What are the consequences of having an expired ISO 9001:2000 Certificate

S

sullymatt44

What are the consequences of having an expired certificate for a few weeks?

Our registrar is UL - DQS and they are having conflicts with auditors and the scheduling of our re-certification audit. Our certificate expires 3/30/2009, and we want to have our audit re-scheduled to January.

UL - DQS response:

Please keep in mind that your next assessment is a Triannual. Your Certificate Expires 3/30/2009. By moving the date out to January may cause to experience and expired certificate for a few weeks. According to ISO standard guidelines, our recommendation to provide adequate time for renewal is at least 3 months before the renewal date.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: My ISO 9001:2000 Certificate is set to expire

What are the consequences of having an expired certificate for a few weeks?
Only your customers who rely on your ISO 9001 certificate could answer that question appropriately. Some organizations scrutinize the validity of their suppliers certs very carefully. Others (most?) are oblivious to it.

As a side note, ANAB has released a recent Heads Up on the prohibition of extending certificate validity.

See attached.

Attachments

• HU138.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 242

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: My ISO 9001:2000 Certificate is set to expire

As long as customers are aware that the audit will take place, they will not mind if you have an expired certificate for a few weeks.

Q

quality1

If you're dealing with UL, probably no consequences. My previous company was re-audited/recertified the same month the certificate expired and no one had a problem with it.:D

S

SilverHawk

The biggest question is whether the customers insisted that the ISO 9001 certification MUST be a continum and there should not be a break in loop. Yet with the economic downturn and the many companies are slowing and scaling down, does the continuation of ISO 9001 really that important! It is the survival of the fittest! I am equally concerned whether any organizations have decided to postphone their Surveillance Audit or Re-certification Audit, until they see light at the end of the tunnel. Any delays in the continuation of the ISO 9001 certification is just academic and good on paper but the when the customers are not give us any orders, regardless whether you have valid or invalid ISO 9001 certificate, I think we should just concentarte on building up the strength to survive on bread crumbs and water.

Nevertheless, one consultancy company in Malaysia is so confident that thet foresee that company would engage them to conduct more training of their staff - they insisted that the company would not trim down manpower. Yet Western Digital decided to close its Sarawak plant and 1,500 employees have to go!

Just wondering how many companies have decided to cancel or postphone their audit to sustain the economic growth and just to maintain certification while 'waiting' for the good time to be back again! 1 year; 5 years or 50 years to come!

C

czv07yMI

This post has been closed a while... but I am curious about the postponing of audits also.

I am certified through 2013... being new to ISO... does that certification truly get voided if I do not have a documented surveillance audit sometime during each of the years?

Any information/advise would be greatly appreciated.

B

Boscoeee

This post has been closed a while... but I am curious about the postponing of audits also.

I am certified through 2013... being new to ISO... does that certification truly get voided if I do not have a documented surveillance audit sometime during each of the years?

Short answer, yes!

AndyN

Moved On

If your CB is ANAB (or similar) accredited, yes, the cert. will be void.

There are some unaccredited CBs out there who don't strictly adhere to the ISO/IEC 17021 requirements, so it depends who your certificate is issued by.

J

John Martinez

If your CB is ANAB (or similar) accredited, yes, the cert. will be void.

There are some unaccredited CBs out there who don't strictly adhere to the ISO/IEC 17021 requirements, so it depends who your certificate is issued by.

And I may add, to get your certificate back, you will have to go through a new initial audit instead of the reduced days on a periodic audit. In other words, "do over".

Top Bottom