What are the characteristics of a world class company?

E

energy

Re: World class company

noboxwine said:

Not much time to chat, but let’s see how I do. In my unadulterated, crass, but common sense opinion (sorry I had to throw that in again), World Class is simply another ersatz buzz-word that looks great on letterhead and on banners throughout the plant, but is absolutely, positively incongruous. If anything, it is a contributing factor to poor quality, for, like top mgmt, it’s only lip service. Poof! Where’s the Quality? The banner has it. Yet, with the rapidly accelerating decline in Quality, due to an Earth full of these ill fated, dim-witted and coy managers, if one were to actually define World Class objectives based upon today’s “standards”, it wouldn’t be too grueling to achieve. Remember, I have a certificate in my lobby that says I am good. Fore !!!! Buh, bye now.
:thedeal:

I'm with you!:bigwave: We can call ourselves anything we want. Prove otherwise. :rolleyes: :ko: :smokin:

All biggies...

Randy said:

To be world class places a business in the same league as the Walmarts, Boeings, Virgin companies, ABB Vetco Grey's, Bank of Tokyo's, Toyota's, Microsoft's, and other institutions like them.

Interesting that they are all so large.... Does a take a multinational to attain world class? Or do they become biggies because they are..? Doh. Better stop there...:bonk:

/Claes

L

Laura M

Re: not with it

David Mullins said:

Laura said:
"Ah ha - now you have it. Benchmark. But the only benchmark we seem to care about is within NY state. "

What are you on about?
:bonk:

Back to my prior post about my school district saying 'we provide a "world class" education' - but here in NY the only benchmarks we use are NY state comparisons. My point was if we are measuring ourselves against other NY state districts, then we shouldn't call our selves "world class." Like I mentioned later - in business it may be easier to benchmark against the world - and a business may actually be able to claim that they are "world class."

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
In reply to the list Randy gave. They are all good companies and have a good bottom line but are they really world class? I would venture to say not. Take for example Wal-Mart, see how they treat their suppliers and people. Toyota, another example, we have a plant in our area and many go other places to work because of the way they treat people. I think that the smaller companies are a lot closer to world class than the larger. Many times the true test of a world class company comes with hard times. What do you think?

Randy

Super Moderator
I don't think size is really relevent...look at the UK. The UK doesn't really amount to much when it comes to population, square miles, or or maybe even GNP, but it is most definitely a "World Class" nation. I think world class is a standard applied to/by entities to compare themselves on a global scale with other comparable entities.

D

David Mullins

Randy said:

I don't think size is really relevent...

The UK doesn't really amount to much when it comes to population, square miles, or or maybe even GNP, but it is most definitely a "World Class" nation.

Randy,
Firstly, is this a line you use often?

Secondly, the UK world class? You haven't seen them play cricket, have you!

Jim,
The adoption, or not, of any model for running an organisation, doesn't weigh into the world class debate, but I haven't seen a company yet that can't still improve.

Skullsike,
30 years ago Toyota was 3rd world class.
15 Years ago Korea was 3rd world class, now we're driving their cars.
Today's 3rd world class countries may well lead the way 15 years from now. WHY?

Probably because they had a sound strategic plan that was regularly revisited, measured their results, evbaluated the results against others, modified/created new strategies, used innovation, created learning work environments, learned from the best and made it better or cheaper, stole IP, co-erced other companies employees, paid off politicians, tricked auditors.....

M

M Greenaway

Jim

I would suggest that world class companies do not comply with standards or models, they create them !

D

db

Ah ha - now you have it. Benchmark. But the only benchmark we seem to care about is within NY state
My guess is then you are only 'state class', at best! :biglaugh:

To me 'world class' means you are the one the world looks up to. You do not benchmark, you are benchmarked. The Toyota Production System is the model that lean manufacturing is based on. This, I think makes Toyota ‘world class’ in lean manufacturing. When we look to ‘world class’ organizations, they usually stand out in one or two areas. Toyota may be best is class in lean, but may be a cellar dweller in the area of lapsoidal differentiation (words I made up as to not offend anyone). Rarely do I see ‘world class’ organizations being world class in all areas.

Randy

Super Moderator
I think db found the phrasing I was searching for. Being world class has to have some defined parameters. In retailing Walmart is at the top, in beer drinking the Aussies set the standard:vfunny:

Top Bottom