What are the characteristics of a world class company?

A

Andrews

World class company

This question is for the gurus.What are the characteristics of a world class company? How does a company go about achieving this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Interesting question.

You often see folks putting lofty statements in their Quality Policies saying something like “…to strive to be world class producers/hotels/manufacturers/etc. …” I wonder how many think about the question you are putting to this group before considering whether it belongs in ones statement or not?

I think the term is loosely used and thrown around too much. What makes one a world class sprinter or a world class automaker? Is this defined anywhere? What are the criteria? Or, is it a culmination of general opinion that decides whether Carl Johnson or Toyota are in fact world class?

Group?

Kevin

L

Laura M

Our school district adopted a "mission statement" that says we will provide a "world class" education. When it was presented to the board, I asked what that was.....

Further random thoughts. More questions than answers...

Hi all,

Laura has a point... What is world class?

...and do we mean overall world class, or world class within a specific set of characteristics? (I can hardly imagine anyone being top dog in every field).

Besides, I don't think the term means that you have to be the best of the best. Being up there among the best should certainly be interpreted as world class.

/Claes

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
More random thoughts on world class:

I also agree -- world class is not necessarily the one best -- but among the best. If the fastest sprinter in the world runs a 4.12 second time, is the guy (or 4 guys) who runs 4.13 not also "world class"?

Who decides? It depends. Peers, fellow competitors, the marketplace/customers, independent monitoring organizations.

You have to carefully define the classification. The sprinter who is WC in the 50 meter dash is not necessarily WC in the 200 meter high hurdles.

Anyone feel free to shoot holes...

L

Laura M

Ah ha - now you have it. Benchmark. But the only benchmark we seem to care about is within NY state. If we can't benchmark against "the world" then we shouldn't have it as an objective, right?

World class "sounds good" and I suppose in industry benchmarks may be easier to come by than what I'm talking about, but I still say you have to know if you've made it.

FYI - I'm not as negative about it as I sound. I'm trying to use my quality education on my unpaid School Board role to help educate, and make sure that when we say we are "data driven" that we actually are. We are embarking on the most formalized strategic planning process the district has ever had, and my push is the measurements so we measure ourselves and our strategic plan to self-imposed criteria that doesn't lose site of the State imposed criteria. "Say what you do, do what you say, and provide the records and results to prove it."

D

David Mullins

not with it

Laura said:
"Ah ha - now you have it. Benchmark. But the only benchmark we seem to care about is within NY state. "

What are you on about?

Randy

Super Moderator
To be world class places a business in the same league as the Walmarts, Boeings, Virgin companies, ABB Vetco Grey's, Bank of Tokyo's, Toyota's, Microsoft's, and other institutions like them.

N

noboxwine

World class company

Andrews said:

This question is for the gurus.What are the characteristics of a world class company? How does a company go about achieving this?
Not much time to chat, but let’s see how I do. In my unadulterated, crass, but common sense opinion (sorry I had to throw that in again), World Class is simply another ersatz buzz-word that looks great on letterhead and on banners throughout the plant, but is absolutely, positively incongruous. If anything, it is a contributing factor to poor quality, for, like top mgmt, it’s only lip service. Poof! Where’s the Quality? The banner has it. Yet, with the rapidly accelerating decline in Quality, due to an Earth full of these ill fated, dim-witted and coy managers, if one were to actually define World Class objectives based upon today’s “standards”, it wouldn’t be too grueling to achieve. Remember, I have a certificate in my lobby that says I am good. Fore !!!! Buh, bye now.
:thedeal:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A AS9102B - 3.6 Design Characteristics and form 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
N PQC (Product Quality Characteristics) and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Sanctioned Interpretations - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.2.3.1.2 - Customer-designated special characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Are Capability Requirement(s) Valid for All Characteristics? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
D Customer-Designated Special Characteristics vs. Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.3.3 - Documentation of all Special Characteristics in Drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S What should the FMEA Severity for SC & CC Characteristics be? FMEA and Control Plans 4
A Not all characteristics follow a Normal Distribution - How do you do SPC Chart Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Y Process Characteristics for Inspection and Storage FMEA and Control Plans 4
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Special Characteristics - ISO/TS 16949 Clause 7.3.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N VDA 1 Critical Characteristics Requirements Help needed VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
Q Choosing In-Process Inspection Characteristics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Douglas E. Purdy C=0 Sampling for Variable Characteristics Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
V Ford Dimensional Tag Characteristics requirements APQP and PPAP 2
R New draft guidelines for 510 (K) with Different Technological Characteristics. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
U-DOG SC (Special Characteristics) in CP (Control Plan) not on all Prints IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q TS 16949 Clause 7.2.1.1 Customer Designated Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Ron Rompen Seeking Test Lab which can do 1440 Hour Accelerated Weathering Characteristics Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Z Pass-Though Characteristics in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A MSA (Measurement System Analysis) for Characteristics with One Tolerance Limit Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
J Special characteristics in TS 16949 7.3.2.1 - Why 7.3.2.3 not 7.2.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Special Characteristics revisited IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Special Characteristics -> Any specific additional requirements to be met? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D Is Cpk required for all Attribute Data Special Characteristics? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Critical Characteristics - Capability for a Minimum Specification APQP and PPAP 6
C AS 9102 Form 0 "Additional Information for High Risk Characteristics" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Interpretation of Key Characteristics in Software AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Critical Characteristics of a Word Processor and Excel Software Quality Assurance 2
C CHARACTERISTICS Number in Control Plan methology in AIAG APQP Manual APQP and PPAP 2
Q TS 16949 Clause 7.3.2.3 when the Customer has no Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
J Ford changing their acronym for Significant Characteristics from HIC to CTQ Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
R Process to use Special Characteristics as FMEA Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C De-Coiler, Levelling, Autofeeder PFMEA - Which characteristics should be focused on? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) on a CMM for Special Characteristics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4