What are the core processes in a public service agency?

D

D.Salman

Dear All,
What criteria do we use to identify which processes are core processes in a public service agency?
Are there any specific tools or matrixes that can be used?
Regards

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: core processes in a public service agency

Dear All,
What criteria do we use to identify which processes are core processes in a public service agency?
Regards

Core processes are typically those activities within an organization that affect the Customer directly. In other words, any activity that would have a direct impact on customer satisfaction.

For a utility company (gas, water, electricity, phone) that would be any process associated with the uninterrupted delivery to the customer; activities associated with the installation of the service, billing, complaint handling, provision of information to the public, etc.

A process matrix can be used to categorize the processes (core-, support- and management) in an organization. Although not required, it helps to make the quality management system and its processes more transparent.

There are good examples in the Post Attachment List.

A search on "Processes" revealed this.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

Last edited:

Patricia Ravanello

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear All,
Regards

The definitive answer is...it depends...:)

Do you want to define the "Core Processes of your overall Management/Business Operating System"?? :confused:

OR

The "Core Processes of Product/Service Realization" :confused::confused:??​

My response to these questions would be very different.

As Stijloor correctly points out, a matrix is a great place to start...but you still have the task of defining the sequence and interaction of the processes in order to understand the mechanics of the whole system -

Listing all the ingredients of a recipe doesn't tell you anything about how they come together to become a cake!!. :magic:

Patricia Ravanello

Last edited:
J

JaneB

Dear All,
Regards

None exist that I'm aware of.

I have the same query about your meaning of 'core processes' as the previous posters.

But I would define your core processes as
those which fulfill the terms of your charter, your mission or your reason for existing - whichever term 'fits' best.

I tend to avoid the term 'directly impact the customer' as 'the customer' term can sometimes be a trickier thing in a public service agency than in a straightforward commercial business.

J

joshua_sx1

…I agree with JaneB, in fact by defining your core processes accordingly, you would probably end up with two type of customers… the government (or private sector) entity which support your funding (that is why you have to comply to their requirements), and the public (as the purpose of your existence)…

…I don't know but I had a feeling that there would be times when satisfying one of your customer would mean dissatisfying the other one…

Top Bottom