut Thread Quality - Thread chaser for a M8-1.25 internal thread? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Weld Penetration - ANSI/AWS D14.3-94 - Qualifying welding procedures Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 8
D Weld Stepper Validation in production weld-cells Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
G Is a Weld Destruct Test Effective - Have any of you ever used this test? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
R Gage R&R for a Destructive Test - Weld Breakout Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Destructive Testing MSA - Weld Bond Pull - Both destructive and non destructive Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7