What are the consequences of having an expired ISO 9001:2000 Certificate

S

sullymatt44

What are the consequences of having an expired certificate for a few weeks?

Our registrar is UL - DQS and they are having conflicts with auditors and the scheduling of our re-certification audit. Our certificate expires 3/30/2009, and we want to have our audit re-scheduled to January.

UL - DQS response:

Please keep in mind that your next assessment is a Triannual. Your Certificate Expires 3/30/2009. By moving the date out to January may cause to experience and expired certificate for a few weeks. According to ISO standard guidelines, our recommendation to provide adequate time for renewal is at least 3 months before the renewal date.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: My ISO 9001:2000 Certificate is set to expire

What are the consequences of having an expired certificate for a few weeks?
Only your customers who rely on your ISO 9001 certificate could answer that question appropriately. Some organizations scrutinize the validity of their suppliers certs very carefully. Others (most?) are oblivious to it.

As a side note, ANAB has released a recent Heads Up on the prohibition of extending certificate validity.

See attached.

Attachments

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: My ISO 9001:2000 Certificate is set to expire

As long as customers are aware that the audit will take place, they will not mind if you have an expired certificate for a few weeks.

quality1

Involved In Discussions
If you're dealing with UL, probably no consequences. My previous company was re-audited/recertified the same month the certificate expired and no one had a problem with it.:D

S

SilverHawk

The biggest question is whether the customers insisted that the ISO 9001 certification MUST be a continum and there should not be a break in loop. Yet with the economic downturn and the many companies are slowing and scaling down, does the continuation of ISO 9001 really that important! It is the survival of the fittest! I am equally concerned whether any organizations have decided to postphone their Surveillance Audit or Re-certification Audit, until they see light at the end of the tunnel. Any delays in the continuation of the ISO 9001 certification is just academic and good on paper but the when the customers are not give us any orders, regardless whether you have valid or invalid ISO 9001 certificate, I think we should just concentarte on building up the strength to survive on bread crumbs and water.

Nevertheless, one consultancy company in Malaysia is so confident that thet foresee that company would engage them to conduct more training of their staff - they insisted that the company would not trim down manpower. Yet Western Digital decided to close its Sarawak plant and 1,500 employees have to go!

Just wondering how many companies have decided to cancel or postphone their audit to sustain the economic growth and just to maintain certification while 'waiting' for the good time to be back again! 1 year; 5 years or 50 years to come!

C

czv07yMI

This post has been closed a while... but I am curious about the postponing of audits also.

I am certified through 2013... being new to ISO... does that certification truly get voided if I do not have a documented surveillance audit sometime during each of the years?

Any information/advise would be greatly appreciated.

B

Boscoeee

This post has been closed a while... but I am curious about the postponing of audits also.

I am certified through 2013... being new to ISO... does that certification truly get voided if I do not have a documented surveillance audit sometime during each of the years?

Short answer, yes!

If your CB is ANAB (or similar) accredited, yes, the cert. will be void.

There are some unaccredited CBs out there who don't strictly adhere to the ISO/IEC 17021 requirements, so it depends who your certificate is issued by.

J

John Martinez

If your CB is ANAB (or similar) accredited, yes, the cert. will be void.

There are some unaccredited CBs out there who don't strictly adhere to the ISO/IEC 17021 requirements, so it depends who your certificate is issued by.
And I may add, to get your certificate back, you will have to go through a new initial audit instead of the reduced days on a periodic audit. In other words, "do over".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Example of Production Process Change having Significant Consequences AS9100C 7.5.1.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S IFU on web page - Consequences if the most recent one is not uploaded EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause10.2 Nonconformity and Corrective Action - Deal with Consequences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Costs, Benefits, and Consequences of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Open Medical Device Recall: Are there consequences? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Consequences of Major Non-Conformances during a Registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
AnaMariaVR2 Consequences of lost cargo in pharma vs other industries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Consequences of not implementing Corrective Action IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L CE Mark - but not really. What are consequences? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Consequences of letting the CE Certificate Expire CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 15
S Consequences of mixing Pb-free and Pb-containing components Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D AS 9101 Rev D - 12 Months of Data and Consequences AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
SteveK Medical Device placed on the market with no CE Mark - Consequences? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 22
I Any Consequences If I Lose My Supplier Auditor Certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Wes Bucey A really DUMB Nigerian phishing letter! "FBI" (USA) Email promising dire consequences Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
S Consequences of Shipping product with label not following CE rules EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna A Standard that would enforce tree inspections - unintended consequences? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
A Ring Joint Gasket Defect Types and their Consequences Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
Z Consequences for Poor Performance based on a Monthly Scorecard - Actions? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
A Gage R&R Criteria - under 10%, %EV, %AV, %PV and Consequences of Bad GR&R. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Dave.C Scary stories - the REAL consequences of poor quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B Consequences for repeat nonconformances - Carelessness, lack of focus Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Wes Bucey Lean gone wrong - Unintended consequences of some misguided attempts at Lean Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 42
A Communicating to our employees: consequences to customer of non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Consequences of Missing the Chrysler July 1st TS 16949 Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 31
M Moving to another location: Consequences for your Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 10
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
A EU MDR Annex I section 11.3 - Medical Devices labelled as having a specific microbial state EU Medical Device Regulations 7
O Inspecting paint and having workable standards in the supply chain Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P Received a minor for not having good measureables/goals. Need help with KPIs. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 52
N GDP - Having to provide a reason when writing N/A? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Having got ISO 13485:2016 are you dropping ISO 9001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Partial non applicability of ISO 9001 Cl. 7.1.5 (not having services)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Not having an internal audit during the year ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Having Fun While Learning ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
M Justification for Not Having a Validation Plan for a Critical Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
U-DOG Root Cause for a Form not having all info (traceability standard and the gage number) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
M How to compare 2 independent samples having 3 factors 3 levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
W Thoughts on having Safety Shower in ISO Class 7 Cleanroom ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Customer Escape of a part having features reversed 180 degrees Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K Calibration Standards - Master weight having more tolerance than our gram scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Having trouble with corrective action on external audit nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S Minor NC for Not Having Management Review When Scheduled Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
C Can a Company get away with not having Employees Trained to the Processes they use? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J DOE Analysis Experiment, 5 factors, 4 factors having 3 levels, and 1 factor having 5 Using Minitab Software 38
B Having trouble writing a directive (procedure) that points to the right place ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15