What are some of the findings found during your desk audit and how was it conducted?

9001-2000 upgrade desk audit consisted of:

• Review of Quality Manual

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Review of Quality Manual and System procedures

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No review at all

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Just curious, for those of you who have or are in process of upgrading to the 00 Standard. What are some of the findings found during your desk audit and how was it conducted (poll). If you said other, please explain.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
The manual: We threw it out and wrote a new one. 10 pages proved to be quite sufficient...

The rest of the system: We have been quietly adding the stuff we needed to add since ISO9001:2000 was released and we did not miss the opportunity to also tweak the QMS when we went for the ISO 14001 badge last year. When we really got to grips with the upgrade, most of the required stuff turned out to be there already.

One interesting fact: We found that we were able to clean out a whole lot of (unused and quite unnecessary) stuff from our system.... Thus, the size of the QMS actually decreased...

/Claes

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Current comments? Let's help each other... What are some of the findings found during your desk audit and how was it conducted? Please take a minute and Vote in the Poll!

And Please - Give us some details!

S
Marc said:
Current comments? Let's help each other... What are some of the findings found during your desk audit and how was it conducted? Please take a minute and Vote in the Poll!

For TS2 the desk audit is simple; consisting of reviewing the QM for the scope, the seven required procedures,or reference to them and process definitions.
There were no findings.

xfngrs

Quite Involved in Discussions
less is more

I just attended a training class where the instructor said he helped many companies reduce their Quality Manual to practically nothing. 16 pages is the smallest he has been able to make one so far. So my boss is aiming for 10.

R

Rachel

gpainter,

Our document review basically involved me sitting down with the auditor for a day and walking him through our procedures. We have a quality manual (which I believe is about 20-30 pages - not all text, though), the six required procedures, and ten "process SOPs" which outline the main core processes at our facility. Other than that, we have the lower-level SOPs that are more department/process-specific, and then work instructions. He looked mainly at the manual, the six required, and the ten process. No findings.

Keep in mind that the intent of the documentation review ("desk audit") is to ensure that your documentation meets the requirements of the standard. Basically, as long as you have a quality manual that details the three points in 4.2.2, and the six procedures that are required - and as long as any other procedures that you have do not violate anything stipulated in the standard, you're aces.

Cheers,
-R.

J

Jonell

Marc said:

I simply had to email my quality manual (all 5 pages of it) to the CB for his review and approval prior to his coming.

Jonell

pga_gold

Involved - Posts
Our Desk Audit

In our desk audit, we spent one day reviewing the QM and a second day reviewing our COPs. There were several editorial changes that needed done on the QM. Goofy stuff really...it was "recommended" that we change all "Quality System" wording to "quality management system" wording. Waste of time!

As for the COPs...we spent a great deal of time reviewing the inputs and outputs and process measurement and monitoring. We were a little off base when we initially established process monitoring. The measurements for our manufacturing process were more geared toward product rather than process effectiveness.

I just realized that the information I gave dealt with our pre-assessment audit and not the actual desk audit. I'll post it anyway, maybe it's useful for someone. :topic:

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Round up the usual suspects

I'm training a handful of new auditors. They went into it with vigor.....most of what we found was document control issues. The usual things....people changed their procedures and never ran the revision by doc control, or received their new rev but were still working to the old.

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jonell said:
I simply had to email my quality manual (all 5 pages of it) to the CB for his review and approval prior to his coming.

Jonell
We did about the same as above. Mailed the Quality Manual 15 days ahead of the audit.I remember the auditor did confirm the presence of mandatory documents like Quality Policy, Quality Manual, those 6 documented procedures. Auditor had few questions about the " exclusions".
Later these were verified during the site visit audit (field work).

We took the approach of writing the Quality Manual in the same flow of Product Realization linking the supporting process at the appropriate places.

I remember there was a poll in this forum around the same (July-Oct 2002) time frame in the very same topic about Quality Manual- Process approach. I saw only very few took this approach.

I guess this approach is not so common. Auditor took some time to re-orient from the ISO sections clauses sequence and get adjusted to this flow. Eventually, he liked this approach of writing Quality Manual.

Oops, I almost forgot. We had a finding to revise the Quality policy to include an "explicit commitment to continual improvement".

Govind.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S External Auditor Findings when an Internal Audit found a Nonconformance Yesterday Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
XRAY_3121 Informational MDSAP Audit Findings - Document change orders Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Internal Audit - Findings - Recent Internet Audit (Prior to Certification) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
dubrizo Are you documenting Internal Audit findings as NCRs? Internal Auditing 18
dubrizo Audit Findings: Writing against Internal an ISO Clause Internal Auditing 10
K Definition of Repeat Audit Findings Internal Auditing 11
Q Writing appropriate ISO 13485 Audit Report Findings Internal Auditing 15
M Do all findings (nonconformities) in an internal audit require a corrective action? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 55
Mikey324 Questionable Audit Findings after Rules 4th Edition Release IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Audit Findings Summary Rewrite by an Auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Help with Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Internal Audit Findings and Issuance Problem Internal Auditing 4
8 New Job Presentation on my findings and plans for future Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
E Corrective Actions Root Causes from Surveillance Audit Findings Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Report Findings for an audit conducted yesterday General Auditing Discussions 10
C Should Research Findings be in the Design History File? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Boeing 787 Battery Investigation - NTSB findings to date AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M External Audit Findings - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L Quality Manager wants Internal Auditor to softgrade the findings - What shall I do? Internal Auditing 23
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
I Types of Internal Audit findings based on ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
M ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 GDP (Good Documentation Practices) Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C No findings from External Audit - Should I be worried? General Auditing Discussions 7
C Sanity Check on ISO 9001 Pre-Assessment Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
K External Auditor asking for other Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
L Looking for 5S database to track findings Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
6 ISO 9001 Audit Findings Sept 2011 - Critique and Comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Medical Whiteroom Environmental Controls and Evaluation of Contact Plate Findings Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 9
D Management Review Analysis of Internal Audit Findings Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
X Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
B Mining Nonconformance Data for Potential Missed Audit Findings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
Howard Atkins Right to Appeal 3rd Party (Registrar aka CB) Findings General Auditing Discussions 23
B Critical Action Limits (CAL) for All Internal and External Audit Findings General Auditing Discussions 17
X ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit - Classification of Audit Findings Internal Auditing 5
AnaMariaVR2 Pros & Cons of FDA viewing QAU Audit Report Findings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
D ISO 10001:2007 - Critical Audit Findings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
L Categorizing Internal Audit Findings Internal Auditing 10
B Seeking advice on Recurring Findings with Different Causes Internal Auditing 13
B Writing Techniques for Audit Findings, Reports, etc. Internal Auditing 15
Michael Malis For Internal Audit findings, would you open a CAPA for every observation? Internal Auditing 31