What are the characteristics of a world class company?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Blast from the Past - Current opinions?

What is a 'World Class Company'?
What is your definition of 'World Class Company'?

Was 'World Class Company' a 'Buzz Word'?
Is 'World Class Company' still a significant buzz word?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Marc said:
Blast from the Past - Current opinions?

What is a 'World Class Company'?
What is your definition of 'World Class Company'?

Was 'World Class Company' a 'Buzz Word'?
Is 'World Class Company' still a significant buzz word?

There are some companies, sports teams, individuals, who simply perform and execute in a consistently better manner than most of their peers. We call them "World Class." But, the bar keeps going higher, so even they have to continue to sharpen and improve their performance.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I think 'world class' is a term losely used by business or economics writers to describe or differentiate companies that 'score' well in magazines such as Forture's 500 list and other related surveys.

It is a 'buzz' word used during the Michael Porter era. Like all terms coined by famous thinkers or authors they will gradually be replaced by some other 'flavour of the month'. Globalization and 'seamless world' are two such words which itself are on the way out.

What is the current 'flavour' ???.

R

ralphsulser

harry said:
I think 'world class' is a term losely used by business or economics writers to describe or differentiate companies that 'score' well in magazines such as Forture's 500 list and other related surveys.

It is a 'buzz' word used during the Michael Porter era. Like all terms coined by famous thinkers or authors they will gradually be replaced by some other 'flavour of the month'. Globalization and 'seamless world' are two such words which itself are on the way out.

What is the current 'flavour' ???.

When the term first started being used I believed it was the ability to compete with any world wide companies in terms of quality, cost and delivery.
The world wide market was achieveable because you had attained a level of excellance that allowed you to compete beyond the US markets.
Now I agree with Harry..what is the next buzz word? There have been a lot over the past 40 years and basically were rehashes of old, or rediscovered methods. Depends on how you spin the words.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
My company is world class because we say so in our mission statement.

seriously though, I have used "World Class" to further my own agenda in a couple of places... "If you really want to be World Class, we should do this, and this, and this."
It's a great button to push with some executives.

but it all comes down to buzz phrase.

W

wmarhel

At a conference a several years back, I heard a speaker remark that a company is either "world-class" or "half-@ss". He also went on to state that the company needs to determine in which sandbox it wants to play.

Wayne

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Andrews said:
This question is for the gurus.What are the characteristics of a world class company? How does a company go about achieving this?

Malcom Baldrige award would be the place to start.

Coury Ferguson

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Coury Ferguson said:
Malcom Baldrige award would be the place to start.
Yeah - I know there are some 'basics' like the Malcom Baldrige award and the EFQM, to name two. But put into your own words, what is a World Class Company? What aspects would you cite?

When ever I hear 'World Class Company' I cringe because it seems so vague to me. I guess I'm one who sees World Class Company as a 'buzz word'.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Marc said:
Yeah - I know there are some 'basics' like the Malcom Baldrige award and the EFQM, to name two. But put into your own words, what is a World Class Company? What aspects would you cite?
In my opinion, a "world class organization" perpetually drives dysfunction out of their processes.

Top Bottom