Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

What are EMC and EMI Tests for PCBs?

V

vimalvg

Hi

Can anyone please let me know what EMC and EMI tests are? It would be great if anyone can share any procedure for conducting the test for PCB.

Thanks,
Vimal

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimal

EMC - electromagnetic compatibility
EMI - electromagnetic interference

These are terms used to (basically) describe if products give off levels of electrical 'noise' or can have their operation affected by picking up the same 'noise' from another source.

Wikipedia reference-linkElectromagnetic_compatibility

Wikipedia reference-linkElectromagnetic_interference

There are certain specifications for products and we'd have to know more about what the product is and what market you're selling in to, for example Europe.

The test are performed by either running the product (normally) in a 'Faraday' room (shielded from outside electrical influences) and an antenna is used to 'listen' to the electrical noise, or the product is bombarded with a variety of electrical noise while being operated, to see if it is affected.

Last edited:

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
Hi Vimal,

to echo what Andy has already said, its all about electromagmetic capatability/suscepability, types of materials, routing and location of components, traces etc, to name a few factors.

As I recall the applicable Mil Stds are 461Requirements for the Control of... and 462 Measurement/Testing. 462 was cancelled in 1993 and now 461Rev E addresses the whole issue.

Here is a link to the specification/standard...
http://www.tscm.com/MIL-STD-461E.PDF

Regards,
Marty

V

vimalvg

HI Andy and Marty

Thank you

I got MIL-STD-461F
A small clarification needed.Can it be conducted for PCB,wiring Harness or it is meant for OEM.
Thanks,
Vimal:)

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Andy and Marty

Thank you

I got MIL-STD-461F
A small clarification needed.Can it be conducted for PCB,wiring Harness or it is meant for OEM.
Thanks,
Vimal:)
Vimal - you are welcome. The testing can be conducted at any build level that gives a meaningful and valid result. If the pcb or harness are capable of being energized as they would operate or simulated, then they can be tested. It's certainly not only OEM top build level that can be tested.

Top Bottom