What are some SOPs that a Quality Manager should have?

L

lostmanager

I have til Dec 1st to get done with my department SOPs. I have quality procedures in place but not SOPs. To me they are the same. What are some SOPs that a quality manager should have? Do I just revise my quality procedure to sops and maybe a flow chart with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

guruprasadb

hi

some SOP's in our area consisits

Common sop for Do's & Dont's while inspection, loading ,handling etc
Specific SOP for testing equipments like hardness, ultrasonic, mpt , CMM
consists mainly of switch on / switch off, care to be taken, DO's and DONT's

P

pldey42

I have til Dec 1st to get done with my department SOPs. I have quality procedures in place but not SOPs. To me they are the same. What are some SOPs that a quality manager should have? Do I just revise my quality procedure to sops and maybe a flow chart with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you doing ISO 9001? Are you the quality manager?

Neither "quality procedures" nor "SOPs" are defined terms in ISO 9001, which calls for processes and documentation. So if for you they are the same, and if you're the quality manager, why give yourself work?

For me, a typical quality manager, if such exists, would own processes for controlling documents and records, non-conforming product, internal audit, corrective and preventive action, and management review. He or she would ideally own customer satisfaction data gathering, analysis and reporting, and would use such to behave as "the voice of the customer" and drive complaints resolution and continual improvement. The quality manager would also own the quality manual and assure that it is useful in organizational learning.

Hope this helps
Pat

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

lostmanager,

Your question suggests a clause 4.1 nonconformity.

Having determined the processes necessary for the success of your management system you will see that your department needs no procedures.

You may however own a few processes for which you may develop documented procedures to specify the way the process actually works effectively.

Please confirm conformity to clause 4.1.

John

L

lostmanager

Yes, we are ISO 9001 2008 and I'm the QM. I may just revisit the big 6 required procedures and review but should I keep my form numbers QM or change to SOP so we all are uniformity. I could keep mines QP and process specific procedures make actually SOPs.
Are you doing ISO 9001? Are you the quality manager?

Neither "quality procedures" nor "SOPs" are defined terms in ISO 9001, which calls for processes and documentation. So if for you they are the same, and if you're the quality manager, why give yourself work?

For me, a typical quality manager, if such exists, would own processes for controlling documents and records, non-conforming product, internal audit, corrective and preventive action, and management review. He or she would ideally own customer satisfaction data gathering, analysis and reporting, and would use such to behave as "the voice of the customer" and drive complaints resolution and continual improvement. The quality manager would also own the quality manual and assure that it is useful in organizational learning.

Hope this helps
Pat

P

pldey42

What's special about Dec 1st?

If it's an audit, then, as John suggests, you'll need to consider the whole QMS, not just your own department.

Have there been internal audits? Is progress being made with corrective and preventive action?

Focusing on the six mandatory documented procedures (they aren't big, just overemphasised) may be a mistake, especially if there are nonconformities elsewhere in the system. Indeed, focusing on documentation might be a mistake if the system is not performing.

Hope this helps
Pat

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
It doesn't matter what you call them - procedures, SOPs... the idea is to help ensure necessary things get done consistently, and responsibilities and authority is defined in some way.

Consider what would be needed to help a new, reasonably intelligent person navigate and execute your duties as a QM, including oversight of the system. Ideally the quality manual would describe what goes on enough to help the person find his or her way through. Some people make flow charts and find that enough to serve their needs.

Top Bottom