What are the characteristics of a world class company?

R

Randy Stewart

Please explain

Toyota, another example, we have a plant in our area and many go other places to work because of the way they treat people.
I find this interesting. Were these salary personnel or hourly? I know Toyota will interview 3000 people and hire only 150 because they are looking for the best. If it was salary people it is easier to understand, they expect a lot from you. Overall surveys score Toyota among the top in employee satisfaction. It is different working for a company owned by a different culture, but I have never heard of Toyota treating their employees bad.

I recently went to a conference with Ford where one of the speakers was an ex-Toyota employee. When asked why he left the company he stated that working for Ford was a holiday compared to the work standard required of him at Toyota.

I can't see how you can have a "World Class" company without "World Class" employees.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I also found it interesting too since in the Georgetown plant they supposedly have a sign that says something to the effect our employees are number1 and customers are number 2. The supposed reason behind this is if the employees are not 1st the customers will never be first. Makes sense to me. They were hourly. From my understanding they had a big turn over when they first started and have abandoned some of their reqirements. They had all kinds of tests,imterviews, days of work,etc. We had a guy from my old plant that was hired salary and went to Japan for training. His comment was that if they try to work people the way they do in Japan they will have a hard time keeping people. Also know another salaried individual that is salary that took a pay cut to go there and said that if not for the training they provide he would go back to his old job. I guess the grass may be greener, but you still have to mow it and more often.

Last edited:
D

db

Jim, Jim, Jim

Knowing you Jim, you've known this information for some time. You have probably been fully enjoying us struggling with the issue while you had the answer! Shame on you!

But, now that you revealed the true answer, then I guess we all need to change our registrar!

E

energy

Re: World class company

noboxwine said:

Not much time to chat, but let’s see how I do. In my unadulterated, crass, but common sense opinion (sorry I had to throw that in again), World Class is simply another ersatz buzz-word that looks great on letterhead and on banners throughout the plant, but is absolutely, positively incongruous. If anything, it is a contributing factor to poor quality, for, like top mgmt, it’s only lip service. Poof! Where’s the Quality? The banner has it. Yet, with the rapidly accelerating decline in Quality, due to an Earth full of these ill fated, dim-witted and coy managers, if one were to actually define World Class objectives based upon today’s “standards”, it wouldn’t be too grueling to achieve. Remember, I have a certificate in my lobby that says I am good. Fore !!!! Buh, bye now.
:thedeal:

I thought I would regurgitate this previous post. I totally agree and say that you can call yourself anything you want. Disprove it!
:rolleyes: :ko: :smokin:

B

Bruce Epstein

World Class vs Best in Class

For me, there are two concepts:

there's "Best in class", which would apply to Walmart, Toyota, McDonald's, Microsoft, etc. -- namely, the company that others in their field (try to) emulate or surpass. We might not always agree with their strategy (or even appreciate their product), but somehow they always come out on top.

Then there's "World Class" which has the unspoken connotation of "some day we hope to be mentioned in the same paragraph as the best in class" or thereabouts. I have never met a true World Class company that had to put these words into their mission statement, only the wannabes.

Just my .02€ on a slow day.

Bruce

S

Steve MacDonald

Good Day,

I have just queried 1035 engineers and quality people on the IPC TechNet regarding the "achievement" of "World Class" 'Anything.'

The term came across regarding some production output discussions. (very exciting stuff...) and I though I'd see what they had to say.

So, Maybe we'll get some insight from "The other side."

I'll keep you informed.

Steve

R

Rockanna

World Class Manufacturing

Attached is a great "pdf" file of WCM.

Attachments

• wcmpm.pdf
    579.1 KB · Views: 590
S

Steve MacDonald

Wow.

That Pdf had me going. I saw the cover page, and then the next page was blank. I was LMAO. (Seemed strikingly appropriate--but then page 3 had an index, not as funny as blank pages) I'm reading it now, an its still mildly humerous, if not diligent.

As far as the Technical community I queried, they had nothing new to add to what you have all already surmised. Let me paraphrase.

"World Class is anything you want it to be. You can produce "World Class" good stuff as well as "World Class" garbage.

Having contributed nothing new (again) I will return to the comfort of my paperwork. (The CA's keep me worm in World Class Fashion.)

Good day.

Steve.

S

Steve MacDonald

I'm reading, still.

Humorous is the wrong word. (That was actually rude, and I apologize.) It's a useful reference. I know some folks who will love to see this, thank you.

Steve

P

pthareja

World Class

David Mullins said:
Probably because they had a sound strategic plan that was regularly revisited, measured their results, [italics]evaluated the results against others,[/italics] modified/created new strategies, used innovation, created learning work environments, learned from the best and made it better or cheaper, .....

db said:
To me 'world class' means you are the one the world looks up to. You do not benchmark, you are benchmarked. .....

and -ve attributes

David Mullins said:
stole IP, co-erced other companies employees, paid off politicians, tricked auditors.....
WHICH DO NOT MAKE WORLD CLASS?

But, the sure ingredients.....
PLANING, MONITORING & MEASUREMENT, CONTINUAL EVALUATION ( revisiting plans) INNOVATION, LEARNING ORGANISATION, CUSTOMER FOCUS. Is the recipe perfect?

Let's gather all the attributes!

pthareja

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom