What are the Advantages of a Digital Caliper Compared with a Dial Caliper?

F

fgdfkhui

I want to buy a caliper for my dad who is a gunsmith, so he always need to measure some all kinds of small elements.

My friend recommend me to buy a dial one because he think a dial one is more reliable. Which one should I choose, a digital caliper or a dial one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Both dial and digital calipers are pretty much equally reliable these days.

If your dad isn't into the "digital revolution" he may be more comfortable using a dial type indicator.

F

fgdfkhui

Both dial and digital calipers are pretty much equally reliable these days.

If your dad isn't into the "digital revolution" he may be more comfortable using a dial type indicator.

But i think maybe a digital caliper is more convenient.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There are a lot of good calipers made by companies like Mitutoyo, Starrett, Agilent, and Fowler. I would sick with name brands.

Maybe you should ask your dad what he would like - Digital or dial.

AndyN

Moved On
I want to buy a caliper for my dad who is a gunsmith, so he always need to measure some all kinds of small elements.

My friend recommend me to buy a dial one because he think a dial one is more reliable. Which one should I choose, a digital caliper or a dial one.

The principle difference is going to be in taking readings. A dial display - because it's analog, will be somewhat subject to error - possibly parallax error - whereas a digital readout isn't open to such error. I'm going to guess that for his use, either is good and it just become a matter of cost.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The principle difference is going to be in taking readings. A dial display - because it's analog, will be somewhat subject to error - possibly parallax error - whereas a digital readout isn't open to such error. I'm going to guess that for his use, either is good and it just become a matter of cost.

Other differences are the digital caliper's being able to switch between metric and English units, do data output and easily set to zero at any point in the caliper's range.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Possible downfalls for both types include:

Dial;
1. Chips getting into the teeth, causing the dial to 'skip'. This is less common now than years ago, but I still see it happening on occasion. If the environment is has small chips or lots of dust, this could be more common.
2. Not being able to set the dial to zero removes some abilities to measure in different ways (measuring the length of a pin, set to zero, putting the pin in a blind hole and measuring to get depth of hole for example).

Digital;
1. If they get wet, they must be completely dried before using (unless they are water proof--never used these so I don't know if they work or not).
2. They require a battery to operate, without the battery, the calipers are just a paper weight. Batteries typically last a year or more (mine have been going on 2 years now) so when it runs out usually a spare is not to be found.

As others have pointed out, if you buy a set, get a good quality set. I have to calibrate hand held instruments here at work, cheep models usually don't pass even when new (this may be my prejudice talking--but I like good quality instruments)

F

fgdfkhui

There are a lot of good calipers made by companies like Mitutoyo, Starrett, Agilent, and Fowler. I would sick with name brands.

Maybe you should ask your dad what he would like - Digital or dial.
My dad said he want to have a try to use a digital caliper.

S

ssz102

in my view, all kinds of caliper have themself advantage
if your dad often use it measure mechanical parts with oil, i recommend you buy vernier caliper; if the parts measuremented is other material, dial caliper or digital caliper is all ok

Top Bottom