What are the changes in supervising according to ISO17025?

Hi to all,

my lab is in process of applying ISO 17025/2017. Can anyone give me an example of one supervision of personnel. what are the changes in supervising according to new version of standard? do i need to do the exams ?

thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Not sure what exams you are referring to here.

Supervision in the 2017 version is a bit simplified. There are not as many specific requirements.
For example, the 2005 version says:
"The management of the laboratory shall formulate the goals with respect to the education, training
and skills of the laboratory personnel. The laboratory shall have a policy and procedures for identifying training
needs and providing training of personnel. The training programme shall be relevant to the present and
anticipated tasks of the laboratory. The effectiveness of the training actions taken shall be evaluated."
The 2017 version has:
"The laboratory shall ensure that the personnel have the competence to perform laboratory
activities for which they are responsible and to evaluate the significance of deviations."

The biggest change between the two versions is the heavy emphasis now on "competence". No longer are "training records" going to be sufficient, you have to have a procedure and records for how you determine the competency of your employees.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Milena,

You may find that your lab tech job descriptions already define the abilities, skills and knowledge required of them. So how does your lab verify that techs apply the required competencies before they work unsupervised?

That is the question you are answering for the benefit of employee safety, colleague safety, lab management and the lab's clients.

This fits with the fact that labs, these days, are accredited for their competence to deliver the services described in their scope of accreditation.

Best wishes,

John

Thank you for rapid answer.

Im sorry im a bit boring, but im very young in this filed and i need help :) so, these are my questions,

1. i have a procedure "Personnel" where i describe personnel files, supervising and training. Can i have competence describing withing this procedure or i must have totally new procedure "Personnel competence"?
2. what method do you use as supervising ? i use observation, interview and comparison with me as supervisor, is it enough? now when the need to assess the efficiency of training has been erased what method should i use, is it enough to write for example "satisfactory - unsatisfactory"
3. what does it means in standard 6.2.5. f) monitoring competence of personnel? and and 6.2.5.a) determining the competence requirements?

im working in microbiology lab for drinking water examination.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Milena,

Procedures (both documented and undocumented) specify requirements for processes.

Personnel is a function but is not a process.

Recruiting and training are processes of which Personnel may have some responsibilities.

Competence is the intended result of recruiting and training (or subcontracting).

Note that process means work whereas a procedure specifies requirements for the work.

So, analyze your lab’s recruiting process. Is this work guided by a procedure that requires the supervisor to specify the required abilities, skills and knowledge of the new employee (whether recruited from outside or within)? If not how are they assured of finding candidates who at least have the potential to be competent?

You’ve not confirmed that your lab's job descriptions specify the abilities, skills and knowledge required of each job holder. Your lab may do this another way, if so please describe.

Usually, the recruiting process results in employees who need at little training but they already have the ability and the required knowledge.

Supervisor then either directly of indirectly monitors a new employee's work until he or she shows they are competent or able to do that work well. Whether direct or indirect the person doing the monitoring is also verified as competent (able to do this work well).

I suggest you invest some time talking to your colleagues to find out how they recruit, train and supervise workers so they are confident they will do their work well.

Best wishes,

John

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Thank you for rapid answer.

Im sorry im a bit boring, but im very young in this filed and i need help :) so, these are my questions,

1. i have a procedure "Personnel" where i describe personnel files, supervising and training. Can i have competence describing withing this procedure or i must have totally new procedure "Personnel competence"?
2. what method do you use as supervising ? i use observation, interview and comparison with me as supervisor, is it enough? now when the need to assess the efficiency of training has been erased what method should i use, is it enough to write for example "satisfactory - unsatisfactory"
3. what does it means in standard 6.2.5. f) monitoring competence of personnel? and and 6.2.5.a) determining the competence requirements?

im working in microbiology lab for drinking water examination.

Efficiency of training is now what is referred to as Competence. Both need you to demonstrate that whatever training you have provided has the result of the personnel being competent in performing their job.

6.2.5 a) means you need to determine what a competent person needs to know in order to perform their job. After you come up with that you will need to document what competence is defined as for the job.
6.2.5 f) requires more documentation as to how you have verified that the personnel have demonstrated that they are competent. That can be observation, analysis of their results, comparison to other competent persons, etc.

Efficiency of training is now what is referred to as Competence. Both need you to demonstrate that whatever training you have provided has the result of the personnel being competent in performing their job.

6.2.5 a) means you need to determine what a competent person needs to know in order to perform their job. After you come up with that you will need to document what competence is defined as for the job.
6.2.5 f) requires more documentation as to how you have verified that the personnel have demonstrated that they are competent. That can be observation, analysis of their results, comparison to other competent persons, etc.
Thank you very much!!!! this is very helpful answer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Q Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
F Medical devices_hong kong_post approval changes regulation (China's MOH) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F Medical Devices-South Africa _Post approval changes and Software Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3
NDesouza When Customers Make Changes to Orders Contract Review Process 24
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D 510K and Changes to Verification and Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
M Informational New Zealand – Changes to Medical Device Adverse Event Reporting process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Rationale for changes to ISO Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed changes to medical device essential principles for safety and performance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Changes to an already certified product (IIb, MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C What if the foreign manufacturer of a medical device changes the Authorized Representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A The latest revision number and changes in automotive core tools IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Informational EU – MDCG 2018-1 v2 Guidance on basic UDI-DI and changes to UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Ethicon suture box design changes - 2019 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E Changes to medical device submitted through a variation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T AS9100 Maintain Approval When Business Ownership Changes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
M Informational TGA – Several proposed changes to classification to better align with the EU MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO9001:2015 6.3 - Planning of Changes - OFI from auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Changes to a number of definitions and the scope of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Device Standards - Managing Changes to existing standards that apply to our devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
supadrai Changes to QMS - Contract Term ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R ISO 9001:2015 6.2 - Planning Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Significant Organizational Changes - Documented Responsibilities Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Proposed Changes - List of Recognized Standards for Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
Marc 9 September 2018 - Upcoming User Group Changes Forum News and General Information 1
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Douglas E. Purdy ISO/IEC 17025:2017 3rd Ed. Changes from 2nd Ed. ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Medical Device Changes and How to Assess Their Impacts to Essential Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Design changes a week after regulatory submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L Verifying training effectiveness for procedure changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
2 First Article Requirements for Revision Changes of Engineering AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
C Partial Design Validation and changes to a critical supplier 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 6.3 Planning Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M MDR Clinical Evaluation & investigation (SUMMARY of changes) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Design Verification - Managing Changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
QMMike ISO (in search of) IATF 16949 vs. TS 16949 changes summed up IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7